Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • gravity dropper 27.2. anyone got one? any good?
  • joemetcalfm
    Free Member

thinking about the gravity dropper seatpost. any good? and whats the best price out there for the model without the cable?
    cheers x

druidh
    Free Member

It's the only adjustable seatpost worth getting.
    Mine is over 3 years old and I've just given it a re-greasing.
    Other than that, it just works.

Better to get the remote activated one though.

psychle
    Free Member

had mine for 3+ years, have only ever had to replace a cable and that's it… and yes, get the remote 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

yes and yes.

i got the basic one, no cables, and soon got the hang of fiddling with the clit mid-ride.

it's a bit agricultural, but when it gets a bit sticky it takes 10 mins to clean and grease.

i like simple stuff that works.

psychle
    Free Member

soon got the hang of fiddling with the clit mid-ride

you what?? 😯

bonesetter
    Free Member

A cinch to maintain, can always be 'fixed' easily when it plays up (once you have understood how it works, which is very basic).

Transformed my riding completely

Get the remote

hitman
    Free Member

I want one aswell but cant justify the price to myself at the moment!

bonj
    Free Member

I've just ordered one, hopefully going for a blast round dalby for its first outing at the weekend 😀
    I was inspired by the fact that it's apparently just a mechanical spring (so no seals to replace?)

I have tried a crank bros joplin before and found it crap. Didn't like the way it could still go up on negative pressure differential when it was the low position – i like to be able to pick the back end of my bike up by the saddle. Didn't like the potential for faffing and not knowing where it is at any one time that infinite adjustment gives either. Add to that the fact that it is hydraulic and pretty complicated, so there is quite a lot to go wrong – the bloke in the shop i got it from said crank bros have got something like over a 100 patents for it, that's some seriously complex engineering going on there.

Saw a couple of blokes with GDs at CyB last year, and was quite impressed by how simple and strong they looked, have been umming and aahing ever since. Decided to treat myself to one for xmas… I'm hoping the fact that it's simple in its design will prove it to be long lasting.

also worth noting CRC do shims from 27.2 to pretty much any other size of seat post.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

i have an orange alpine, pretty much all the orange bikes use a 27.2 post. looked at a few and unless i want to wait for the new ks one the gravity dropper could be the one. cheers for the advice guys x

geetee1972
    Free Member

They aren't quite as bombproof as people are making out but they still very good compared to other types. Overall, adjustable seatposts are one of those 'transform your riding' products that once you've had one, you'll wonder how you ever managed without. Remote version is definitely a better option because you get the true benefit of adjustability on the fly; like on those uphill downhill sections you get on welsh trail centres.

I know Freeborn Horsham have two GDs in stock, one remote, one not, in 27.2mm. 01403 251 252.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I just ordered one from wiggle and using a £15 voucher got it for £173.99.
    That was for a 4" multi with remote.

edd

I'd recommend the remote one.

Got mine a week ago, only used it for one ride so don't know about durability yet but certainly very intuitive to use.

joemetcalfm
    Free Member

got my post just the other day and i have to say so far im pretty chuffed. thanks for the advice chaps i think it was the right choice.

Northwind

I love mine as well, completely troublefree even when being used to swing the bike off a fort william gondola 😉

grumm
    Free Member

If only you had a pic of that eh? 😛

Northwind

I did have but I wore it out :mrgreen:

grumm
    Free Member

Dang just bought a 4" classic from wiggle – £168.99

Not the multi but could I just drill more holes? 🙂

Northwind

Yup, that's exactly how it works. Though I've not done it yet. I tried a 1" drop and it's a wee bit hard to find the drop, IMO, so I think I might just do mine halfway.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘gravity dropper 27.2. anyone got one? any good?’ is closed to new replies.