Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Great Expectations
  • noteeth
    Free Member

The (critical) opening sequence was suitably menacing… and Miss Havisham was somehow reminiscent of Noel Fielding, which also added to the effect.

corroded
    Free Member

Hoping to catch it on iPlayer as I was out-voted in favour of Three Hackneyed Comedians in a Boat. It’s one of my favourite books (actually they both are).

swollen
    Free Member

Wasn’t as good as I’d thought it was going to be…………

noteeth
    Free Member

I thought the younger Pip was excellent – although Pip mk II is a bit too clean-cut. Lean’s film will always cast a long shadow over any other adaptation.

Ray Winstone rules, however.

SBrock
    Free Member

I studied it at A Level over 25 years ago, loved the book. I actually enjoyed it last night, looking forward to it tonight and tomorrow.

jon1973
    Free Member

Ray Winstone was awesome as normal. I really enjoyed it. Beautifully shot. The BBC doing what it does best.

SBrock
    Free Member

I agree, i t looked great on screen!

Wally

Loved it also.

avdave2

It was good but I think the writer missed a trick or two. I think he should have had a burning building with all the main characters running in and out of it at various points while we sat riveted on the edge of our seats trying to guess who would die.

roady_tony
    Free Member

got Gillian in it, nuff said.
    Miss Havisham, Miss Ravisham 😉

rewski
    Free Member

Best thing I’ve seen this festive period, not watched a lot yet though, was The Dr any good?

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I agree with noteeth young pip was really good, older pip was too well turned out too quickly. I thought it was very well cast, including Pip 2 (he just needed to be a bit grubby and rough round edges) the Blacksmiths house looked fantastic in some of the wider shots. Looking forward to it later.

deluded
    Free Member

I like the way it’s been shot with a dark and bleak, desaturated look.

Orlick – what a menacing cove he is. A great bit of acting by whoever’s playing him.

Ray was mustard, as is usual – he portrayed Magwitch spot-on as a right rough bastid but with an underlying humanity.

Very good indeed – and I’m looking forward to tonight’s episode.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yes – BBC doing good job with this one. Young Pip best so far – didn’t overact like many kids, but acted like a kid. Brilliant. Miss Haversham (Anderson) also very good and chilling with the self harm bits. Scenery in the marshes was great and quite a shock when Magwitch first appeared. Never studied this, so great to watch a classic from scratch. Cant wait for tonight’s episode.

anagallis_arvensis

Mrs anagallis’ granny was in the Lean version.

mashiehood
    Free Member

Studied at A level too, loved it and can’t wait for the second episode in glorious free view hd.

trailmonkey

don’t know the story so it’s all new to me. really enjoying it.

emma82
    Free Member

Love it! Just watched both episodes back to back. Have seen the original film and read the book but can remember very little about it. Can’t wait til tomorrow now 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

T’is brilliant.

andytherocketeer

Pretty good so far. Saves me reading the book, that I really ought to have read, but haven’t.

Used to live round the corner from the forge. As a kid, used to play in the playground near the church, and on the marshes. And Rod Hull used to live in “Satis House”. Obviously none of the real locations that Dickens based the fictional locations on were used in this adaptation though (at least the Kentish ones).

Klunk
    Free Member

Obviously none of the real locations that Dickens based the fictional locations on were used in this adaptation though

how do you know if ?

Saves me reading the book, that I really ought to have read, but haven’t.

noteeth
    Free Member

Cracking third (& final) episode.

corroded
    Free Member

Yes, enjoyed it. But, as my sister remarked, Pip was mis-cast – too pretty, too gormless. Winstone and Anderson did a good job.

terrahawk
    Free Member

I thought it was brilliant.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

It was indeed brilliant!

noteeth
    Free Member

They (inevitably) had to skimp over/change some details, but given that it was originally published in ‘magazine’ form, I’m sure Dickens would have appreciated the difficulties of adaptation for TV…

Most importantly, I fancied Estella.

roady_tony
    Free Member

quite a few changed details from the book – but overall a fantastic BBC drama, a jewel in an otherwise lackluster year of drama on the bbc – especially over christmas too, and that goes for all channels!

Estella – pfft. i’ve said it before and i’ll say it again :
    got Gillian in it, nuff said.
    Miss Havisham, Miss Ravisham 😉

trailmonkey

still haven’t worked out, what happened to the fortune ?

oh, and there’s an armando ianucci biography of dickens on at 9.00 tonight on one of the beeb channels.

Blackhound

As trailmonkey said – what happened to the fortune?

Miss Haversham looked better then the ‘beautiful’ young Estella though.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Great Expectations’ is closed to new replies.