• This topic has 19 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Watty.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Great albums from artists you thought were a bit rubbish.
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

I was unaware of Eric Prydz apart from his God awful ‘Call On Me’ (due mainly to the video)….. but then I listened to his album ‘Opus’ and I have to say it’s a great album.
    Are there any any artists you’ve thought are a bit crap, then you’ve discovered they’ve actually made a pretty decent album on the sly?

tartanscarf

Joshua Tree U2.

redmex
    Free Member

Peter Gabriel So, Franz Ferdinand same name album

easily
    Free Member

I’m not much of a rock fan, but I love Led Zeppelin 4

… as long as I can get to the ‘stop’ button before ‘Stairway to Heaven’ starts.

winston
    Free Member

Primal Scream  Screamadelica

U2  Zooropa

llama

Never really got yer trad jazz until a friend gave me kind of blue

Nice

failedengineer

You mean modern jazz, shirley?

MartynS

Taylor swift…

slowoldman

Kind of Blue, Trad Jazz? Er… No. Kenny Ball is Trad Jazz.

choppersquad
    Free Member

Yep….Taylor Swift is another of my guilty secrets.

33tango

Prefab Sprout. Any Album – 25 years later I now realize that Paddy McAloon was an absolute wordsmith

Caher

Currently rediscovering Kraftwerk and Radiohead which I never particularly liked at the time.

CountZero

Great albums from artists you thought were a bit rubbish.

Peter Gabriel

You have got to be shitting me! What do you base that assertion on? Gabriel has never recorded anything that anyone could conceivably call ‘rubbish’. Phil Collins, on the other hand…

athgray
    Free Member

Currently rediscovering Kraftwerk and Radiohead which I never particularly liked at the time.

Radiohead are an interesting suggestion and I think an avenue for a slightly different thread.

cdoc
    Free Member

Gabriel has never recorded anything that anyone could conceivably call ‘rubbish’.

I think that you missread the thread title. ‘artists you thought were a bit rubbish’.

David Bowie. Never really liked his stuff, but the bowie bbc radio theatre (2000) album is excellent. Well, about four or five track are really intense. Props to the sound guy on that one.

el_boufador

Paul Simon Graceland

taxi25
    Free Member

Never really got yer trad jazz until a friend gave me kind of blue

Strangely I’m listening to it right now 😎. And I don’t even really like jazz, but it’s fitting right in with a rum and cigar moment 🥃🥃

jree
    Free Member

I think there is a genuine respect for Taylor Swift generally. You’d never buy an album but if you’ve an ear for music there’s something there.

Totally agree on prefab sprout too.

It took me until my thirties to realise how good the pet shop boys were.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Radiohead are an interesting suggestion and I think an avenue for a slightly different thread.

Aren’t all Radiohead fans secretly yearning for them to release another one like The Bends?

Watty

Prefab Sprout – 36 years ago I realised that Paddy McAloon was an absolute wordsmith

👍😃

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Great albums from artists you thought were a bit rubbish.’ is closed to new replies.