Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Great XTR Di2 article/review on cyclingtips
  • dirtyrider
    Free Member

thats the RRP – £319.99 at CRC, you can pr-order and they will ship when its in stock, £15 off over £99 brings it down to £304.99 – so thats 25% saved already, more if you wait for one of the regular 10% off Shimano codes

iolo
    Free Member

That’s fine then. I’ll buy two.

Junkyard
    Free Member

OH £300 now that is a bargain 😉

I am sure one day I will have it but not till the price drops massively

dirtyrider
    Free Member

in the world of £2.5k carbon frames, £2k wheels, etc etc its not priced out of line imho, price is the same as the Dura-Ace, and if price is a concern then you shouldn’t be in the thread, you KNOW its going to be expensive, less so when it trickles down

nemesis
    Free Member

Mechanical rear mech for a sniff under £400 so XTR Di2 is a bargin 😉

http://www.ubyk.co.uk/campagnolo-super-record-11-speed-rear-mech/13771?gclid=CMLPjcLg8sECFfLJtAodnEkA8g

I won’t be spending that money for it but as it comes does in price/the range, I’ll definitely be considering it for 1x

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

this reads like a what wheel size thread already.

AlexSimon

Rear mech, cassette, shifter, display, chain, battery + charger will be about £800.
    Add cranks and a chainring.

It’s not far removed from where XX1 started out.

Non-Di2 XTR is a snip!

yorkycsl
    Free Member

it’s expensive enough running a full xx1 set up changing chains regularly & the odd cassette never mind going electric, I wonder if the majority of those that are posting positive comments dash out & stump up the roughly lets say a grand to have it on there bikes ?? or stick with what they currently have on board there bikes?

Yes it may be fractionally faster maybe even smoother but real world riding & Alps ?? will it really be that beneficial over xx1? unless your name is absalon.

nemesis
    Free Member

That’s probably true for many things people splurge on even if they convince themselves it’s better/faster.

I don’t expect that if I eventually get electronic shifting that I’ll really be any faster. I just like nice kit and I like the innovation of it so once it’s down to a more reasonable price, I’d pay for it.

njee20
    Free Member

it’s expensive enough running a full xx1 set up changing chains regularly & the odd cassette never mind going electric, I wonder if the majority of those that are posting positive comments dash out & stump up the roughly lets say a grand to have it on there bikes ?? or stick with what they currently have on board there bikes?

Their*

I would have it, but I suspect it’ll add weight to an XX1 set up as you only get half the advantage of lighter shifters and wiring, but still have to carry the same battery as with a 2x/3x system. It also remains to be seen if it will work with XX1 cassettes, and I don’t either wish to reduce the range, or have to buy a Shimano freehub body.

Weird comment though, you’re on a thread about a product, poo-pooing it without ever having seen it, let alone tried it, and you’re effectively calling the promoters fickle? Have you anything to add, or are you just going to name random geographic locations you don’t deem it suitable for?

A friend had a Di2 equipped Yeti years ago (modded 7970 Dura Ace), he said that he did notice reduced fatigue over long races (yes, I was cynical too, but he’s a lot faster than me), and that shifting performance didn’t deteriorate in poor conditions. So to that end the benefits are secondary, it’s not so much that fitting this means you’ll go faster. It’s more that fitting this means you won’t get slower.

Jason
    Free Member

Like it or not I am sure electronic shifting will become more and more common. I am building up a new road/cx bike at the moment and decided to go down the Di2 route. The price of the mechs didn’t seem too bad, I think the rear Ultegra Mech was just over £100 which considering all the stuff inside it seems reasonable compared to a mechanical version. Shifter/brake levers we’re the same price as mechanical. The bits I found expensive for the system were all the additional stuff needed, 6 x cables, 2 x junction boxes, battery and charger, that was about £300.

Shifting will be far more positive in the mud, so I can see it’s place off road, The rear mech has a feature that disengages the motors in the event of a crash. I am sure this is also in the XTR version, and could be handy as the only time I have damaged a rear mech is when I have crashed.

In case any one is confused here is a video on how the ‘Synchronized Shift’ works : http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/synchronized_shift.html. Surprised that it is supporting 3×10.

When the mtb version gets to XT pricing I will be interested.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Their*

Oh thanks for that no one had any idea why they meant till you did that
    Trust me you dont need to make any effort to look patronising 😉
    Should be a good punchline to that feeder line as well 😛

njee20
    Free Member

I am sure this is also in the XTR version, and could be handy as the only time I have damaged a rear mech is when I have crashed.

It is indeed! What remains to be seen though is whether/at what cost you can replace the other bits. If the mech is scrap, that it’s detached itself from the motor is a moot point! Cages are the obvious parts to get mangled though, and they’ve always been replaceable.

njee20
    Free Member

Oh thanks for that no one had any idea why they meant till you did that
    Trust me you dont need to make any effort to look patronising

Oh I know, but it grates, and perhaps he’ll get it right next time, when it may be in a context that matters. Not trying to be patronising, it just really irritates me.

nemesis
    Free Member

I hate it when people don’t know there theirs from there theres.

AlexSimon

[njee20 explodes]

njee20
    Free Member

There really annoying. But it’s not they’re fault.

*head explodes*

Edit: dammit, I exploded 3 seconds before my own head!

yorkycsl
    Free Member

njee20 I apologize profusely for my lack of education & grammar, very sorry, please do enjoy your electric whizzy bikes.

I’ll stick with the current set up on both of our Bronson’s thank you very much, one XX1 one XTR, oh did I spell that right chaps?

zilog6128

I’ll stick with the current set up on both of our Bronson’s thank you very much, one XX1 one XTR, oh did I spell that right chaps?

Translation: I’ve just splurged all my money on 2 really expensive bikes with hopelessly outdated technology and am trying to put a brave face on it 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Bronsons, plural, no apostrophe required. I didn’t ask what bike you had though, just wasn’t sure why you were on the thread, I’m none the wiser now. Why reply to a thread containing some genuinely insightful information with some irrelevant criticisms?

amedias
    Free Member

It may well have a place with the elite race whippets

Isn’t that exactly where it’s targeted?

XTR is precisely that, the top end Race groupset, moaning about the cost of it is a little disingenuous, cheaper groupsets exist for more day to day applications, you don’t have to put XTR on your everyday trail bike you know 😉

Eventually it will filter down and cost will be smaller, I would image there will also still be mechanical versions of groupsets for those applications where knocks and bangs are more expected, hence Zee and Saint etc. diverging from the XC groups.

I think it’s great that they’re pushing new tech at the top end, the good ideas will filter down, the bad ones will die.

The ones that are good but too expensive will remain top end, but all in all its a good thing for racers and non-racers alike.

yorkycsl
    Free Member

njee
    I thought singletrack was a cycling forum not a personal slagging of forum where you actually discuss all things cycling not whether some one miss spells something or as in your case clearly has a higher intellect & must surely be one of the chosen ones who has a much higher income than most of us. Yes we have two Bronson’s bought & paid for by means of hard work at a much lower level clearly than you.
    I bow to your superior knowledge & grammar yet again.

Also 100 lines, must not waste money on pathetic out dated technology.
    Dam I knew I’d F87ked up some where.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ Srsly? 😕

Do you want a colossal piece of fish for that chip on your shoulder? I don’t think I ever questioned your intellect, ability to buy expensive bikes etc. Just pointed something out that really irks me, feel free to ignore it and continue contributing to the discussion. You weren’t really doing that in the first instance. Anywho, we’re derailing what is an interesting thread. Back OT…

I think it’s great that they’re pushing new tech at the top end, the good ideas will filter down, the bad ones will die.

Totally agree! It’s interesting that Di2 on the road hasn’t trickled down below Ultegra, despite being in it’s second iteration, I wonder if that’s being held by Shimano, or if the cost is deemed excessive for a 105 level group.

nemesis
    Free Member

Anyone recall how much Dura Ace Di2 was when released compared to Ultegra Di2 now?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s interesting that Di2 on the road hasn’t trickled down below Ultegra, despite being in it’s second iteration, I wonder if that’s being held by Shimano, or if the cost is deemed excessive for a 105 level group.

For now, I think it’s important for them to keep the “halo product” element of Di2. I would very much expect that once SRAM start rolling out their e-shifting, you’ll see Shimano trying to push the market down in price, as it would allow them to say that they’d been at it for longer, and look, we’re cheaper! Cynical? Moi?

nemesis
    Free Member

They’ve made 105 11 speed. That keeps it comfortably competitive so they can keep electronic 105 for release when they need to (and can price it competitively).

amedias
    Free Member

I think pushing Di2 down to 105 or below would probably be a mistake, certainly not any further down.

It’s useful to have a cheaper mechanical groupset but still with decent performance that can be used for applications where electric would be too costly or fiddly.

I think/hope the same would happen in MTB, I can see Di2 coming down to XT eventually, but hope SLX would remain mechanical.

nemesis
    Free Member

Di2 is offered in addition to mechanical, not instead of eg you can still get mechanical DA or Ultegra.

njee20
    Free Member

They’ve made 105 11 speed. That keeps it comfortably competitive so they can keep electronic 105 for release when they need to (and can price it competitively).

That’s my point though – there’s been two iterations of 105 where they could have released it, but they’ve not, hence I wonder if it’s actually too expensive to be worthwhile at the moment. Consider if the cost reduction was absolute versus Ultegra, rather than proportional – if they can’t get cheaper motors etc.

Di2 Ultegra is basically the same cost as mechanical Dura Ace, which is quite shrewd, I can’t imagine many people would opt for 105 if it was £850, versus £1000 for Ultegra (say). It would have to be a whole price point down – the mechanical version is roughly 60% the cost of mechanical Ultegra – I suspect if Shimano couldn’t hit a similar ratio for Di2 (ie £600 or so) they’d not bother.

That said… if they did Di2 105 I’d have it on a winter bike in a heartbeat!

mrblobby
    Free Member

I suspect it’s recouping R&D costs for now. I can’t really see that cost of manufacture of Di2 is much more than mechanical (surely the shifters are a lot simpler for example.) Do seem to be paying a premium for it right now.

As for trickle down to 105 and beyond, I can see the rational in thinking that it’s for the higher level groupsets. Or maybe they just can’t see how to make a cheaper version of it that is not quite as good as the Ultegra one. Is there really much performance difference between Ultegra and DA Di2?

Oh and njee20 and yorkycsl… 😆

njee20
    Free Member

Is there really much performance difference between Ultegra and DA Di2?

On 6770 they artificially made the shift slightly worse than with 7970 in order to introduce a difference! No idea if that holds true on 9070 and 6870. Ultegra still looks clumpy – the motors are very obvious, whilst Dura Ace is more discreet.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I wonder if the majority of those that are posting positive comments dash out & stump up the roughly lets say a grand to have it on there bikes ??

erm yes?

mrblobby
    Free Member

I wonder if the majority of those that are posting positive comments dash out & stump up the roughly lets say a grand to have it on there bikes ??

Road bike, have it on one of them already and like it a lot. If I was building up a CX bike right now, and I could get hold of hydro Di2 STI, it’d have Di2. MTB, probably not till it’s had a couple of years to bed in.

ampthill

I was also wondering if in the end electronic shifting will be cheaper than cable operated mechanical

In low end group sets sti shifters are always expensive (in relative terms) and they must be really complicated in terms of number of parts and assembley. So electronic shifters will be cheaper. Wires can’t cost more than cables. Microprocessor control won’t be expensive on a mass market product. Batteries aren’t that expensive. Bike assembley might be cheaper with less need to set things up. You might not need a floating jockey on the rear mech. You might need to make less variations on the front mech (no top pull vs bottom pull)

So the question remains whether the motors needed in mechs are expensive and clever or whether once R&D costs are paid it will they will be cheap to make as well.

I remember when Aluminium was a premium over steel for bikes and record players were cheaper than cd players. Cd players need incredibly accurate control of the laser but cost nothing these days.

AlexSimon

mrblobby – Di2 Hydro STi levers are available now – Shimano R785

amedias
    Free Member

Di2 is offered in addition to mechanical, not instead of eg you can still get mechanical DA or Ultegra.

I know, but Ultegra mechanical is still more expensive than 105.
    If they did a 105 Di2 then where would that fit price wise?

It makes sense to have a cut off point and I think 105 is probably where it’s at, but hey ho, time will tell 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

If they did a 105 Di2 then where would that fit price wise?

It makes sense to have a cut off point and I think 105 is probably where it’s at, but hey ho, time will tell

Aye, which was my point – it has to be a worthwhile (from a perception point of view) ‘step’ down from Ultegra. If it’s near as dammit the same you end up SRAM’s daft pricing hierarchy where there’s real ambiguity about where things sit.

traildog
    Free Member

I wouldn’t. But just because it’s not for me personally doesn’t mean it’s not a good thing and that I can be positive about it.

I like the fact that they’re pushing the technology and I can see many positive things about it. However, there are many reasons why it wouldn’t be for me, cost being one of them.

turboferret

I already have Ultegra Di2 on my road bike and tri bike and love it. The benefits are a little more subtle on the road bike as the obvious advantage on the tri bike is multiple shifters so both on the drops and the aero bars. Am now going Alfine Di2 on my commuter, with hydro R785 levers, so hopefully that’ll be just as good.

Assuming I like the Di2 Alfine and belt-drive combo on my commuter I might migrate some components across from my cheap carbon 29er onto a custom frame to have a Di2 Alfine MTB too. Not convinced that I’d jump to replace my mechanical groupset on my MTB quite yet.

I’m sure in a few years time MTB Di2 will be a lot more common. I only paid €1k for my first Di2 groupset and did a bit of hacking the 2nd time round to save some money, so it’s no longer totally extortionate.

Cheers, Rich

flange
    Free Member

Di2 on an MTB….what a total waste of time. I mean seriously…electronics…on a bike…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Great XTR Di2 article/review on cyclingtips’ is closed to new replies.