Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Gravel riding – phone and keys ?
  • iainc

On the road they’d be in my jersey. On the MTB they’d be in my Camelbak. Will they jump out my jersey pocket on bumpier gravel stuff ? Tempted to get a wee top tube bag and try that …

matt_outandabout

Will they jump out my jersey pocket on bumpier gravel stuff ?

This is why most jerseys have a zip pocket, no?

ads678

Loads of tops have zip pockets.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cb200
    Free Member

A running belt is very handy for this, especially in the summer when just in a tshirt

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

You’ve got a gravel bike but no frame bag?!

AdamT

You need a specific gravel phone with a lightly treaded case. It should be slightly thicker than a road phone case but not as bulky as an MTB one as it might drag when removing it from your pocket 🤣😂

mattsccm
    Free Member

If he taking his thick phone case should he take his smart phone or his dumb phone?
    Take a key, singular on a bit of string round your neck. Maybe two if titchy. My answer to the phone problem is leave the flaming thing at home.

jam-bo

if you put the phone in a top tube case, turn off the five presses of the side button to phone the emergency services function…

cp

Been putting my phone in the back pocket of my jersey in peak District MTB’ing for years without hitch.

jodafett

if you put the phone in a top tube case, turn off the five presses of the side button to phone the emergency services function…

This is very good advice!!

tall_martin

Pockets in your shorts?

Very gravel if they are £1,000,0000 rapha gravel cargo bib shorts 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Go in a Velopac phone pouch in my jersey pocket – has a slightly rubbery/grippy surface, never at risk of falling out.

oceanskipper

Just been out in my new Rapha cargo bib shorts (the core ones) and my phone stayed firmly put in the leg pocket. I’ve got a case on the phone and the pocket fabric grips the case nicely so it doesn’t jump about. 👍

mert
    Free Member

or only hit 4 bumps

iainc

Some entertaining replies ! Think I’ll stick with jersey pockets for now…

duncancallum

Bum bag?

jam-bo

This is very good advice!!

i learnt it the hard way. Very apologetic conversation with the 999 handler…

if you are after cargo shorts, can highly recommend the 7mesh ones.

remedyflyer
    Free Member

Why dont you just use a smaller camelbak on your gravel bike that is what I do then all your stuff will be safe and sound only use it on longer rides smaller ones just goes in back pockets and use a bottle cage for the drink.

butcher

Never had an issue with phone in Jersey pocket.

Keys go in a zipped pocket though, partly because they’re liable to fall out when you pull something else out. Nothing to do with the terrain. Done it before on a road ride, found the cars keys in the last place I pulled my phone out to take a photo.

sheepydan

What you need is a “burrito style” handlebar bag. Available with or without gravel tax depending on brand.

Not sure if ironic, or just an excuse to start another thread mentioning gravel

IHN

Small dry bag, phone and keys in it, in Jersey pocket. Works for me on mountain bike rides, I’m sure it’ll work for gravel, and it’s £2.50

https://www.lomo.co.uk/acatalog/extra-small-drybag.html#SID=117

Or, buy something gravel specific for about forty quid.

cakefacesmallblock

I can’t be gravelling correctly then. Mine stay safely in my Camelbak.

garage-dweller

I can’t be gravelling correctly then. Mine stay safely in my Camelbak.

Not sure this is a gravel thing or a drop bar bike geometry thing but while I’d ride an MTB all day with a pack/rucksack, I find using one on a drop bar bike oddly uncomfortable due to the different seating/body position.

To answer the OP I haven’t had issues with jersey pockets mountain biking but a bit new to the gravel/gnarmac bike thing but can’t imagine it’s worse if your jersey fits right. I do try to zip pocket keys in.

iainc

^^^ similarly always wear a Camelbak on MTB but am looking to get pack free on gravel bike, so have a medium size seatpack for pump, tools, tubes etc. Options for phone, card, keys etc then jersey pockets or maybe a wee top tube bag behind stem, hence seeking others experiences.

cookeaa

Pockets in your shorts?

Very gravel if they are £1,000,0000 rapha gravel cargo bib shorts

Or Galibier for a more reasonable price….

ferrals
    Free Member

I find wrapping phone in a plastic bag makes it bulky enough it doesn’t fall out of jersey pocket when mtb-ing. Originally did it to stop phone getting wet but haven’t had a phone fly out since either. I wrap a single key in the same bag

kerley
    Free Member

This is why most jerseys have a zip pocket, no?

I only buy jerseys with at least one zip up pocket and my phone and keys go in there. I would never put a bag anywhere near my bike.

timba
    Free Member

Phone in a pocket. Keep it where you can reach it should you and the bike part company 🙁

lunge

I use a clear, plastic pencil case for £5 from WHSmiths, Wolvo, where ever.
    Put your phone and keys in there.
    Secure, pretty waterproof and does the job.
    Sorted.

DrP

I’ve a restrap midi frame bag… really useful, and makes me feel like I’m on a 18 day bikepacking adventure across the alps or summink…

DrP

ampthill

Jersey pocket. Never had a problem

If the fabric of the jersey isn’t snug holding the phone in place then eat more pies

K

Bib shorts with pockets and feel like you have left stuff at home.

scotroutes

Not sure this is a gravel thing or a drop bar bike geometry thing but while I’d ride an MTB all day with a pack/rucksack, I find using one on a drop bar bike oddly uncomfortable due to the different seating/body position.

TBH as soon as the weather is decent – and on shorter rides – I ditch the rucksack on the MTB too. Some stuff is on the bike, the rest I’ll use a bumbag when necessary.

My “gravel” bike has a partial framebag and bottle cages.

iainc

I don’t really like loading the bike with bags unless actually away proper touring (oops, bikepacking…), so will stick with Revelate Shrew on the seatpost and phone and keys in a waterproof zipper bag (I found a rapha one I bought in the sales in my box of bike bag stuff last night).

Thanks for all the ideas.

wait4me

Got a fancy Rapha pencil case thingy as an Xmas gift one year. Probably one of my favourite bits of bike kit! Phone, single key and some folding money that never gets used. Plus a few extra Dynaracer plugs. Heavy enough that it has never felt likely to eject from jersey pockets.

Got a top tube bag but it always feels in the way, so now only gets used when extra capacity is required.

scotroutes

A roadie-to-gravel friend of mine asked why so many gravel bikes had bags attached for day rides. I could only really answer from my perspective; typically, my gravel rides get into much wilder and remote areas than my road rides and, without the luxury of being able to flag down a passing motor vehicle, pop into a shop/cafe, or even make a call for assistance, I therefore head out with a bit more kit and food. Of course this doesn’t apply to everyone.

kelron
    Free Member

I’m still wearing my mountain bike shorts complete with pockets. It’s not very gravel but on the upside I have pockets.

stanfree
    Free Member

I would doubt very much a key will fly out yer pocket Gravel riding. I’m even guessing you could fly down fort william DH track and not lose a key. If yer worried get a quadcore for yer phone and a zip pocket for yer keys.

p7eaven
    Free Member

I often stop to take photographs but I really need my keys. Used to use a small top to bag but I’ve since moved instead to a small bar-bag. I like the bar-bag because can easily reach and see to retrieve things from it without requiring to dismount.

It also has a click fix mounting and a small handle on the top so I can take it off and carry into the pub/services/post office/etcetera with my keys wallet phone rain jacket all in one place.

The phone hangs in there suspended in a rear-pocket along with a small card wallet.
    The keys are attached to the small carabiner which is sewn onto the inside of the bag. Rain jacket plus skullcap with puncture kit and multitool all live in the main compartment.

I like it a lot.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.