Gravelhugger?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Gravelhugger?
  • Premier Icon hardtailonly
    Subscriber

So, I hear that the mudhugger is properly effective on the MTBs (I’ve no personal experience; I can’t quite bring myself to look at one (I mean buy one).

However, as I’m mostly riding my gravel bike at the moment, and there’s little in the way of gravel just now, is there an effective off road gravel guard? Currently have an ass-saver thing and a downtube guard, which are fine most of the time, but they’re rather overwhelmed in current conditions.

It’s a nice looking Ti bike, so don’t want something too gopping … But maybe it’s a case of gopping, or ineffective? … pick one?

Edit … full guards not an option, no fittings on the frame, and I’m not keen off-road.

tjagain

Who cares what it looks like? practicality over aesthetics any day tho I would like both

any mudguard worth having will not meet you aesthetic standards.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

Prototype gravel hugger is currently being tested. Rear is easy but the under crown measurements s on gravel bikes varies a lot. It’s not as simple as fitting a rocksox or Fox fork brace

scruff

Have a look at SKS Speedrockers.

qwerty

SKS X Blade – i’ve used one on the rear of my CX bike for years, qr straps to seatpost, i trimmed mine for less girth.

Premier Icon a11y
    Subscriber

Get creative!

SKS Edge 56 on Exotic Monocoque fork with no fixings, using plastics P-clips at the bottom and 32mm plastic waste pipe and cable ties at the top to create a false ‘arch’ to attach the guard to. Solid even off road.

I did similar on my previous bike which has much shorter a-c fork by simply cable tieing the mudguard to the fork crown. Was reasonably tidy and rock solid.

Premier Icon K
    Subscriber

I’ve got a mudhugger shorty fitted, warmed it up with a hair dryer and squeezed it a bit narrower. Works a treat and is fairly discreet.

Zefal do a Swan clip on rear guard, it just extends from the seatpost over the rear wheel but it’s easy to mount and protects you from the worst of the spray.

munrobiker

I was also going to suggest SKS Edges. I use my gravel bike on single-track in the Pentland hills and have taken it down all sorts of rattly stuff and muddy stuff at all sorts of speeds and they just stay put. They’re great and provide much better coverage than a mudhugger and look nicer.

Premier Icon boxelder
    Subscriber

Ass Saver fendor bender – no looker, but removed in 10 secs

joshvegas

I’m sold on the edges but **** me they’re not cheap.

Googles milk carton mudguards…

munrobiker

Mine were £30 from bike discount. About £35 from Merlin.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.