• This topic has 38 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by grum.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Great News! – STWers now embody high fashion
  • LimboJimbo

It had to happen eventually.

Wearing high spec outdoor gear as everyday clobber has now reached the fashionable types in ‘that London’ It’s called Gorpcore apparently.

Grauniad

Superficial
    Free Member

Who knew I was a trendsetter all this time?

razorrazoo

On-One / PX can do a collaboration with Primark

chakaping
    Free Member

But why didn’t they call it Gorecore? (after Goretex obvs)

What’s a gorp when it’s at home anyway?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

gorp
    /ɡɔːp/
    nounINFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
    a mixture of dried fruit and nuts eaten as a snack food by walkers and campers; trail mix.

CountZero

After all this time! Maybe I ought to start wearing 50’s clothing, appropriate to my age, as the stylistically inclined of GQ and the Daily Heil have always maintained I should.
    Nah, ****’em.

grum
    Free Member

Kendal Mountain Festival attendees were noticeably trendier dressed this year also. Everyone has been spending their lockdown cash on the less utilitarian end of outdoorsy gear for looking good walking their dog, is my theory.

But an oversized North Face puffa jacket over your Urban Outfitters joggers has been trendy for while now no?

Surely it’s only a matter of time before rappers start wearing ThruDark.

BigJohn

Was the Dryrobe a short-lived fashion phenomenon then?

drlex
    Free Member

Update of a 2019 Grauniad article.

Never heard of lil Yachty as a rapper before; thought he’d be a preppie Vanilla Ice.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Oh Lord I might have to send the Arc Teryx jacket back, and get the Buffallo out instead

bigblackshed

Was the Dryrobe a short-lived fashion phenomenon then?

A Dryrobe is only essential wear if you live within 50 miles of the coast. Or for walking the dog in inner city parks if you have been to the coast in the last 5 years.

sirromj

Surely it’s only a matter of time before rappers start wearing ThruDark.

Hopefully something more expensive and exclusive will come along, I fear ThruDark would be too good value.

scotroutes

A Dryrobe is only essential wear if you live within 50 miles of the coast

There is more water than just that in the sea.

gorp
    /ɡɔːp/
    nounINFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
    a mixture of dried fruit and nuts eaten as a snack food by walkers and campers; trail mix.

Good Old Rainsins and Peanuts

tjagain

A Dryrobe is only essential wear if you live within 50 miles of the coast

thats everyone in the UK then pretty much

tjagain

Does this mean the fashionistas have now developed equally bad taste as STWers? – ‘cos the number of fashion disasters on here is quite something

nickc

I hate to break it to you all, but you’ve not suddenly become fashionable, unless you are actually wearing outdoor gear as fashion. If you’re wearing it to actually go outdoors and do stuff…you’re still a nerd, sorry.

igm

https://www.66north.com/

Enjoy the prices everyone

wordnumb
    Free Member

Preppers signalling readiness for the end of days, the last man standing will not show sweat patches as the world burns.

el_boufador

On-One / PX can do a collaboration with Primark

Deserves more credit 🤣

Sandwich

the last man standing will not show sweat patches as the world burns.

Prince Andrew will outlive us all? Damn his reptilian hide.

grahamt1980

I only wear my outdoor gear because it is the easiest and closest stuff to hand.
    Sad that i have maybe become fashionable. It does mean that it will cost more to replace when i kill it though

binners

Sad that i have maybe become fashionable. It does mean that it will cost more to replace when i kill it though

Or that it’ll all be massively discounted in a few months time when the shops have all stocked up with it and the fashionistas have now moved on to wearing retro 80s shell suits and clogs or boiler suits and welding masks with sandals

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Why does everyone in Farnham have a Rab jacket? Is it issued to them at birth along with their sense of entitlement?

thols2

I like how the fashion look and homeless look are converging.

null

jimmy

Same happened with TNF 20 years ago and ruined the brand’s credibility being worn by rappers and drug lords, no?

grum
    Free Member

Same happened with TNF 20 years ago and ruined the brand’s credibility being worn by rappers and drug lords, no?

Yeah cos you never see NF used for proper outdoorsy stuff any more do you.

That’s K2 base camp BTW.

I mean yes many outdoorsy people now shun NF because because it got too popular, but that’s rather ironic when you think about it.

whatgoesup

Excellent, a flood of cheap new and used stuff in 6 months time then.

inkster
    Free Member

Always makes me laugh to see the thousands of Canada Goose parka wearers on the Streets of Manchester. I’ve lived here over 30 years and can barely remember a single day when it was cold enough to warrant the wearing of such a highly insulated, Arctic ready garment.

Even funnier to see some still wearing them in late Spring, delaying the jacket’s migration back to the wardrobe as they try to extract every last penny of the thousands pounds they spent on the thing.

Man’s not hot…..

BillMC

Nah, don’t do it

grum
    Free Member

I see a lot of Moncler and Canada Goose jackets round here also, surely many of them are fake? Can’t believe that many people are paying £1000 for a jacket for the school run.

igm

@grum

That’s K2 base camp BTW.

I think we can all tell which tent is hosting the rave. 😎

binners

I blame the BBC reporters

igm

I blame the BBC reporters

What? In grum’s picture? Blinking party animals.😻

inkster
    Free Member

Cointryfile, Grand Designs, Nature Watch etc have been a fashion catwalk for the outdoor brands for over a decade. Canada Goose made their name by supplying their stufff free to filmstars and filmcrews, conscious that images from film sets were often used in the gossip pages and style magazines.

The TV companies used to blur out the logos but they eventually gave up in the war against product placement. Kevin McCloud used to often wear a North Face puffa with the logo blacked out with marker pen.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I sold Grant Marshsal from Massive attack a TNF Nuptse about 20 years ago. Nothing in store fitted him so we had to get a xxxl in for him. Shop manager thought he was a shoplifter until he got his T/A Massive Attack credit card out to pay. He joked that he was planning some mountaineering next week but saw him on TV getting an award in New York wearing the jacket. ( I know cool story, hey)

meikle_partans
    Free Member

To be fair the insulation requirements for alfresco Buckfast consumption by the young team on a winter’s night in Glasgow, are roughly similar to that needed for a high alpine bivy. That’s why North Face, Berghaus and latterly Rab are so popular.

Decent jacket on the top half and two pairs of joggies and you’re sorted.

dyna-ti

” Enjoy the prices everyone”

Holy Crow. The jackets cost more than an entire Down Suit 😯

bikesandboots

I’m actually put off buying a quilted jacket for its intended winter outdoor purpose, because since looking into them, I now spot people wearing them about town.

grum
    Free Member

Motorway maintenance crews are apparently high fashion now too.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Great News! – STWers now embody high fashion’ is closed to new replies.