Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Great train Journeys
  • fasthaggis

I was reading an article about the changes that covid will make for train commuters and train journeys in general.

Now I am sure that a lot will not miss some of those mind numbingly dull journeys and be glad of the opportunity to do more WFH, but it got me thinking (and reminiscing) about some of the longer regular trips I have done on the train. Times when there was less plugging in and switching off for the duration and people would be reading, looking out the window and up for a bit of conversation, those lucky encounters when you would meet some lovely, interesting humans and chat for hours.

I used to travel a lot from Edinburgh to Plymouth which usually involved a night train ,then what the older blokes called ’the milk train’ from Paddington to ,as the guard would often announce ,”Thee English Riviera” . Met some lovely people on those trips, with amazing stories. Great fun.

So, which three people (alive) would you like to share a long train trip with?

Mine would be.. Eddie Izzard ..Grayson Perry…Marina Hyde.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Prirot, Miss Marple and Jessica Fletcher. That way whoever killed me would be caught.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I do enjoy a train journey I will agree, as long as I get a seat. Very infrequent for me as not close enough to a station and more expensive than the drive usually.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    fasthaggis

and more expensive than the drive usually.

Yes,although I have been thinking of using the train down to the ferry ports for bike trips to Europe,see if that happens next year.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I like nerding out on trains. I’m fortunate in that I live in Edinburgh but work at least once a month in London and genuinely enjoy the train journey down. I get the sleeper there, and during Covid have been getting the normal train back so I don’t have to stay in London. Travelling 1st class up the east coast is wonderful.

I’m off on holiday to Cornwall soon and we’re getting the sleeper to London then the Cornish Riviera Express which all sounds very glamorous (even if the new GWR high speed trains just feel like commuter trains).

With that in mind, I’d travel with my wife, because she’s entertaining and puts up with my train shit, and a pair of interesting railway nerds that can tell me history and facts in an entertaining way (rather than spouting out how many rivets hold together a class 66). Maybe Paul Atterbury and Tim Dunn who did this excellent series on UKTV (really, excellent and UKTV…) recently-

https://yesterday.uktv.co.uk/shows/the-architecture-the-railways-built/

derek_starship
    Free Member

Most memorable train journey for me was Paris>Nice via Lyon on the original orange TGV.

Fast as **** Paris to Lyon and then a more sedate pace around the coast. Stunning views.

I think I’d invite Jezza Clarkson, Bradley Walsh and Oz Clarke.

scuttler

Travelling 1st class up the east coast is wonderful.

Aye York to Edinburgh is great so long as you’re sat on the coastal side. Even better if you’re going further north to Dundee or Aberdeen and get to cross the Forth.

white101

For many years in the 90’s I made the trip from Helensburgh to Glasgow Queen St and then Central down to Newcastle, heading home was always good but I did like this route and also Central Station (both Glasgow and Newcastle) are great buildings.

More recently I’ve been going on the ale trai(n)l from Newcastle to Carlisle and back hitting all the little towns along the way for a beer. Great fun and the scenery is great.

scuttler

Not the Ghan. ‘Great’ sure but dull as hell.

fasthaggis

Aye,the Edinburgh-Dundee route is a nice one,plenty to see and the bridge crossings are superb.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

A couple of years back I took the little slow train from Cardiff to Tenby and pretty much next to the sea the whole way. Very tranquil.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Great train Journeys’ is closed to new replies.