Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gravel Wheels/Tyres 650b or 700c??
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

I’m looking for some new tyres for by Bokeh. Gets used mainly off-road on bridleways, some natural singletrack trails and some trail centre trails around the likes of Swinley.

It also gets used on the road sometimes but mainly when linking up bits of trails and not as an out and out road bike.

I’m currently looking at going for the WTB Resolute tyres but they’re available in both 650b and 700c sizes, both 42mm wide.

I’ve got both size wheels but can’t decide which ones to get the tyres for.

What size wheels do you guys prefer for this type of riding?

monkeyboyjc

I tried 650 on my plug, but found them slower than the 700cs wheels /tyres. The 650s gave better control on real techy single track (as you’d expect) but we’re slower in almost every other respect.

It may well be the tyre/wheel combo I’d used (cheap as chips wheel set and tyres), as these were bought just to try out. Where as my 700c s are carbon rims with decent tyres and set up tubeless (this makes a bigger difference imo).

dovebiker

Bigger diameter 700c wheels will roll quicker for the same size / type of tyres – some frames accept a wider 50mm 650B tyre which could have its benefits offload.

jobro
    Free Member

I use the 700c Resolutes in 42mm on my Vielo. On the 650b wheels I’ve gone for a much wider tyre to maximise the off road capability. Larson race TT in 2″. Both are on Hunt Mason wheels.

When the Resolutes wear out I’ll be buying them again as I’ve been very impressed. My riding is probably 90% off road. I’m going to use them for this years cross season as well.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’ve run 700c on my Caadx but now run 650b on my Vaya, for me where most of my riding is off-road, with like you on road bits to link up or reach off-road bits I find the extra comfort of 650b better. Plus I’m no slower on 650b, initially I had wtb byways on the Vaya but now running Soma Cazadero which are faster on road and grippier on the off road and gravel. The Soma Cazadero tyres can be had to get, I got mine from Italy but damn they’re an amazing tyre. Here’s mine I’ve got great clearance in the frame they should fit your Bokeh (650×42)

stuc
    Free Member

650b with Panaracer Gravel king Sk 48mm. Find this as quick both on road and off road as a 35mm WTB Cross Boss and 40mm Nano combination I was running. In fact I’ve just sold the 700c wheels as couldn’t see the point for this particular bike now – I’d rather have another pair of 650b with the WTB 47mm Horizons on that are currently in the shed – for road touring and when the gravel is as dry as this year’s Dirty Reiver 😂. Different bikes that I was running these combinations on so that’s obviously a big factor.

scruff
    Free Member

I have a set of each size wheels, big ones have marathon Supremes on and little ones have 2.0 spesh fast tracks. When i know im not going off road I’ll chuck the 700c on but its not very often. I might try some wider tyres on the 700 next summer, might as well try that as i have clearance but run guards during winter so will stick with 650b so it all fits and i don’t get wet socks.

jerrys
    Free Member

Debating whether to try 650B on my Vaya also

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I found 650b & 47mm tyres slower pretty much everywhere compared to 700c & 38mm.

They had a tad more give on rougher stuff but no more control or grip.

So much so I’m starting to think the whole idea of wide 650b is a duffer.

scotroutes

I like the 650×47 option. I’d say they’re not as fast as a 700×40 (I was using Nanos) but they add a bit of give and comfort that can make the difference on longer days out, especially once you start hitting rougher trails.

scruff
    Free Member

How are nanos on wet greasy dirt / mud?

hopster
    Free Member

Ran 700×40 for a couple of years then built some 650b wheels which I run 42mm tyres. They have a bit more air volume and in my opinion offer a bit more grip and cushioning than the 700c wheels I replaced when riding off road. Bit more rolling resistance but not much and stronger wheels which take a hammering on the rocky descents I regularly ride.

If your ride is mostly off road I’d recommend 650b with a larger tyre but if its mixed with less difficult terrain I’d go with the 700c wheels.

cheers_drive

Hello Hipster, haven’t seen you around these parts for a while.

I’d have thought that the 2mm extra width would be offset by the reduced diameter so have less volume.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Jerrys this will give you an idea of clearance

postierich
    Free Member

Resolutes for the win and £35 a tyre is not bad!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Gravel Wheels/Tyres 650b or 700c??’ is closed to new replies.