Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Gravity Dropper Classic – Engagement at top of stroke issue.
  • Veero
    Free Member

I’ve had a Gravity Dropper Classic Multi for a few months now on my Orange ST4, mainly because of the limitation due to the 27.2mm seat post. I was sceptical at first but it’s proven to be pretty good but I was out for a ride today and now it won’t lock in position at the highest point it should. As soon as you plant any weight one it, it drops to the single track setting which is about 1″ below top.

If you stop and give it a bit of upwards persuasion it will engage at the top of the stroke, except it then won’t release without more persuasion which obviously isn’t possible mid ride and defeats the object of it.

Any ideas? Was hoping not to have to rebuild it every few months, it’s not even seen a properly wet ride yet since we did actually have a summer this year (woohoo).

Cheers
    Veero

chiefgrooveguru

Slightly loosen the collar at the top of the non-moving part of the post. I’ve had a GD Classic multi-drop for over two years, used it in all weathers on all my rides, given it one proper service. Recently bought a Turbo LP for my forthcoming full-sus rather than get a Reverb/KS/Thomson/etc. They just work!

spooky_b329

Seconded. My gf’s post had this problem and after stripping it down and re-assembling, I read the instructions and realised I could have fixed it mid ride 🙂 Needed cleaning anyway…

Rickos
    Free Member

As above. The collar just needs to be finger tight. Tightening up hard by hand gives the problems you state. I too found out the hard way and cut a ride short.

chiefgrooveguru

As above. The collar just needs to be finger tight.

It’s not so much that it needs to be tightened to any specified amount as that it needs to be at the right height, so that when the post goes all the way up the collar stops it moving upwards when the pin is exactly in line with the top hole. If it’s too tight (far down) the hole won’t come up high enough to reach the pin whilst if it’s too loose (high) the hole could go past the pin and only lock into place when you sit on the saddle and depress it enough to realign the pin and hole.

Veero
    Free Member

Ok sounds good. I will have a tinker shortly.

It’s literally been fitted and not touched. I seem to remember reading the part in the instructions about the top collar being tight enough, but not too tight and thinking it sounded a bit vague, I guess this is why 🙂

rOcKeTdOg

yup, it’s all in the collar adjustment

Veero
    Free Member

Blimey, easiest fix ever. Turned it maybe 10 degrees and it’s perfect again. Must have knocked the collar lifting the bike out the car…

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

rOcKeTdOg

slightly better than the three week turn around on a reverb repair 8)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Gravity Dropper Classic – Engagement at top of stroke issue.’ is closed to new replies.