Great new e-van (contains classic Morris styling)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Great new e-van (contains classic Morris styling)
  • Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Looks cool, what is it? An NV200 with a body kit?

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

Love the look of that!

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/morris-commercial-revived-1940s-style-electric-van

It’ll be priced from £60,000 and set to be built in the UK at an undisclosed location, with the design an engineering taking place in a facility in Worcestershire.

The van is new from the ground up, sitting on a new modular platform and featuring a 60kWh lithium ion powertrain said to endow it with a “power-to-weight efficiency that fully maximises the range of the vehicle”. It can fast charge to 80% in 30 minutes.

kerley

Looks great. However, I don’t buy many vans (none, ever) but £60K sounds like rather a lot for a small van doesn’t it?

Premier Icon bikebouy
    Subscriber

Morris? Really….?

Like that has connotations of the glory days of BL..

And it’s too soon the rekindle the “good ole days”

Maybe they should re-think the name, keep the styling by all means but make it more 21st century rather than 70’s depression.

Markie

The PT Cruiser of electric vans.

kerley

I don’t know, electric Morris Marina next maybe (fingers crossed)

I actually saw a Morris Marina on my way home from work one night this week.

It was just how I remembered it from the 70’s…… broken down by the side of the road with an old guy looking under the bonnet.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Like that has connotations of the glory days of BL..

To be fair, most* people who were driving in the 70’s, are now either handing back their licence or shuffled off to the great picket line in the sky. So the memories are going to be hazy or secondhand. Also, hasn’t done Mini or Land Rover any harm.

*yes if you were 17 in 1979 you’re now “only” 57.

£60K sounds like rather a lot for a small van doesn’t it?

Tell that to the people buying T6 conversions.

To be fair, most* people who were driving in the 70’s, are now either handing back their licence or shuffled off to the great picket line in the sky. So the memories are going to be hazy or secondhand.

To be even more fair, there were still loads of BL cars kicking about in the 80’s and 90’s.

I’m “only” 47 but my first car was an Austin.

Premier Icon Speeder
    Subscriber

\Looks cute reminds me of the film Robots. Good luck to them. That is strong pricing.

Mister P

Tell that to the people buying T6 conversions.

But the van posted here is not a conversion is it? It’s an empty panel van. You are not comparing apples with apples. What’s a new T6 panel van cost? £30K plus VAT?

Looks perfect for artisan hipster-wankery duties.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

hence me posting it on here 😉

nealglover

Exactly what I need a van for.

<insert Shut up and take my money.gif>

willard

It does look very much like the street food van of choice that is the Renault van. I wonder how long it will be before we see them with the side cut out being driven by ageing hipsters looking for a second career.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

It does look very much like the street food van of choice that is the Renault van.

Citroen Shirley?

h van

Even if you are looking at full life costs and take into account lower fuel and maintenance charges, £60k still feels bloody expensive. You can get a new Citroen Dispatch, (basically the facelifted model of that H Van 😁 ) for less than £20k.

ElShalimo

Following the theme of hipsters making things much more difficult than they need to be

Convert your Ducato to a H van for lots of £s

https://en.typeh.eu/modelli.php

Could they do this but with a VW T1 or T2 inspired look?

Mister P

rusty

It reminds me of the International Harvester Metro.

Premier Icon thisisnotaspoon
    Subscriber

Over double the range of the e-NV200, so it’s at least a practical option outside cities. IIRC the nissan was about £32k by the time you looked at the not so basic model.

VW have been showing concepts for years and it even made it into their last “we realize that Tesla have pretty much hoovering up all the potential mid market EV’s buyers, please don’t buy one, the ID will be out in 2020/21/22/23/24/….. we promise” advert.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Er, yeah!
    null

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

It reminds me of the International Harvester Metro.

They did at the time, too 🙂 Note: radiator grille is a different way up.
    Morris JE

Er, yeah!

A bit to deviated from the original for my liking. I basically want the looks of the original but slightly more rounded and LED lights (and the electric engine, obvs.)

benv

Look forward to be served vastly overpriced icecream from one at some festival or another.

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

People still will start paying this for a van when there are zero emissions zones in city centres. The price will then be passed onto whoever is using the services that the van owner provides.

Premier Icon ratherbeintobago
    Subscriber

Er, yeah!

Now, if VW find a way to charge that from campsite mains hook-ups…

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

I basically want the looks of the original but slightly more rounded

Rounded is a really daft shape for a van, especially in the load area. Wants to be as square as possible with full size doors for easy loading of bulky stuff.

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

Just had a proper look at the website. 1 tonne payload and 5.5m3 load bay with 200 miles range – that’s a proper van then, not just a jumped up fashion accessory. Still think it’s expensive.

Edukator

My guess would be that it’s Nissan Leaf+ based. They’ll be using the British kit car laws that allow production of up to 200 a year without crash tests etc..

h4muf

J-Type innit.

Premier Icon epicyclo
    Subscriber

But the driver’s door doesn’t slide like the original.

A handy feature for delivery drivers in tight streets. They used to be driven around with the doors locked open.

I always liked them. Tough as nails.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Presumably it’s not actually a van in any meaningful sense. Look how far back the driver’s window goes in proportion to the wheelbase and compare it to the picture of the original it has taken its styling cues from. And the orignal had a reasonably large overhang beyond the rear wheel arch too – the new one has none. It’s tiny. You’d fit a few boxes of flying saucers and dib dabs in there and it’d be full. You could just about turn it into a modern variant of coffee rickshaw/tuk tuk hipster business but with £60K overheads on your wheels your skinny decaf chia lattes would be a gazillion quid.

Presumably its just for knobbing about in (and driving to the beach to look at the sunset obvs).

Premier Icon Bregante
    Subscriber

“You can get a new Citroen Dispatch, (basically the facelifted model of that H Van 😁 ) for less than £20k.”

You can get a type H body kit for the larger current Citroen van too. I

Edit: just spotted El Shalimos link above….

Premier Icon tthew
    Subscriber

@convert, read my post a couple above yours. Larger than it looks in the photos.

joshvegas

I like it.

I also think it’s nice they didn’t go for the vw or h-van look.

Premier Icon funkmasterp
    Subscriber

Looks like a milk float had a night of passion with a Citroen. £60k seems a tad steep. I’d love an electric car, but it’s not happening unfortunately.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.