• This topic has 58 replies, 40 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kcal.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • Grayson Perry interview in S124
  • markrh
    Free Member

Yeah, it does read like the interview got off to a bad start for some reason. Did the interviewer turn up wearing the same dress as the subject? Never goes down well…

DezB
    Free Member

Actually, having glanced through it again – he’s an ex-XC racer living in London, who hates driving.. and Hannah wonders why he doesn’t feel part of some MTB community.. hmm.

ajantom

I liked it, it was a bit uncomfortable in places (you could feel the palpable friction between the two). But as an interview that highlighted the differences between an MTBcentric worldview, and that of a keen cyclist who isnt that bothered about belonging to a ‘tribe’ it was great.

I’d be more I interested in what Geoff Apps has to say about MTB

This x100. Geoff is a really interesting guy, and an interview (and ride) with him would make great copy.

I’ve absolutely loved going out for a chat and pootle with him in the past. He’s a great engineer, with a take on things that is different from the norm.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Actually, having glanced through it again – he’s an ex-XC racer living in London, who hates driving.. and Hannah wonders why he doesn’t feel part of some MTB community.. hmm.

Hence my wondering who set the interview up. He doesn’t appear much interested in MTB and Singletrack is sort of an MTB mag. Publicist thought it was a good idea? I’ve read interviews with him before and this one probably nailed the reality best.

stwhannah

I just discovered there’s a thread on this article, so here I am. I can answer the question of who set it up: I did. I’ve always loved his work, and find the way he talks about art really interesting. On the back of his work on maps, I asked to go and talk about maps, the way we create our own internal map of the world around us through trails, and the interconnected nature of the riding community.

As you hopefully realise if you’ve read other things I’ve written, as well as fun, and fitness, I see mountain biking as a means to new and interesting relationships and friendships, and also as a means of connecting us with our environment. As some of the rest of you have pointed out, that all seemed to me to fit with some of the themes of his art.

It didn’t work out like I imagined or hoped, which was quite a disappointment. I left it, went back to the interview after the initial feeling had worn off, but the content that caused it was there. So, it’s my honest take on my experience that day.

Glad some of you liked the article. Sorry some of you didn’t. Maybe whatever I write next you’ll like more, or even less.

Never meet your heroes?

kayak23

Nice one Hannah 👊

wwaswas

Thanks Hannah 🙂

stwhannah

Oh, and I’d love to talk to Geoff Apps! I’ll add it to the ‘one day…’ list.

ajantom

Oh, and I’d love to talk to Geoff Apps! I’ll add it to the ‘one day…’ list

He’s genuinely a lovely (and eccentric!) bloke. I could send you his mobile no and email address if you’re interested?

stwhannah

Thanks @ajantom If he’s not in Chipps’ rolodex of all the bike world, I’ll know where to ask! For now, I have about 15,000 other words I need to get written before starting on new things. I had thought GP’s agent would be like ‘yeah, we’ve got an interview slot in October 2020…’. I’ve got a Jez Avery thing on the go right now. Oh, and a Stnaton and a date with the Tweed Valley 🙂

mlke
    Free Member

Oddly enough, just before reading the article I’d heard him on the radio taking an anti-intellectual / anti-thought stance. Talking shIte about how he didn’t care about facts and thought but it being the time for popularism and emotion.
    We have to live with Brexit, Trump and measles outbreaks, wouldn’t it have been good if those in positions of influence took a stand?
    It’s a shame Hannah didn’t let his pink tyres down or steal his bear.

mudrider
    Free Member

Bruise Willies

There was a Geoff Apps interview in an old issue of Privateer that was interesting; I wonder if he’s been up to much?

Geoff continues to tinker with off-road bicycles though he is holding fire on publicising his latest project until it is completed.

montgomery
    Free Member

https://play.acast.com/s/rhlstp/c6b3a6ae-3a7c-4ea3-9ddd-4b9f03019a0b

Worth a listen, does touch on mountain biking briefly.

sc-xc

I’m a big fan of RHLSTP (RHLSTP), and this was one of the very best.

montgomery
    Free Member

I think the Brian Blessed episode has it for the win…

sc-xc

I enjoyed that one less, it was a bit too much for me.

I found Greg Davies the funniest, as in proper laughing funny…and I always enjoy Buckles.

montgomery
    Free Member

Yes, the first Greg Davies one had me laughing out loud on a bus like a nutter, quality. One of the most interesting was Jess Thom, really enjoyed that one.

senorj

I never read the article 7 months ago, but I will now. Judging by your comments , I think gp and I would get on.
    Bumped into him in Epping and Friston!

kcal

bizarrely, read this thread and never got around to reading the article at the time.
    Bit of a binge last night got me mostly caught up.

Like GP as a character and my daughter thinks he’s great.

Tried to keep open mind on the article but didn’t seem to come across well really — I wasn’t sure about the maps reference, so that train of thought was lost. Did seem pretty negative, I suppose as a celebrity biker its a good catch to interview, but TBH as a 56 yo MTBer I can’t see much in what he says that I disagree with!

Hell I even have a Stumpie almost exactly like his – his is green (c. 97/99) while mine is mango (1998).

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘Grayson Perry interview in S124’ is closed to new replies.