Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Gravity Enduro – Hamsterly this weekend
  • neil853
    Free Member

Anybody doing it? I’m there this weekend and really looking forward to it! Weather looks to be improving throughout the week in the NE so may not be a swamp-fest 🙂

markhw
    Free Member

Yes going Friday morning 5hr drive,the weather is looking ok, never rode at Hamsterly should be good

fbk
    Free Member

Was hoping to do this one but unfortunately we’re not going to make it. Should be at the last 2 though.

Hope you get better weather than the last round 🙂

Simon

I’ll be there. Never ridden at Hamsterley and it’ll be my first race of the year, so I’m looking forward to it. Really hope it stays dry!

karl1824
    Free Member

Yeah will be there, my first Gravity enduro! what should I expect regarding the format of the day. Do I have to carry everything I will need for the whole day sat or sun, or do you get break for lunch etc where can go back to car?

Cheers

tomhoward

I’m doing it, first race evah…

Bricking it as I’m as fit as a butchers dog, though that butchers dog has eaten far too much of his owners produce, and hasn’t exercised. Ever.

legend
    Free Member

Decided to give them a miss until the timing looks sorted. Too expensive a weekend for me not to know what I’m getting. Fingers crossed that it all comes good though as the inners race was cracking!

karl1824
    Free Member

excess butchers produce = more gravity induced monmentum 😕

tomhoward

‘Aint the downs that’s going to be the problem!

I know you get a certain amount of time to get to the start of stages, anybody any idea of the pace/distance/amount of climing/fitness required?

Vortexracing

you should be dialled in for this one Neil after last wed

karl1824
    Free Member

just checked out the map and at least 3, possibly 4 of the stages are part of the usual red black combo, only other one is the 4x course

neil853
    Free Member

where’s the map?

ton

have a good un mate……wish i was doing it. 8)

neil853
    Free Member

some good stages there, if the weather holds it’ll be quick!

nosedive
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to this! the memory of Coed Y Brenin still makes me shiver

Mister-P
    Free Member

I am hoping it is more like Inners and nothing like CyB weather wise. Keep an eye out for the Shimano van and the (hopefully) slightly sunburnt balding bloke.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not there as out of the country but the CyB stages looked spot on. So long as they don’t stray to far into the woods at the DH should all be fine!!

nosedive
    Free Member

just checked the weather report. putting the winter boots away and packing some suncream. and beer.

toons
    Free Member

Rode a few of the stages last night.

The man made stuff is running v fast and the natural stuff is drying out nicely.

BTW bring some smidge!

neil853
    Free Member

smidge

eh?

toons
    Free Member

For the midges

neil853
    Free Member

ahhhhhhhhhh I see :)*

*noted

toons
    Free Member

And if the weather holds, lots of fluid & sun cream, it was still 20 degrees at 8pm!!!

justme
    Free Member

missed the cut of for entering G

neil853
    Free Member

can’t f***ing wait! Going to spend a good half day Friday making sure the bike is spot on 🙂

nosedive
    Free Member

I managed to get my bike working reasonably well over the weekend, I haven’t dared ride it all week in case I broke something again before the race!

there is camping at the venue for this right ? I hope so otherwise I’m sleeping in the car

neil853
    Free Member

How good was last weekend! Few shit things happened in the race but hey, that’s racing. definitely be doing a few next year! Well done to the organisers for putting the effort into something that had undoubtedly been a nightmare to put into place and develop. its not perfect, but its getting there. well done guys.

legend
    Free Member

its not perfect, but its getting there.

Is it? Sounds like all the same problems as rounds 1 & 2 but without the transition times and weather excuses

I_Ache
    Free Member

Really looking forward to Rd5, it will be my first ever race.

Does anybody have any links to the videos of the guys that cut the track?

neil853
    Free Member

Is it? Sounds like all the same problems as rounds 1 & 2 but without the transition times and weather excuses

There were some ‘issues’. I was unlucky enough to have a guy in front of me who qualified out of position, so I caught him on four of the five stages losing time on every one, However on the first stage I crashed all of my own accord 🙂

I also pulled out a cracking seeding time only to be told that all seeding times were now invaild.

Also, my sis, brother in law and little’un came along and there were no provisions for spectators at all. I think if they want the sport to develop they’ve got to make it as attarctive and accessible as possible which includes making it easy for people to view it at its best. Now that might be something that the organisers may have to consult with the land owners on but I reckon it’s a subject that wouldn’t be taboo.

But, from what I saw it must be a nightmare to organise and plan. Race day timings were (on the whole) accurate. The course from what I and others were saying got the balance right between tech and fitness too.

Listen it’s a great format, really great so any feedback we can give will only help it develop even more. I’m well up for doing more next year.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Oh another question.

Did you get your number board through the post before going or is it a case of turning up with your entry conformation and sorting it out on the day?

Simon

You get your number board at sign on at your first race of the series.

It is a great race format and I really enjoyed riding the course at Hamsterley, but there needs to be more people on the ground to make it work.

crfx
    Free Member

Did the king and queen enduro at glentress and everything seemed to run silky smooth. From the organisation through to the timing. This was glentress first enduro. No excuses guys.

hels
    Free Member

It might have been Glentress’ first Enduro but a lot of the people involved have done this before !

IMHO, all my view from somebody who was at GT at the weekend not Hamsterley, Enduro organisers need to sit down with BC and sort out some rules and standard procedures.

It looks to me like the Gravity series (having ridden the Inners one last year) is run with a more DH mindset (seeding, timed to the millionth of a second etc) which is good as it should stop too much of people catching each other, but adds lots of complications. However there is a real mix of abilities riding the events and lots of folk who have never DH raced.

Nothing but respect and admiration for Steve Parr and co for running these events and hope they keep it up !

100mphplus
    Free Member

Also, my sis, brother in law and little’un came along and there were no provisions for spectators at all. I think if they want the sport to develop they’ve got to make it as attarctive and accessible as possible which includes making it easy for people to view it at its best

❓ It was based in a trail centre with loads of parking right opposite one stage finish and a short walk to the end of two other stage finishes and the pit area, there was even parking space available in the pit areas itself, how ‘accessible’ do you want things to be ❓

There was also toilets, refreshments and an ice ceam van calling in, as far as facilities go it was as good as it gets in the UK.

100mphplus
    Free Member

Is anyone going to admit using the mega ‘cheat’ line on stage 5 that cut out the whole of the 2nd forest section?

I pointed it out to Steve and Adrian on Friday night but they didn’t alter the taping, so the option was there to carry on down the fire road and cut out the whole of the forest trail.

It was so obvious I will be surprised if no one used it considering some went to greater lengths to ‘manufacture’ a ‘cheat’ line on stage 3.

neil853
    Free Member

wow wow wow now hang on, I thought the event was excellent and I really enjoyed it. But some maps, either on the wall of the food van and/or sign on and toilets would have been useful. If on these maps good vantage points/areas where people will crash 😉 could have been pointed out this could also have been useful. Some clearing of said areas (with the agreement of the landowner of course) would also have been beneficial and made its easier for people to watch and enjoy it. This is the sort of thing that happens at WC events like Fort Bill.

This is just a bit of feedback from what I and the people that were with me on the day experienced. Irrespective of this like I said, I enjoyed it and will be doing more.

neil853
    Free Member

Heard about that but thats just not cricket, whats the point of doing well if you cheat? They should have just been disqualified, I know strictly speaking they did nothing wrong (wasn’t taped) but they knew what they were doing

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Gravity Enduro – Hamsterly this weekend’ is closed to new replies.