Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • gravity dropper owners, a question
  • handyman
    Free Member

Just a little query how much side to side movement is there in the saddle of the GD as am interested in the turbo model thanks

dorkingtrailpixie
    Free Member

’bout 2mm each way. Don’t notice it at all in the saddle

a11y

Perhaps mine is newer but I’d say mine is less than 2mm. Don’t notice it when riding either.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

none if new and the replacement part is about £2 from GD – the postage is more iirc
    mine lasted years before it needed doing
    video here of how to do it
    http://gravitydropper.com/?s=shims&x=0&y=0
    part here

#42 Shims (for inside tube)

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Virtually none. And mine is nearly six years old. I only took it apart for the first time last month and that was because I got a new insert with 25mm/100mm drop rather than the old one which was 75mm drop. It took me all of 30 seconds to change it over!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

No idea. Not noticeable when seated.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Perhaps 1-2mm at the tip of the seat but as said by others, it’s not noticeable when riding.

grum
    Free Member

None that I’ve noticed.

steveh

There was a little bit in mine generally but not a notable amount when riding. There was a lot in mine on either of the occasions in which i snapped it over 6 months. Oh and I only weigh 10 stone.
    boriselbrus – Mine went on the 25mm drop pin the second time on the first time I’d used. It was replaced under warranty but they basically said yes it’s there but you can’t use the 25mm drop bit.

lucien

As above, none I’ve noticed

paul123
    Free Member

Looking at getting one of these nmyself so interesting reading above. Do they do a 125mm drop post does anyone know, and which is better the classic or the turbo?

Sorry to hijack

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Mine’s 3″ and there’s a 4″ available. 5″ in a 27.2mm post is asking for trouble in my eyes.

I have the standard ‘pull out on the post’ jobbee, but you can convert it with a remote kit.

By all accounts a lot of the reliability issues are to do with kinked cables in the remote kit, so I’ve opted to keep it simple.

kimbers

interested too anyone know if anywhere has 27.2 turbo in stock?

hotlines still not responded to my enquiries

ArcticBeast
    Free Member

if you dont mind getting one from france
    http://purebike.fr/en/recherche-rapide-1.html
    they have some in stock

Junkyard
    Free Member

Do they do a 125mm drop post does anyone know,

No 100 mm is the largest drop they do

and which is better the classic or the turbo?

Depends i have turbo mate has Classic think more to go wrong with classic as it has a magnet but his seemed a nice mechanism and does fully withdraw the pin. Not much help on that front tbh

By all accounts a lot of the reliability issues are to do with kinked cables in the remote kit, so I’ve opted to keep it simple.

they are really affected by cable issues. if set up properly it is great but this takes a bit of practice. Cable does not seen to stretch. I assume the classic is a bit less affected by this due to exit angle but I am guessing tbh

Northwind

There’s a 5 inch version in 30.9, it’s just not distributed in the UK.

AS for play, mine has a fair bit because I’ve been lazy about the bushings and they’re worn out. Still less than a new Joplin 😉 With good bushings in, there’s almost none.

handyman
    Free Member

saw one on a guides bike in USA he used nokon cables stopped all cable issues

Northwind

Never had any cable issues except when I damaged one in a crash. It’s just gear cable, nothing scary.

Stu661
    Free Member

Next to no play when new, play does creap in as the guides get worn but are cheap as chips and quick to replace.

I ordered a 30.9 5″ drop turbo direct from Gravity Dropper in the states and after postage and import tax it was cheaper than the UK and was here in about a week. Have a look a there website, you can get whatever spec you want.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Regarding reliability, a 45km ride in a wet, gritty Wales over the weekend has been a massive Gravity Dropper fail – seriously, seriously unimpressed. Two of us with 27.2mm GD Descenders; we had it drop without warning because the pin hasn’t seated properly and had it refuse to drop because it’s gunked up with grit, despite it having the boot on there.

Time for a strip down but again, not impressed. I feel that something with better sealing is the way forward.

bazzer
    Free Member

Does anyone know if you can buy spare GD bushings in the UK ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

No UK agenst available from GD only – see links posted by myself above7Well GD said there were none when I asked. E-mail me as i am doing a moderate groups buy to reduce postage charges

cheers_drive

I wasn’t that impressed with my GD when I first got it 2 years ago and it seized with grit on it’s first wet ride. I serviced it after that and it was better although it wasn’t 100% reliable. Then this winter when bouncing hard on the saddle when setting up the rear shock the shaft of the GD sheared right through one of the stop holes – a known weakness. I email GD about getting a spare shaft and they told me to send it back to then. 2 weeks later I had a as new post which worked better than it ever had done.
    It was great during a 7 Stanes long weekend and it really helps the ride flow and allows you to really attack technical sections.
    Some say that they don’t need them and can get off the back anyway but I hate getting stuck behind the saddle and I’m not blessed with monkey long arms.
    I’ve never noticed the slight wobble when riding and make sure you get a multi drop post as the 1″ (fast singletrack) position gets used way more than totally dropped.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘gravity dropper owners, a question’ is closed to new replies.