• This topic has 7 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by momo.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Gravel wheel set
  • sparksmcguff

Looking for a wheel recommendation for a caad-x disk for gravelly muddy rides. Ideally something with a wider internal sizing (20mm +), I don’t intend running the fattest of tyres just want to be able to drop the pressure a bit. Also at 6.6 tall and no longer in my prime a decent spoke count 😅. Ta

samsmedium
    Free Member

Pacenti Forza on 32 spokes? Think they let you specify spoke count when ordering…

trailwagger
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with Hunts, been running two sets for a few years now and havnt had to touch them yet maintenance wise.

mudfish

I suggest you have a chat to a skilled wheel builder – I recommend David at DCR wheels. (Near Lewes). There really is nothing like hand built specifically to suit your actual use.
    Very reasonable pricing for so much expertise. Recommend a visit if poss but it’s not essential.
    So many times on forums folk recommend what they went for. Reinforcing a choice one made by passing on the recommendation to others is human nature it seems.
    Many, however, disagree with others ideals. Such conflicting reports on Hunt for example. Expert advice is pretty vital in the case of wheels.
    Use and circumstances should dictate choice, ideally.

ampthill

Hope 20five

32 spokes!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I look for unfashionable “old” 29er MTB wheels on eBay. MTB “narrow” is perfect for gravel bikes.

Can’t get some high end stuff very cheap

sparksmcguff

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Am not at all averse to getting something built up so will look at DCR wheels as not come across them before. Also like the more left field so will look for some “old” mtb wheels too. Your knowledge and experience is, as always, appreciated.

momo

Old mtb wheels is a good shout, that’s what I did for my 650b wheels, bad ebay listing for some DT Swiss XR1501, 25mm internal and I picked them up for a ridiculously low price, £20 for some 12mm end caps for the front wheel and they were the perfect pair of wheels for gravel riding. Mtb rims tend to be lighter than the equivalent width gravel ones. They’re not rated for the higher pressures of road wheels but as I run my 40mm tyres at 34/37psi and the 47s at 31/33 I’m not too worried! The road tyres at 55psi though I’m definitely sticking with a proper road rim.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Gravel wheel set’ is closed to new replies.