• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by ton.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Great outdoors without the big climbs
  • DickBarton

Looking to get my daughter out on the bike in amongst the ‘hills’…well the big outdoors. Sort of like the Highlands but without big climbs as those will put her off.

So I’m being lazy and asking here, where would be a good place to start that will get us out but without big climbs – those can be introduced over time – the kind of thing that has a trail along a river, through some heather/trees and hills surrounding for some stunning views – up to about 20 miles to begin with.

She has seen pictures of Torridon and would love to do that, but only the flat bits and the descents as the climbs, she thinks, are too big for her just now.

Located in the Central Belt and happy to travel. So where should we be starting to get out for some rides?

Thanks.

scotroutes

Cairngorms….

Linn of Dee to Derry Lodge or White Bridge.

Loads round Rothiemurchus.

Gleann Eanaich.

Glen Feshie.

Dulnain River from Carrbridge.

tjagain

Some of the trossachs routes? Nice lochside paths in a few places but its years since I have been on them – both loch Venachar and loch lubnaig have traffic free paths one side – have to be an out and back tho to avoid busy roads

tomd
    Free Member

Pitlochry to Pass of Killiecrankie, cross the bridge, back down towards Linn of Tummel then back along the minor road on the other side of Lock Faskally could be a good shout. It’s got native pines, beautiful woodland, waterfalls etc. Great little loop, plus Pitlochry offers good ice cream / cake options at the end.

Going into autumn is the ideal time of year for it.

tourismo

I’ve taken my son riding in the Pentlands, good variety of trails and gradients. Nice scenery and easily accessible.

Steve_B

Glen Ample and return by sutrans route

Loch Laggan, Arverikie and Lochan Na Earba from the Laggan road

Loch Pattack and Culra Lodge from Dalwhinnie

Great Trossachs Path from Callander

Loch Ordie

Out of Aberfeldy on the Rob Roy Way southern (high) track along Urlar Burn and return on the lower north route from Tombuie Cottage

There is some climbing but Dad can push both bikes on the hills 😉

I need these ideas for the opposite end of the age spectrum as Alison balks at anything over 20miles and 2-300m rise – even with me pushing both bikes on the hills …

edit along the Black Devon and around Devilla – but you’ve probable done that

Extend the Loch Ard track to L Chon and then floow the Duchray Water back

DickBarton

How you doing @Steve_B? Thanks for the tips…afraid she isn’t going to have a helper pushing her bike as I’m needing all my energy for my bike!!!

yetidave
    Free Member

what about the lead into Ben Alder? must be about 15km each way, and great scenery.

tjagain

Loch Laggan, Arverikie and Lochan Na Earba from the Laggan road

good call – the climb up to the lochan is not too bad ( 300ft in 3 miles IIRC) and its an utterly beautiful spot and you can ride round the lochs and lochans

My memory of the route into ben Alder / loch pattack is there is a fair amou nt of up and down – but maybe thats a reflection of how tired i was riding it

matt_outandabout

Of course the real answer is n+1…. 😉

oldtennisshoes
    matt_outandabout

To add to place suggestions:

Blackwoods of Rannoch has some nice chilled and very wild/remove feeling bits, we did a few loops with the boys there.

Loch Voil – road down one side, over the stepping stones at entrance of Loch Doine, back down the track (one bigger climb). Feels like a proper adventure, even though it is half on road.

It may seem silly, buuuuut, start the Ben Chonzie ascent? You can go as far as legs will agree with, sploosh in a few streams etc, and roll back down when she has had enough.

Lady Mary’s walk along the Earn from Crieff was a favourite of the boys when little. Go up road and farm track, down with the river.

Know anyone in Callander? You can go from Killin to Callander, leave her at a friends place and pedal back or get bus back for car. Mainly downhill. Again, the lads loved this ride. Beavers en-route now as well.

ahsat

Having just ridden in Glen Affric today, I’d say as far along the gravel track as you want. Views were outstanding. Bit up and down but nothing too bad.

ton

keep em coming please.
    myself and the wife are heading up to scotland on 11th.
    staying in Perth, Nethy bridge and Inverness, so all the cairngorm stuff is easily accessable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Great outdoors without the big climbs’ is closed to new replies.