Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Grease – Which one for general dutys, eg headset bearings, BB…
  • goby

Ok what do you all use or recommend as just ran out of my old tub of pace RC7, what would you recommend to replace with?

qwerty
    Free Member

benpinnick

Maxima Waterproof

goby

Great chaps gone for the waterproof one. 🙂

ajantom

Seriously, don’t buy bike specific stuff. It’s just rebranded grease in a smaller container, with a massive mark-up. In the same way you pay about 10 times more for bike specific brake oil.

Something like this 500g Comma Grease or this Castrol Multi Purpose Grease are pretty much identivcal to the Pace R7 grease, and one 500g tub will last you ages.

cokie

+1 ajantom- I use the Castrol Multi Purpose Grease, linked above. Cheap, good quality and lasts ages. I’ve always used it to pack bearings and other maintenance. Never had an issue with it and it’s waterproof.

mark90
    Free Member

I’m currently using a tub of Lucas Red ‘N’ Tacky. Very similar to the Maxima grease, except for colour, and as we all know red is faster 🙂

TimothyD
    Free Member

I’m starting using Green Oil because of less impact on the planet. I’m the sort who’ll check bearings half yearly or yearly, so that should be often enough to start with to see how it’s doing.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I used to use Castrol multipurpose but its not that good. Its OK but there are much better alternatives that last longer and considering how long a tub lasts the cost isn’t an issue. I now use Morris K42EP or Mobil xhp 222 (the stuff hope use in hubs).

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Mobil XHP222 as Andy says, best of stuff.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with the Castrol multi-purpose stuff. I’ve always used it – on car CV joints, bikes. Never had a problem with it and when I’ve opened up BB’s or headsets after years it looks fine, even used to use it on the sailing dingy launch trolley wheels via a grease nipple and grease gun. Not saying it’s the BEST GREASE IN THE WORLD (in my best Jeremy Clarkson voice) but it’s plenty good enough for bike duties.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Yes it’s plenty good enough but not as good as others.
    Plus the colour is all wrong. I will only use red or blue grease on my bike!!!

ransos
    Free Member

Comma bearing grease. Lasts ages, comes in a big tub, costs very little.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Grease – Which one for general dutys, eg headset bearings, BB…’ is closed to new replies.