Great Children's Authors

Home Forum Chat Forum Great Children's Authors

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Great Children's Authors
  • rewski

My boys enjoy David Walliams, Jacqueline Wilson and Michael Rosen.

andeh

I used to love Anthony Horowitz when I was younger, Philip Pullman too.

Premier Icon paulosoxo
    Subscriber

I best add, my wife’s a primary teacher, and will kill me if she reads this! I’m trying to look like I know what I’m doing here. 🙂

Premier Icon DirtyLyle
    Subscriber

Walliams is very Dahl-esque, though he’s really 9+. I guess if you’re reading them.
    For kids of your lot’s age the Dr Seuss books are excellent, and there’s looooads of them.
    If the oldest is really keen then getting them into some of the long series is a good one. They’re not exactly high literature, but series like Rainbow Magic, Secret Kingdom and Magic Ballerina for girls; and Beast Quest for boys are really good. Kids get hooked on them.
    Slightly older books that you could read them (but with slightly ‘older’ topics) are series like Wimpy Kid, Big Nate, Dork Diaries and Norm are really great and funny. They’re also illustrated to encourage the kids to read. One of the current favourites is a new one called Monster and Chips, which is brilliant.

Saccades

arther ransom?

rattrap

Girls or boys?

My daughter is sitting here saying she would recommend the Enid Blyton books

Naughtiest Girl
    Faraway Tree
    Malory Towers
    Wishing Chair

etc.

Premier Icon paulosoxo
    Subscriber

We’re currently winging our way toward the end of a Roald Dahl box set, and I quite like the bed time routine of a couple of chapters of silliness each night. Who else has a prolific back catalogue that we can pick up cheap enough and keep a Six and Three year old entertained at bed time?

Any ideas?

Douglas Hill is excellent, I thoroughly enjoyed his books

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/douglas-hill/

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash
    Subscriber

My 6 year old has discovered Enid Blyton and the Naughty Little Sister books

For boys, Walliams may be a bit old for them – my lad loved the Mr Gum and Horrid Henry

Which suggests that girls really do mature more quickly….

Premier Icon vinnyeh
    Subscriber

All old, and rather silly…

J P Martin’s Uncle books
    Pippi Longstocking
    Doctor Doolittle
    Professor Branestawm

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

Dick King-Smith is prolific and usually entertaining, but shorter books.

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

That reminds me, if you’re local enough you can have this lot, we’ve had a clearout but they haven’t got as far as a charity shop yet. All decent enough nick, we recycled the battered and torn ones. Free to a good home. Doncaster.

Premier Icon paulosoxo
    Subscriber

Midlifecrashes, thanks, but we’re a couple of hours up the road.

The rest of you, thanks! I’ve been on Amazon and spent a small fortune.

X

mogrim

The mighty Captain Underpants is also a must.

The rest of you, thanks! I’ve been on Amazon and spent a small fortune.

I used to do the same until I totted up what I was spending month on month. That’s when I joined the local library and have used them for 90% of books in the 3 yrs since. It’s made even easier when you can reserve what you want online + there’s no fee for kids’ books. Job done.

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

What about the Just William stories if you can.still get them Bygone era but I enjoyed them as a kid and I am not that old (probably).

logical
    CountZero

Arthur Ransome’s books are a must. Very much of their time, (between the wars), but great storytelling, and just as enjoyable for adults; I’m gradually getting the whole collection in iBooks.
    I also recommend Alan Garner, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alan-Garner/e/B001K8N5ZI
    In particular The Owl Service, The Moon Of Gomrath and The Wierdstone of Brisingamen. Elidor is very good, too.
    They can be a bit dark, and some more sensitive children might find them a bit too much to handle, Owl Service is particularly dark, it was made into a very good TV series years ago.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Give it a couple of years, but I Am David by Anne Holm is wonderful.
    As are The Silver Sword and There’s No Escape (and pretty much everything else) by Ian Serraillier.

The Sherlock Holmes stories are perfect for slightly older kids too – expands their vocab, teaches them a bit of history and obviously very entertaining too. 🙂

CountZero – Member

Arthur Ransome’s books are a must. Very much of their time, (between the wars), but great storytelling, and just as enjoyable for adults; I’m gradually getting the whole collection in iBooks.

I only read Swallows and Amazons for the first time last year – what an utterly joyous book.
    Currently collecting the others myself.
    It’s never too late to read a good book. 😀

Arthur Ransome and Richmal Crompton +1. Magical stuff. I sort of enjoyed Alan Garner’s stuff aged about 9-10 years old. Depending on age, Dahl’s The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar will fire the imagination.

gwaelod

The rover adventures/giggler treatment series By Roddy Doyle.

Little creatures stealing dog turds and leaving them in the path of adults that had been horrible to children…..brilliant.

gwaelod

Artemis Fowl series……..fairies with laser cannon

IHN

Professor Brainstawm – I loved him! 🙂

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Great Children's Authors’ is closed to new replies.