Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Gravity dropper excessive maintenance?
  • boriselbrus
    Free Member

I bought my Gravity dropper in 2005 and have used it regularly since, only really thinking about it when moving it to a new frame occasionally.

However last night when riding it seemed to be reluctant to move up and down and felt really sticky. So this morning I took it apart (no tools required) cleaned and greased it and after this 5 minute procedure it seems to be working perfectly again.

Surely a simple seatpost shouldn’t need this amount of maintenance? Should I buy something else instead? Maybe something by Crank Brothers???

chiefgrooveguru

😀

perchypanther
    Free Member

5 minutes maintenance in 11 years? That’s way over the top.

You should complain.

warpcow
    Free Member

Not fit for purpose.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Send it back, then bitch on here about how long the replacement takes.

psycorp
    Free Member

You could send it to me if you’re not satisfied with it 😉

sweepy
    Free Member

It’s like my trangia stove- bought it thirty-odd years ago and it’s been a constant round of clearing the burner holes every ten years since.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Hehehe, I only bought it on the basis of the MBR “Recommendation” – MBR in failure to predict the future shocker…

kimbers

Love that MBR review , just shows that its always been a shit mag

I’m liking the transparent boot!

ajr
    Free Member

The seatpost I sent for that test is still being used today. I still use them because they just work.

limburger
    Free Member

It even looks cool in that picture, although after 11 years that boot may have lost some of its shine 8).

chiefgrooveguru

I feel a bit sad to be Gravity Dropperless now, after 5.5 years of using them – first a Classic 100mm 27.2 post that was in my Cotic Soul and worked for so long without maintenance that it seized in place. It’s out now but in pieces and needing rebuilding – the bike that replaced the Soul came with a 150mm Reverb Stealth and I like the extra drop but the button isn’t half as nice under the thumb as the GD lever.

And now the 125mm Turbo LP on my Spitfire has been replaced by a 170mm Reverb Stealth – the massive drop was just too tempting! I wonder if GD will come up with a longer drop version in the future? So I have that Turbo LP to rehome – along with a second outer tube so it’ll for 30.9 or 31.6 and a load of spare bushes and boots and even a spare lever.

twisty

I see some people here complaining about play on their Gravity droppers, anybody getting this?
    I’ve been using a Gravity Dropper Turbo LP for a 3 years and it has no play, not looking forward to servicing it in 8 years time, LOL.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Gravity dropper excessive maintenance?’ is closed to new replies.