Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Great STW quote
  • boltonjon

“Each ride brings new sensations dictated by weather, riding partners, bike performance, trail conditions, trail choice, intensity of the ride and this changes the way we feel”

Extracted from Singletrack’s great article on riding in Cortina

i’ve given up trying to explain to non-mountain bikers why i dedicate so much of my time to biking – but this sums it up nicely

How does the STW massive try to explain to others why we bike so much?

piemonster

Sounded like a load of old crap to me

piemonster

It’s fun

tiggs121
    Free Member

“Being out on your bike is just fun. The more time you spend on it the harder it is to take yourself too seriously.”

RustySpanner

It’s better than walking.

And lycra makes me feel special ‘down there’.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I have a nightmare where I encounter a mountain biking new parent that tries to describe how much I’m missing.

(this is a dream, so the new parent is allowed to have time to mountain bike)

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Makes me feel ten years old again.

piemonster

Plus one

BadlyWiredDog

Isn’t that just low-rent, google-translated, euro-market speak for a generation that wouldn’t recognise good writing if it knocked on the door and dumped a pile of similes all over the cat?

And you wonder why mountain biking has no literature and a culture composed mostly of shallow, identikit, videos of inarticulate American yoofs in ridiculously baggy shorts ‘sending it big’. How do you even start to parody a culture where the leading role models talk about ‘feeding off each other’ while a keeping a straight face and totally without cutlery?

Anyway, I give you the equally hackneyed tee-shirt phrase: if I had to explain, you wouldn’t understand. Twice.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It’s stupid to ask people why the enjoy such activities: you just have to experience it for yourself.

Kunstler

The bicycle saves my life every day. If you’ve ever experienced a moment of awe or freedom on a bicycle; if you’ve ever taken flight from sadness to the rhythm of two spinning wheels, or felt the resurgence of hope pedalling to the top of a hill with the dew of effort on your forehead ; if you’ve ever wondered, sweeping bird-like down a long hill on a bicycle, if the world was standing still; if you have ever, just once, sat on a bicycle with a singing heart and felt like an ordinary man touching the gods, then we share something fundamental. We know it’s all about the bike.

piemonster

sweeping bird-like

felt like an ordinary man touching the gods

Gold

Cougar

i’ve given up trying to explain to non-mountain bikers why i dedicate so much of my time to biking

There’s a skydiving adage,

“Those who do, can’t explain. Those who don’t, can’t understand.”

I don’t need lycra for that, I’m special down there naturally.

Pigface
    Free Member

Down where 😐

piemonster

I’m special down there naturally

The antibiotics not sorted that out yet?

Cougar

The bicycle saves my life every day

Shall I close the thread now? I just read that out aloud to my OH and nearly teared up.

(I shall of course revoke my Man Card on the way out.)

Wookster

It’s a nice phrase in the article, but not one I’d use or fear of coming across like a nobber (this might be due to where I work, BS bingo in full flight with no sence of what is being said only how it sounds it drives me nuts)

I just smile admit its just mucking about on bikes and I’m addicted!!

boltonjon

I’m with you Couger

The bicycle saves my life every day

So true on so many levels

mintimperial

Because I **** hate golf.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

If I have to expain it to someone, they’re never going to understand.

grum
    Free Member

I have a nightmare where I encounter a mountain biking new parent that tries to describe how much I’m missing.
    (this is a dream, so the new parent is allowed to have time to mountain bike)

🙂

yunki
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    It’s better than walking.

I misread that

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Great STW quote’ is closed to new replies.