• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by easily.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Gravel tyre decisions.
  • geomickb
    Free Member

So it looks like swapping 650b and 700 wheels is working ok, now I need to decide on tyres.

I think my 700 will be used for rides which are 80% road and some canal and easy bridleway. Used to use Vittorio Terrano Mix which worked well. Any other ideas? How wide? Any point having more than 33?

My small wheels will be for off road rides. Currently have WTB Byways on which aren’t grippy enough. Should I try the Senderos? I’m thinking Road Plus is good for comfort.

Cheers

scotroutes

Teravail Rutlands come in 650×47 and are what I currently favour. I had the Byways previously but found they just didn’t grip enough as soon as the ground got soft. The Senderos just looked a bit overkill for my riding but might work better where you are, especially if the ground doesn’t drain as well as it does here.

fazzini

Any point having more than 33?

I was using Panaracer Gravel King semi slicks 700×38 and found them way more comfortable than the Spesh roadsport I took off. Only changed them (to an older set of PGK 40s) due to a run of punctures, but they’d covered approx 1000 miles by then

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    butcher

I think my 700 will be used for rides which are 80% road and some canal and easy bridleway.

I think the answer would depend a lot on what easy Bridleway means. For a little bit of canal paths and general family-oriented cycle routes, I probably wouldn’t bother with anything more than a 32mm road tyre. Mud is the main thing that would edge me towards wanting some tread on there. That and wet grass.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

A narrower, ~33mm knobbly pair will serve you well over the winter months, but something wider and slicker will be good for the two days of summer each year. 😉

geomickb
    Free Member

The off-road bits for my 700s will be canal and disused railway type stuff and I feel like the 33mm ones I am used to, slice through it all OK (family rides is a different bike 😉 ). I might just stick with the Terrano Mix for my “road wheels”.

13thfloormonk

Honestly if you’re buying new and aren’t purposely going looking for mud, go with Terreno Dry. I think they’re an excellent tyre and have actually been a bit underwhelmed with the Terreno Mix I’m running right now.

It takes some surprisingly steep and soft terrain to unstick a Terreno Dry.

didnthurt

I think most modern gravel tyres are pretty good, tyre pressure really can transform the feel and grip. I’d just buy the the highest specced tyre – in a width that you want – that you can afford and find in stock.

I always go for the following criteria as a minimum when buying gravel tyres:
    – Tubeless or tubeless ready
    – 700c size
    – minimum of 38mm width
    – Flexible bead
    – <£40 each

Remember if you buy from Germany (and it’s less than £135) then you’ll pay no vat or import duty.

These are good…..

https://r2-bike.com/Cyclocross-/-Gravel

didnthurt

I was going to buy a pair of Terreno dry tyres for the summer ahead (they’re cheaper now) but after thinking about it, will just ride my current Wet ones throughout the winter and spring. They’ll be near slick in the centre by the Summer. £70-80 saved 😉

rOcKeTdOg

Sender’s for proper mud, resolutes for all round with an off road bias

mboy
    Free Member

Any point having more than 33?

Got 45’s on mine, and wouldn’t want to go any narrower unless it was 100% on road… Any off road bits and the larger tyres really come into their own. It’s not a CX bike remember!

Got some 50’s which I will be fitting soon ready for when I can get back on a bike… As large as my bike will take. If I was going to build another Gravel Bike it would be based around a 29er MTB frame, and I’d run 29×2.25″ Thunder Burts for most things and save some 29×2.0″ Dirty Dan’s for winter…

ampthill

On my 650b I run Terrano dry in the summer. There are fab

Last winter I ran Teravail Rutland. They were also great but are a fair bit narrower than the Vittoria.

So this winter I Fitted Sendero’s. No regrets. They might be a touch slower on the road than the Rutlands. But more grip and volume at a lower price. I couldn’t see the Rutland’s for less than £55 each

I can’t really claim to have solved the issue of what to put on the 700c wheels

NormalMan

Jumping in on thread a bit but anyone tried these:

pirelli cinturato gravel h

Thinking in 700c 40mm

My previous gravel bikes have been 650b I have mainly been on WTB Byways

matt_outandabout

I think my 700 will be used for rides which are 80% road and some canal and easy bridleway.

Exactly what my do it all bike is used for, although I’m more 90% on roads, although often poor surfaces.

36mm Continental Top Contact or Speed Contact are comfy, fast enough, and a hoot on the muddy sections.

Before that I had schwalbe CX, Small Block 8 or Kenda Kwick CX. All were noticeably slower on road and only a touch more grip off road.

continuity
    Free Member

Pathfinder pros.

paule
    Free Member

I’d always go for a slick on the back and something a little grippier on the front for the 700c set. Currently running 35 rear and 40 front for similar type of riding. Anything but a small block 8 on the front – I’m sure they are the slowest tread pattern ever made, no idea how but noticably draggier than anything else I’ve run.

w00dster

Just thought I’d say that my 40mm G-One Ultrabite were very good this weekend. Soft forest land, rooty and a fair bit of moss and had no grip concerns.
    They’re not great on the road, but very impressed off-road.

honourablegeorge

NormalMan

pirelli cinturato gravel h

Have those in 700x45c and they have been problem free and don’t seem to drag much, front is lethal in off camber muddy stuff but they’re not meant for it

NormalMan

Thank you 👍

johnny63

Just Fitted a set of Cinturato M – 700 x 45 – initial impressions are that they’re great off road, especially in the mud – pretty good on gravel too and roll really well on the roads. The benefit of the extra volume from the 700 x 40 I was using during the summer is noticeable too. All in, very pleased with them.

easily
    Free Member

Terrano Dry or Vittoria Revolutions 700×38. The revolutions are great tyres and I’m always surprised they don’t get more love on here.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.