Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)
  • Gravel riding – phone and keys ?
  • crosshair
    Free Member

Roadies in lack of humour non-shocker?

The spirit of gravel is definitely dead in this thread 😞 🤣

iainc

^^^^ I did start the thread slightly tongue in cheek 🙂 ,though do/did have a genuine worry about a phone pouch exiting my jersey pockets on bumpy stuff. Some cracking replies though !

benman
    Free Member

I think you approach gravel riding luggage differently depending if you come from an MTB or a road background.

When I first moved from MTB to road I was similar – I had no idea how I was gonna carry everything. You very quickly get better at having a more adaptable clothing system and more compact toolkit.

As a result I now carry far less on the gravel bike. Pump/spares either in a fake bottle or in jersey. Everything else in jersey pockets.

Does me for 40-50 mile rides in the peak – its not like I’m riding in Outer Mongolia. Usually have to schedule a stop at some point to fill water bottles anyway.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    p7eaven
    Free Member

@iainc

Tourbon offer a nifty little number. Bars, top-tube or saddle fitting. It’s similar to the slightly smaller Carradice Bingley

they do a slightly larger zipped bag also

And there’s the Restrap Canister

anagallis_arvensis

OTOH I really don’t think people have an issue with you not liking bags. Seems to be (overall) much more per-comment dislike for bags in this thread. Maybe someone (good-naturedly) teased your pocketage? oo-er.

So you don’t have an issue with me not liking bags, but still are at pains to point out that it’s because someone said something to make me fashion conscious or something…wired. I just don’t like them for day rides because they get in my way and I don’t need them. It really is that simply. Your view may differ, that’s fine, good luck, enjoy your ride.

kerley
    Free Member

Im the same, id rather have the occasional rub of a knee on a bag than a sweaty back and stuff permanently bouncing around In pockets – especially on a gravel bike.

You are doing it wrong. My stuff doesn’t bounce around in my pockets or give me a sweaty back as I am wearing proper fitting jerseys. I can’t even feel I have anything in the pockets.
    If you need to take loads of stuff with you then get a bag but just because you need one doesn’t mean we all do, especially when the question was only about a phone and keys and not about asking about carrying enough stuff for a full day out.

Roadies in lack of humour non-shocker?

Maybe you are not as funny as you think you are.

Yak

Here you go. £12 and job done.

RidePac Tarp Matt Lime

It’s the sturdier/grippier one. More green than lime.

Also ideal for epipens, first aid kits, etc.

intheborders
    Free Member

I don’t carry any tools or tubes because I don’t need them. On rare occasion I get a puncture (tubeless) I just use the mimi pump to top it back up if too much air has come out before it has sealed. Been riding with that minimal amount of stuff for the last 20 years and 3-400 miles per year.

Hmm, so averaging less than 8 miles per week.

I guess a bit different to the stuff I do where I can easily be 8 miles from the nearest road – and a split tyre could cost me a 2-3 hour walk…

crosshair
    Free Member

With Dirty Reiver done I’ve just stripped everything off of my bike now- don’t want to look like a Fred on the Chaingang next week in case Kerley rocks up with his gravel beef 🤣

Thankfully my Diverge has the swat box so I can still covertly stash stuff gravel-style whilst pretending to be a roadie 😎

kerley
    Free Member

Hmm, so averaging less than 8 miles per week.

I missed a zero off the end! I ride between 3,000 to 4,000 miles a year and yes I have once got caught out resulting in a 2 hour walk home when my chain snapped (my own fault for breaking and rejoining it so often, fixed gear with numerous gearing changes over the year)
    Based on that I won’t be carrying a chain tool, spare links, gloves etc,. just for that once in 20 year occurrence.

With Dirty Reiver done I’ve just stripped everything off of my bike now- don’t want to look like a Fred on the Chaingang next week in case Kerley rocks up with his gravel beef

Whatever you look like, you still won’t be as funny as you think you are.

p7eaven
    Free Member

So you don’t have an issue with me not liking bags, but still are at pains to point out that it’s because someone said something to make me fashion conscious or something…wired.

FTFY 🙂

And I still (joking apart) have no idea why you think that people do. And of all things – my ‘maybe did someone tease your pocketage oo-er etc ‘ quip was not seriously intended. No ‘pains’ taken or offered. Sorry if it offended or irritated you – it was purely an abstract and wholly non-serious bit of winkery (yes winkery!)

anagallis_arvensis

And I still (joking apart) have no idea why you think that people do.

Because of the words you wrote which I quoted and you then crossed out

p7eaven
    Free Member

Because of the words you wrote which I quoted replaced with different words and meaning and you then crossed out

ftfy again!

Please just accept/trust me that you entirely got the wrong end of it. Already explained. Just an attempt to lighten the tone/a silly play on words, but this is becoming the other kind of silly now.

anagallis_arvensis

Because of the words you wrote which I quoted replaced with different words and meaning and you then crossed out

No I clearly quoted what you wrote, I replaced no words, now you are just lying which is silly to be fair.

crosshair
    Free Member

*removes STW from bookmarks* 👋🏻

😬

anagallis_arvensis

2/10 very lack luster flounce, could do better.

p7eaven
    Free Member

Because of the words you wrote which I quoted and you then crossed out

No. The words I ‘crossed out’ were your words

That’s why I wrote ‘FTFY’😉

Because you got entirely the wrong end of the stick/ie you misinterpreted my Frankie Howerdesque ooer quip (in reference to that bulging pockets pic thread) as something serious and ‘weird’!

Of course I don’t literally think people have actually commented on your bulging pockets and that this has subsequently made you believe that people have a problem with you not liking bags. That would be insane. I already told you that I don’t think people have a problem with you not liking bags! <— Almost as if there was a clue right there.

This feels insane even having to explain it (again)!

No, I’m not ‘lying’, and yes (for the second time) you are mistaken/have misinterpreted (I prefer to interpret charitably in this instance, not knowing who I’m dealing with)

Onweirds…and upwards

Viewing 17 posts - 81 through 97 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.