Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Gravel- swapping 700c for 650b
  • scruff
    Free Member

Currently using 700x 38c schwalbes, if I want more cushion and put 650b wheels and some xc tyres on, say 2.0- will the BB height be about the same? They’ll fit in the frame (Saracen Hack) but would have to sort something with the mudguards.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

might drop a cm or 2, depends on the tyres

Wheel Comparison: 650B vs 700c

continuity
    Free Member

So what you’re saying is you want to ride a mountain bike from the mid 90’s, only with drop bars?

thomthumb
    Free Member

700 = 622+2×38=698
    650 = 584+2×50=684

difference is 14mm so bb would be 7 mm lower in theory.

My mate has swpped from 700x 35 to 650x 35 on his gravel bike to remove toe overlap. BB drop hasn’t been a problem.

aP
    Free Member

I ride my Bokeh with either 650b/ 2.1″ Thunder Burts or 38mm Compass Loup Loup Pass. The pedals seem disturbingly close to the ground with the 38mm tyres on, but I’ve only had 2 pedal strikes in about 2500km of riding (which includes Gavel Dash, Paris-Roubaix, Exmouth Exodus and loads of riding in and around the Surrey Hills. I might be tempted to go up to about 43/45mm tyres for road riding once I’ve worn out the 38s.

jonnyboi

650 x 42c is the same as 700 x 23, so if you don’t end up using mtb tyres and fit gravel ones you’ll drop your BB a bit. But unless you have a really low BB in the first place I can’t see it being a problem at all. That bike is prob around 70mm bb drop?

scruff
    Free Member

Bit of bb drop is fine, just wondering really. That linked article quite interesting thanks. I might just try a bigger 700c or get second set of cheap wheels.

funkmasterp

So what you’re saying is you want to ride a mountain bike from the mid 90’s, only with drop bars?

I could be wrong, but I think he’s saying he is thinking of swapping 700c wheels for 650b

jonnyboi

Bit of bb drop is fine, just wondering really. That linked article quite interesting thanks. I might just try a bigger 700c or get second set of cheap wheels

just checked, bb drop on my 650b slate is 650mm. Given that gravel frames are thought to have a lower BB height for stability it might not be a bad thing at all.

But, the reality is that it will make bugger all difference as a suspect a lot of what is written about gravel v cx is markety bollocks. plus taking a single dimension in isolation is a bit pointless.

if you are looking at a decent cheap set of 650b wheels, superstar are selling off stans mk2 crest rims on fuel hubs for £209. If they fire out a site wide discount code (which they usually do) you might get them for 10-20% less

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/stans-fuel-blowout-sale-wheelset.htm

twisty

The drop will be a bit more than the difference in wheel radius because the bigger tyre will squish more.

scruff
    Free Member

Jonnyboi, cheers for that I rate stand rims so have bought a set of those.
    Now to decide what tyres…

smokey_jo

You can get 42c in a Saracen Hack frame – no clearance for guards though

jonnyboi

Jonnyboi, cheers for that I rate stand rims so have bought a set of those.
    Now to decide what tyres…

WTB resolutes, with tan sidewalls FTW.

I got mine from bike24 but see that chain reaction havevthem back in stock

johnw1984
    Free Member

Been toying with the idea myself on a Genesis CdA. Currently running WTB Nano 40c and it looks like there’s still some room for more (possibly up to 42C).

I also have a spare set of 650b Hope wheels (Tech Enduro). These are 23mm internal, so I’m wondering if they’d fit with the Resolutes?

jonnyboi

Mine are on stans crest mk3 which are the same width

johnw1984
    Free Member

Cheers jonnyboi, pretty much sold it for me.

Think I’ll order a couple of Resolutes soon then. I didn’t really want to sell the Hopes 🙂

robbie
    Free Member

Ive just built a tripster with 650 wheels and went for terene Elwoods in the light version.
    They were cheap from planet x
    And so far have been excellent for both gravel and 100+ road ride
    They are 47mm

scruff
    Free Member

You can get 42c in a Saracen Hack frame – no clearance for guards though

Guards are staying on. Cant commute without some tarmac, Schwalbe G one bites look good but not available yet. WTB Nanos maybe but will need to be tubeless. How do the resolutes roll/last on road?

jonnyboi

Schwalbe G one bites.

Bites? Speed? Evo?

You can get a 650b x 38 G-One evo tubeless. Great tyre

scruff
    Free Member
    jonnyboi

Ahh, that’s a new one on me. Looks superficially like a g-one evo with some of the lugs removed 🙂

jonnyboi

That g one bite in 650b is huge 2.1/54c. Can you fit that one a hack?

scruff
    Free Member

Probably not, most likely will be too close to the chainstays never mind the mudguards.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Gravel- swapping 700c for 650b’ is closed to new replies.