Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Great service from Osprey
  • Cletus

Just wanted to say thanks to Osprey – well know purveyor of bags, packs etc.

About seven years ago I bought a Flapjack messenger bag from them. It has served me very well and is still in good condition but recently both plastic buckles that hold the cover shut broke.

I contacted Osprey via their web site on Monday asking if it was possible to buy replacements. Today (Wednesday) I received  free of charge replacement buckles in the post.

Outstanding service!

jam-bo

A few free buckles worth a bit of free advertising…

They’re great. I accidentally melted some buckles (bag got pushed against a faulty heater). I asked for new buckles / repair to a strap and they replaced the bag for free. Awesome service. When I need to buy other bags it’ll be from them.

rossburton
    Free Member

Agreed, they gave me a pack of bite valves for free because I asked if they sold them. It’s the little things that make companies nice to buy from…

Cougar

A few free buckles worth a bit of free advertising…

Probably true. But wouldn’t you rather all companies looked after their customers like this rather then firing you off because you’re two days outside warranty?

And I thought I was cynical.

Cougar

Actually, there’s probably a broader thread to be had here.

Kahurangi

I’ve had similarly good service from CamelBak when I’ve worn out or broken parts of the bags and bottles I’ve had over the years.

Camelbak definitely do sell replacement valves as they inevitable break and drip!

jam-bo

Probably true. But wouldn’t you rather all companies looked after their customers like this rather then firing you off because you’re two days outside warranty?

yes. how you deal with warranty above statutory rights is a marketing decision

you can’t easily quantify goodwill and reputation, so on a spreadsheet giving away stuff you don’t need to looks like the wrong decision.

tthew

Huh, when I contacted them for a similar reason, they didn’t even reply! It was my fault the clip was broken and I found a replacement so no biggie, but not my experience. The longevity of their bags mean I would definitely use an recommend them, so their inattentiveness hasn’t damaged their reputation in this instance.

dove1

I had similar experience with Osprey.
    A toggle on an elastic strap got crushed (my fault) so I contacted them asking if I could buy a replacement. A few days later 2 arrived in the post FoC.

I have since bought 2 more Osprey packs. 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Osprey are based in a tiny little town in SW Colorado called Cortez, which my friend just happens to live in.
    Every year they have a big “garage” sale where they sell bags to locals super-cheap. They also give loads away to local organisations (charities/schools etc).

Sadly, I mistimed my visit and missed the sale!

Jakester
    Free Member

Yep, my experience too – I crushed a couple of buckles by trapping them in the boot of the car as it closed, I explained how it happened and they sent me replacements for free – even though it was clealry my fault and I said I was happy to pay.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They also give loads away to local organisations (charities/schools etc).

Their approach to their supply chain and overseas manufacturing facilities is exemplary. Good company, good people, good products.

jam-bo

^^^

a company not run by accountants…

Cougar

I expect many companies adjust their responses according to customer attitude, too. The common denominator in all these anecdotes is that you’ve all accepted the blame and offered to buy spares. I wonder if you’d gone in with “I caught my bag in the car door and your shitty buckles snapped, I demand you replace my ten-year of bag with a new one immediately!” you’d have seen the same outcome?

I’ve worked alongside several customer services teams over the years and there is a right way and a wrong way for customers to approach them. So give yourselves a pat on the back for not being dicks too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Great service from Osprey’ is closed to new replies.