Gravel / CX – tubeless?

Home Forum Bike Forum Gravel / CX – tubeless?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Gravel / CX – tubeless?
  • ferrals

I race cx tubeless, much better than inner tubes. Obviously I want tubs but it will take til next year to get them!

I also use schwalbe s-ones tubeless on my cx bike outside of cx season for commuting, road rides, gravel etc

mattsccm

Tubeless for CX. Too tight to use them for gravel as they don’t last long unless they have deep knobbles and that’s not for gravel. Grabbed my road bike tonight as the other had a bust spoke. As I expected the Schwalbe 30mm S ones in tubeless were fine on the gravel.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Ah – I’m talking WTB Nano 40 currently at 40psi with tubes…

Premier Icon pigyn
    Subscriber

Why do CX race people say no to tubeless

Definitely tubeless

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Should I go tubeless on my Grinduro? Main road/gravel/odd trail use says yes, but CX racey people say no.

?

More to the point, what wheelset or rims for tubeless CX/gravel?

Grails are highly regarded but don’t take WTB tyres. What’s highly regarded and takes all tyres?

Premier Icon schmiken
    Subscriber

They don’t say no to tubeless, just that tubular is better.

pdw

More to the point, what wheelset or rims for tubeless CX/gravel?

Iron Cross rims + Schwalbe X-One / X-One Bite, and Bontrager CX0 works well for me.

I have DT r460 DB rims working flawlessly with a WTB Riddler/Nano combo tubeless. Used on road/gravel/singletrack.

nickwatson

Absolutely. Running WTB nano 40’s on Mavic XM719 rims, for the CX commute. No issues at all. Easily inflated with a track pump (using lots of washing up liquid).

YES!!!
    I’m using Kenda Happy Medium folding tyres on some Alex rims ATD470, not one puncture. A couple of rear rim dings however 😳 so start high with the pressures and drop them till you find a “happy medium” 😉

Honestly, on a cx/Gravel bike it’s a no-brainer imo.

dovebiker

Lower rolling resistance and less punctures – why not? The only reason why tubeless is less suited to CX is they tend to burp as very low pressures which is why tubulars are still preferred.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

So this ^^?

If I wanted to take it on a race (I won’t be racing much / seriously), would I be better swapping back to tubes for the event?

LS

No, tubeless will be fine for your level of racing, you just can’t go too low with the pressures like you could with a tub. If you have a setup that works then there’s no point sticking tubes in.

Premier Icon SimonR
    Subscriber

I’m looking at going tubeless too. Just out of interest what sort of pressures are folks running with a 40c (ish) tyre?

robbie

Lower rolling resistance and less punctures – why not? The only reason why tubeless is less suited to CX is they tend to burp as very low pressures which is why tubulars are still preferred.

Exactly this
    I am set up tubeless on my gravel bike (47mm elwoods)so far so good
    my cx bike on the other hand is running tubes just now as the clement tyres i have arnt tubeless compatible. I am currently looking at tubeless but will have to up the pressere a fraction to stop them burping.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.