• This topic has 772 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 773 total)
  • Greek election – extreme left won
  • chewkw
    Free Member

According to the BBC the extreme left won the Greek election, interesting. BBC called the winning party extreme left. I wonder if they will become the Cuba or N.Korea (I assume they are extreme left too …) of EU?

BBC News

Apparently the Greek new Dear Leader campaign slogan was/is based on anti-austerity measure.

The question is how are they going to reduce their debts when they have nothing much to pay back? They will now demand more money to be pumped into their veins.

😯

edit: also why is one extreme more acceptable than the other extreme?

boxelder

Was it a ‘feta ccompli’?

jota180
    Free Member

If you squeeze people and then squeeze them some more till the pips pop out, they’ll eventually react.

Hopefully the technocrats will get send home to Berlin

CaptJon
    Free Member

good

chewkw
    Free Member

boxelder – Member

Was it a ‘feta ccompli’?

Feta is overrated IMO.

Southern Greek olive oil is the best. Really.

Unlike Italian lamp oil …

😀

mooman
    Free Member

I think Syriza winning is great. Merkel refused to even meet Alexis Tsipras recently I read.
    I think it is a big shake up of what Europe are trying to push through. Good on the Greek people 😀

chewkw
    Free Member

Now that the Greeks have demanded to be fed let’s see who will be the next to follow them to demand the same treatment. 😯

mooman – Member

I think Syriza winning is great. Merkel refused to even meet Alexis Tsipras recently I read.
    I think it is a big shake up of what Europe are trying to push through. Good on the Greek people

You do know that extreme left means Cuba or N. Korea, no?

The question is what if the German refuses? Will UK feed them then?

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Are Syriza ‘extreme left’? I doubt it.

jota180
    Free Member

They’re certainly a lot further left than any other Euro government

chewkw
    Free Member

ohnohesback – Member

The BBC labels them ‘extreme left’ so they must be extreme.

Does that mean the whole world is one country now and everyone can moved to Greece?

footflaps

Hardly extreme, 18 of the world’s top economists have written to the Troika explaining that the current debt burden is completely unsustainable, and Greece needs debt relief, not more austerity.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/stiglitz-pissarides-goodhart-call-for-debt-forgiveness-for-greece-2015-1

ohnohesback
    Free Member

These days that’s not a hard feat to accomplish.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the report does not call them that despite the OPs claim

Strange error as he is no normally so grounded and accurate 😉

bearnecessities

Bravo boxelder 🙂

I empathise with Poseidon this issue.

chewkw
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

the report does not call them that despite the OPs claim

Strange error as he is no normally so grounded and accurate

Ya, obviously you did not listened to BBC news just now … 🙄

“The result is being closely watched outside Greece, where it is believed a Syriza victory could encourage radical leftist parties across Europe.” (BBC)

I like the quote above from BBC because I can foresee the STW lefty masses jumping for joy now demanding more money because they deserve more money … 😆

Edit: Will the load shark going to write off their debts? If so does that not create a precedent that they(nation) can spend as much as they(nation) until the debt is so large that they too large to fail? 😆

lazybike
    Free Member

If I tell my mortgage provider I’m extreme left maybe they’ll write my debt off…

anagallis_arvensis

What does it mean for the euro?

bloodynora
    Free Member

Not unexpected and who can blame them for voting that way. The sooner GB gets out of this expensive vanity project ( which the EU has become) the better.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cant they just print some more money and hand it to Greece as it passes Go??

chewkw
    Free Member

lazybike – Member

If I tell my mortgage provider I’m extreme left maybe they’ll write my debt off…

I hope so otherwise you can always threaten them with more borrowing or debts … 😆

anagallis_arvensis – Member

Printing more money? Change the name of EURO to say other currency?

mogrim

Short term instability, medium and long term probably not a lot. Either Greece will stay in and accept Germany’s terms, or it’ll leave and the Euro will be stronger for it.

chewkw
    Free Member

Or EU can tax all Greek citizens, regardless where they work in EU in addition to the local tax, extra 5% on their earning/income?

For example, if a Greek citizen works in UK and get tax 20%, s/he will have added 5% tax (now 25%) to repay their national debts … yes? As a citizen all of them should contribute towards their own debts, yes? They can string up those in their own community that evade tax if they wish but that’s up to them …

I am thinking left by the way … as one big family …

😆

lazybike
    Free Member

Short term instability, medium and long term probably not a lot

Money traders will be busy earning come Monday…

julianwilson
    Free Member

Currently prediction (as i type) is that they will be one seat short of an overall majority. “Reinforced proprtionality” is a rather interesting system, no idea what this means in terms working backwards to guesstimate of their actual share of the vote.

[edit] also just for fun i will be trying to work out what our parliament would have looked like if (even with the misrepresentation of views and political wishes we get through tactical voting in fptp) if we had the same system in 2010 and all voted exactly the same way. [\edit]

Given how terrible things have been there for the poorest people in Greece, i will also be interested to see if they have had a bigger than usual voter turnout.

chewkw
    Free Member

julianwilson – Member

[edit] also just for fun i will be trying to work out what our parliament would have looked like if (even with the misrepresentation of views and political wishes we get through tactical voting in fptp) if we had the same system in 2010 and all voted exactly the same way. [\edit]

I would have new £500 notes in my wallet now and all the coppers would be smelted to make home heating boilers. 😆

codybrennan
    Free Member

Maybe the Greeks have got the right idea?

Its all fiat money that’s been borrowed anyway- not as if its actually underpinned with anything ‘real’.

Isn’t deciding not to play along with the consensual hallucination that this is actually money owed when the country is on the verge of bankruptcy a valid approach? Worked for Iceland as I recall.

dannyh
    Free Member

Extreme kleftiko?

Gets my vote every time.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Chewkw, actually off the top if my head with their %age share in 2010 the conservatives would have squeaked in an overall majority with about 2 seats to spare*. Unless you are implying that without Cable putting the brakes on, a wholly conservative government would have had us carrying monopoly money just to get a basket of shopping by now. 😆

{*Not adjusting for tactical voting, of course. Far too many variables and unmeasurables to imagine whether that would have made their share go up or down. I am sure plenty of folk in safe labour seats voted tory as the next best party cos they wanted Brown out. But i am sure panty of folk voted lib dem against their better judgment because they wanted to topple the incumbent conservative too. (Coughs). }

chewkw
    Free Member

codybrennan – Member

Maybe the Greeks have got the right idea?

Yes, too large to fail. Good idea that …

dannyh – Member

Extreme kleftiko?

Gets my vote every time.

One big family?

julianwilson – Member

Chewkw, actually off the top if my head with their %age share in 2010 the conservatives would have squeaked in an overall majority with about 2 seats to spare*. Unless you are implying that without Cable putting the brakes on, a wholly conservative government would have had us carrying monopoly money just to get a basket of shopping by now.

Not sure if Cable was the one or someone else but the bottom line is that everyone wants more money … £500 note anyone? 😆

ninfan
    Free Member

You can win an election by being radically left wing?

Would have loved to see Milibands face when the news came through 😆

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Does it matter – you can just imagine it, he’ll look awkward as hell, as usual.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Its all fiat money that’s been borrowed anyway- not as if its actually underpinned with anything ‘real’.

Being as most countries have long abandoned the gold standard all money is not underpinned by anything other than trust in the sytem, so Greece’s debt is no different to anyone elses.

dannyh
    Free Member

Does it matter – you can just imagine it, he’ll look awkward as hell, as usual.

Trouble is, that’s what we have now become – obsessed with personality politics.

Here’s someone looking confident:

And again:

And again:

chewkw
    Free Member

TheBrick – Member
    Being as most countries have long abandoned the gold standard all money is not underpinned by anything other than trust in the sytem, so Greece’s debt is no different to anyone elses.

Scary, but then we are all in the same boat so everyone’s happy?

dannyh – Member
    Here’s someone looking confident:

FFS! Can you use smaller photos as I need to scroll down further …

benji
    Free Member

According to the BBC the extreme left won the Greek election

The crucial words you have missed is according to an exit poll, the counting hasn’t finished yet.

I have never answered an exit poll honestly yet, and don’t intend to.

chewkw
    Free Member

benji – Member

According to the BBC the extreme left won the Greek election

The crucial words you have missed is according to an exit poll, the counting hasn’t finished yet.

I have never answered an exit poll honestly yet, and don’t intend to. [/quote]

I blame BBC for the hype. Bloody BBC … 😆

dannyh
    Free Member

I could, but I think the point is the same no matter what.

chewkw
    Free Member

dannyh – Member

I could, but I think the point is the same no matter what. [/quote]

FFS! If you can make the same point then think about others having to scroll down the page … more mouse moment etc … 🙄

Luckily we are on a new page now …

dannyh
    Free Member

FFS! If you can make the same point then think about others having to scroll down the page … more mouse moment etc …

Luckily we are on a new page now …

I have not the faintest idea what most of that meant. This is a good thing.

julianwilson
    Free Member

With all those lovely pictures I was hoping for the last one to be a topless Putin holding a dead bear.

On the subject of personalities winning elections, i present you John Major and indeed Dubbya. 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 773 total)

The topic ‘Greek election – extreme left won’ is closed to new replies.