Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Great bit of art…
  • matt_outandabout
    andyl
    Free Member

That’s cool.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Very cool indeed!

Reminds me of this guy – http://www.willard-wigan.com/gallery.aspx

I met him on a flight back from somewhere or other. Really fascinating guy. He had a gadget that looked like a wall light with him, but was a portable “viewing device” to see some of his art. Astonishing stuff!

Muke
    Free Member

That’s a great site, some cool stuff on there

Thanks for the link 😀

CountZero

Beautiful work, that’s really lovely stuff. Thanks for the link. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dats well cool.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Uhhh, pardon my pedantry, but that’s an image cut into a leaf. A craft, yes, applied art maybe, but great art it certainly is not.

johndoh
    Free Member

Tend to agree with muddy. Sorry.

crikey
    Free Member

Uhhh, pardon my pedantry, but that’s an image cut into a leaf. A craft, yes, applied art maybe, but great art it certainly is not

Gis some great art then…

muddyfunster
    Free Member

jam-bo

But that’s just some gold leaf and paint stuck on some canvas.

deluded
    Free Member

I can take it or leaf it, personally.

crikey
    Free Member

That is great art, but on one level is just a bit of fancy painting and decorating…

Open your mind to what art can be, dawg.

RustySpanner

You saps are all barking up the wrong tree.

My favourite artist:

crikey
    Free Member

Not so good at skirting boards, that chap…

RustySpanner

Great at walls though 😀

tazzymtb

muddyfunster- you may be unwashed but the use of “funster” in your user name is somewhat misleading as you are mr grumpy pants personified. 😀

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

fuddymunster

TheFlyingOx

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVJOQG_bpQM[/video]

muddyfunster
    Free Member

tazzymtb

muddyfunster- you may be unwashed but the use of “funster” in your user name is somewhat misleading as you are mr grumpy pants personified.

Sometimes very!

jam bo

But that’s just some gold leaf and paint stuck on some canvas.

crikey

That is great art, but on one level is just a bit of fancy painting and decorating…

Open your mind to what art can be, dawg.

I’m not really going to get drawn into some sort of churlish debate about what is and isn’t art but suffice it to say I have a broader and more open minded gauge than most.

mikey74
    Free Member

Art = Anything that doesn’t have any other use beyond it’s aesthetic qualities.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m not really going to get drawn into some sort of churlish debate about what is and isn’t art

Probably best not to say something like…

Uhhh, pardon my pedantry, but that’s an image cut into a leaf. A craft, yes, applied art maybe, but great art it certainly is not.

when the objects in the OP’s link are obviously beyond “craft”.

brakes
    Free Member

he could have ironed the sheet

crikey
    Free Member

I’m not really going to get drawn into some sort of churlish debate about what is and isn’t art but suffice it to say I have a broader and more open minded gauge than most plants

I be Mr. Fix it fer ya!

johndoh
    Free Member

Art – I’d rather spunk £100 on an original Klimt than an original ‘Bloke who can cut a tree into a leaf’.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

deadlydarcy

when the objects in the OP’s link are obviously beyond “craft”.

No. Not in the slightest.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No. Not in the slightest.

I thought you said you weren’t getting drawn in.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Damn it!!

somafunk

Personally i don’t get Klimt, spent a fair chunk of an afternoon wi an old gf (a fine art graduate) as we both sat in the Belvedere viewing the original under the influence of some very decent blotter acid but i just did not get into it at all, Jackson Pollack on the other hand…now that is my kinda art as i seem to get drawn further and further in till i start to see visions in his brush strokes.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Damn it!!

😀

Tbh dude, as countless debates on STW have shown, it’s pointless trying to draw an arbitrary line where one crosses into “art”. Probably best to leave it in the eye of the beholder. Then we’re all happy with what visual and sensory things enrich our souls.

RustySpanner

Jackson Pollack on the other hand…now that is my kinda art as i seem to get drawn further and further in till i start to see visions in his brush strokes.

Agree – Rothko has much the same effect on me too.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Sort of ephemera that appeals to the visually unaware when wandering round a craft stall.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh look, another of STW’s Mr Angrys has dropped in.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Angry ❓
    Lol

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Mr Casually Insulting then.

Err, lol.

RustySpanner

deluded
    Free Member

Sort of ephemera that appeals to the visually unaware when wandering round a craft stall.

What I wanted to say, but not smart enough after a few pints.

MrSmith
    Free Member

How is a different opinion insulting?
    I thought I was just stating the obvious 😆

muddyfunster
    Free Member

somafunk – Member

Personally i don’t get Klimt,

I was going to stick up Caravaggio, but decided not to because it’s just a bit too obvious. I chose a Klimt for a few reasons. His technique, his technical ability was amazing. Just stunning, total mastery of anatomy and proportion. Stylised, full of emotion and expression and believable at the same time. His sketches show this best, he was technically as good as a renaissance master. Then his painting is a technical tour de force too, just his brushwork alone is stunning, but when combined mixed media (so naturally and effectivley) it becomes something else. Then, quite beyond that, the image has become iconic, it’s become popular cultural, iconic, cliched even.

So whilst you may not love it, I think it represents a lot of the key values of what it means to be great art. Not that those are “rules”. But it’s hard to argue with it imo.

somafunk

Don’t get me wrong m-funster – Klimt is ok but i just don’t like or appreciate his so called “erotic style” and whilst i can admire the incredible detail and uncontrollable desire as expressed by the tight embrace from the male perspective against the the woman’s seemingly stand-offish stance in the “KIss” it was the initial complexity of the painting which was the non-deal breaker for me – i don’t like the fussy nature at all, you’d have got on well with my ex as she was fascinated by all his works and in fact i think she now works in venice (we dropped out of touch over 10yrs ago) where as i loved Pollack as I’ve mentioned along with the likes of the 1969 Rothko “suicide piece” as posted earlier, I am more than content to sit for hours at a time in front of any pollack or rothko work, sit me in front of rothko’s tryptichs and you’ll have to remind me to eat, shit and piss never mind breathe….i’m not joking or saying that for the stw effect either as they seem to mess with my head and i truly don’t understand why i find them so transfixing to view?, which i guess is what art is all about – questioning yourself, after all they do appear rather simple, it’s confusing, it messes with your presumptions, they make me feel uneasy but they trully deserve a valid response from the idle viewer and that is why i get excited bout them.

I’ve tried many times to paint something similar on my facing living room wall as i have a stove mid-mounted set flush in my wall and despite trying to copy his art colour for colour, brush stroke for brush stroke they always turn out a friggin mess so that’s why my wall is now has the plaster ripped off back to brickwor – i’ve tried so many times to paint on top of paint that i need to get it re-plastered smooth.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Great bit of art…’ is closed to new replies.