Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • "Gravel" frameset with up to 42mm tyre clearance
  • rOcKeTdOg

Using Gravel for want of a better word, which disc frameset for slightly larger profile tyres than a traditional CX bike with all day riding comfy angles?

scotroutes

Dare I suggest a VN Amazon? Just fitted some Nano 40s to mine today.

Nipper99
    Free Member

All City Macho King. 853 loveliness. Enjoying mine.

smokey_jo

Saracen Hack will take 42c tyres

jkomo

I’ve put 37 on my Kona jake- there’s room to spare.

BillOddie

Surly Straggler…

squealer
    Free Member

My charge plug 5 came with 42mm tyres and it’s fantastic

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Pinnacle Arkose X (as a full bike).

Those Panaracer Gravelking SKs are wider than spec, 40mm version apparently comes in at ~43mm.

mattbee

Sonder Camino Al. £50 off ATM too.

cakeyboy
    Free Member

In great STW tradition! Could I recommend a Mason bokeh.

dickie
    Free Member
    cakeyboy
    Free Member

Must have posted that at same time Dickie !!

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Rocket dog…. Budget would help?

Like others above I will recommend what I own 🙂

Genesis croix de fer. All day riding, tough as old boots comfy and can fit up to 45mm tyres. I currently run 40mm nano’s with full guards (sks 50mm longboards).

Frameset is something like £350 if you look carefully (frame and fork).

OCB
    Free Member

Peregrine (if you can find one), or a Vaya.
    Mine are on 47 and 42 respectively, both very comfy all-day mixed condition bikes.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Peregrines are very pretty but I found the toe overlap really annoying.

I quite like the look of these as a Peregrine substitute:

plus-one

On one pickenflick is worth considering.. Just sold a medium with hope wheelset sporting 45/40mm tyres ..

Too nice as a winter hack so I moved it on

drlex
    Free Member

^ mention of pickenflick makes me suggest the bish bash bosh – currently £499 at the DFS of cycling.

johnnystorm

Evans are listing Arkose frameset at the mo. 40s fit fine in my 2015, 2017 has even better clearance.

plus-one

I seen a bish bash bosh in Edinburgh last week in the orange/yellow.. It looked very nice 8)

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Open U.P. for expensive niche factor.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve been considering the Palnet-X XLA, bargain, but only 38mm clearance, which is annoying because the ‘gravel version has more tyre clearance but a sloping top tube 🙁

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Can fit 47mm tyres in my deeply uncool Raleigh Maverick Comp.

midlifecrashes

Not forgetting Salsa Fargo if you’re minted, Mango Point AR if skinted.

drover
    Free Member

Mango Point AR, bought a frame set last autumn and have run it over the winter, been a great bike with 40c clearance.

burko73

Cotic escapade will take nanos in 42c iirc.

lotto
    Free Member

Shand Stoater

wzzzz
    Free Member

I too have a change plug 5 ti and sometimes run bruce gordon rock n roads at 43c

funkmasterp

Genesis Vagabond?

shermer75
    Free Member

Those Arkoses look really good for the money. Does anybody know what the differences are between the 3, 3, and 4 apart from the price and the colour?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I seriously considered the Soma Wolverine until I cheaped out with a Charge Plug. They look amazing with a lot of nice details.

P20

Planet X Full Monty takes 40mm Nanos comfortably. Cotic Escapade? Or if Ritchey eventually release the Outback

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

1kcove
    Free Member

Giant Revolt 1, very relaxed geometry & you can fit up to 50mm tyres, yes it does look a bit odd but a good allrounder.

BillOddie

Another option…

Brother Cycles Kepler…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If the yellow Giant Anyroad 1 was proper hydraulics and allowed wider tyres (it comes with 32c, not sure if 35c will fit), I’d be very tempted, love the frame’s curves.

LittleNose
    Free Member

doncorleoni …

Genesis croix de fer. All day riding, tough as old boots comfy and can fit up to 45mm tyres. I currently run 40mm nano’s with full guards (sks 50mm longboards).

Any chance of some pics ?
    I’m running 40mm nano’s on my CdF (which rides like a dream) and thinking about fitting some mudguards for the next month or two.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

@rOcKeTdOg any reason for the 42mm requirement, rather than 40mm?

Only, as evidenced by the multitude of suggestions in the replies, almost all adventure-road/gravel/gnarmac bikes will take 700c 40mm. It could be said it’s what defines the genre, and one of the things that differentiates them from CX bikes.

rOcKeTdOg

No reason, 40mm would be sufficient. I’m just greedy

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Has the 2.1″ clearance Marin Four Corners been mentioned yet?

Another I would be interested in, if it had proper hydraulics and a carbon fork.

ampthill

Those Arkoses look really good for the money. Does anybody know what the differences are between the 3, 3, and 4 apart from the price and the colour?

The spec? Am I missing something

I’d say that 42mm would be tight on a Croix de fer or 2016 Arkose. I’m not saying they’d touch the frame or forks but there would be very little clearance for mud. The arm of the FD might be an issue as well. This is an area where 1×11 or (1×10) has clear benefits

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘"Gravel" frameset with up to 42mm tyre clearance’ is closed to new replies.