• This topic has 22 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by bonj.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • gravity dropper given up the ghost
  • bonj
    Free Member

last time I was at dalby my gravity dropper wasn't working very well, I discover the magnetty bit has sort of come off, so i duck taped it back on and tested it and it worked fine then – oh, only when testing it mind – when I actually wanted the cocking thing to work it bloody wouldn't.

Now it's completely locked in the up position, which is better than it being completely locked in down position I suppose. I can't get the stupid f**king thing down no matter what I do, not even when off the bike let alone when riding it, no amount of pulling and pushing the seat in different directions seems to make it want to release.

The cable is definitely pulling, 'cos i can see the end bit poking out when I pull the lever, and it is making a 'click' noise, but it doesn't sound like a metallick click, like the magnet engaging.

I rode round the whole of dalby with it in the up position with no problems, so I'm thinking of sacking off the ridiculous contraption and just going back to a static one. It looks shite anyway.
    My thinking is it's a trail bike and I'm a trail rider, not some uberdownhill rider, and the steep bits on the red run at dalby which I thought "needed" it down, don't at all, they're fine with it up.

Does anybody have a *foolproof* method of fixing it (not "take it apart and generally give it a good servicing", i can't be arsed to faff around with it for more than about 3/4 of an hour), or has had any luck with sending it back under warranty? Can't even remember where I got it from, so i don't suppose that helpswith that one.

Failing that does anybody want to offer me a reasonable price for it to take it off my hands if you've got any more inclination to fix it and likeliness of benfitting from it than I have?

druidh
    Free Member

A full service takes around 30 minutes.

bonj
    Free Member

what does that consist of then?

squattingmouse
    Free Member

Sorry to ask an odd question but as I'm thinking of buying one how long have you had yours for bonj?

druidh
    Free Member
    cookeaa

Does anybody have a *foolproof* method of fixing it (not "take it apart and generally give it a good servicing", i can't be arsed to faff around with it for more than about 3/4 of an hour), or has had any luck with sending it back under warranty? Can't even remember where I got it from, so i don't suppose that helpswith that one.

Failing that does anybody want to offer me a reasonable price for it to take it off my hands if you've got any more inclination to fix it and likeliness of benfitting from it than I have?

I'll give you £25 not a penny more, OK a penny more, £25.01

Deal?

Northwind

They're very easy to service, just get it in bits and see what's going on. If it's a broken part they're a good company to deal with, more than likely it just needs a bit of TLC though.

bonj
    Free Member

Sorry to ask an odd question but as I'm thinking of buying one how long have you had yours for bonj?

Got it in december.

cookeaa

Shhhhh! Quiet NW!

He's obviously some sort of lazy, halfwit, with zero mechanical ability, I could get a total steal here…

cookeaa

Whoops…

cookeaa

Freudian typing again…

Rickos
    Free Member

Mine used to do that. You need to wind the collar (the bit at the bottom of the boot) off a wee bit so it's not screwed on tight. Bizarre, I know, you'd think that screwy on things need to be tight, but not in this case.

Crag
    Free Member

Send it back to gravitydropper. Seriously, mine was getting a bit tired then the bar clasp broke. I dropped GD a line in the US and asked them about spares.

They just said send it back and they'd look at it. Within 2 weeks the post was returned completely refurbed. Only original part on it is the post shaft. All for a tenner postage.

Amazing customer service. The post is 2 years old and now works like new again.

bonj
    Free Member

I'll give you £25 not a penny more, OK a penny more, £25.01

Deal?
    Nah. £50. or £49.99 if you want to be pedantic

bonj
    Free Member

think I'm following up Crag's suggestion for now

bonj
    Free Member

weirdly, it would often get stuck in the 'down' position, but not for long – if I got off the bike and swore at it a bit and pushed and pummelled the seat in different directions it would eventually release, and I then forgot about it, but by the time i'd stopped and done that i could have lowered a static one…anyone had that?

but it's only ever in the 'down' position. But now for the first time it's stuck in the UP position, and it won't even go down at all, no matter what I do. Weird that, innit…

druidh
    Free Member

If it's stuck up, then the mostly likely explanation would be that the bolt mechanism isn't being retracted. This could be down to something as simple as a stretched cable.

duir
    Free Member

Be very wary of sending it back to Gravity Dropper. I sent my jammed one back that failed down on a 50k remote epic in Scotland. Due to the distance left to travel I tried everything including molegrips to release it. GD said it was all my fault and I had damaged the main pin (somehow). The pin broke itself but they wouldn't accept that, they charged me for parts, service and postage and I didn't get much change out of £50. To add insult to injury they didn't even bother to change the failed shims. Finally it took me 6 weeks of providing evidence to HM Customs to actually get my GD back as they wanted to charge me import tax on the repair!

Pity the UK importers are rude and unhelpful as they do not like people buying direct from GD USA.

Junkyard
    Free Member

doddle to service. Mine is 4 years old now has very slight sideways play [like a new joplin 😉 but not notoceable when riding and not an issue]. I agree re service when my button fell off they replaced it for postage.
    Seriously take it apart it it very easy to do.
    You can just remove the remote by using undoing the two bolts.
    I will give you £50 for it and 1 p
    E-mail in profile if you want to sell and/or advice re servicing

firestarter
    Free Member

Mine was sticking and believe it or not it was the screw on the remote top cover that was at fault. I loosened it I little and its been sound since. Common thing by all accounts

juan
    Free Member

when not working you could unscrew a little the screw stuff at the top of the shaft. I know it sound daft, but it work… And it really as to be a little.

johnikgriff
    Free Member

I had a completly different experence to duir.

I think mine broke exactly the same way as you, i went on their site and it appears to be the only bit they dont sell. So I e-mailed them and explained the problem (mine is over 2 years old). They said warrenty issue (I've no receipt). Cost me £14 to post it to them, they rebuilt it and replaced all the worn out bits for free. Great service in my case

drop them a line

bonj
    Free Member

I will give you £50 for it and 1 p
    E-mail in profile if you want to sell and/or advice re servicing

sorry to mess you about but i'll just see what the yanks say first.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘gravity dropper given up the ghost’ is closed to new replies.