Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gravel Bike Wheel Upgrade Suggestions :-)
  • letmetalktomark

At present I have a lovely pair of Pro2 Evo hubs laced into some Spank gravel rims (29er).

These are lightweight (ish) and have been reliable tubeless even with my awkward Panaracer tyres.

So why do I want to change you say ………

I currently run an XT 11 speed cassette and I cannot justify having the wide range (11 – 40). I’d like to swap it our for a closer range, albeit not as wide, road cassette.

I think I have it right that the Pro2 Evo hub Freehub options are only 10 speed road compatible soooooooo this would mean a hub swap as a minimum or …….. new wheels.

I keep looking at the Zipp 303 FIRECREST but these are likely pushing the budget and by pushing I mean out of budget.

Soooooo off the peg wheels happy running a 45mm tyres in a 29er flavour that are 11 speed road compatible and preferable no fewer than 28 spoke (I know the Zipp are 24 but they comfortable cover my rider weight.

What be the masses suggestions?

john_l
    Free Member

Ultegra HG cassettes are available in 11-34

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I went with Novatec hubs in older Crest rims.

+ 1600g

– fragile due to the low spoke tension on the rear NDS (I’ve given up and just gone for about 110-120% of the max spoke tension to get them to stay true).

– The hubs lasted about 2000miles before needing new bearings, including several winters and lots of deep fords, swapped to cheap ceramic ones off ebay but I imagine its the usual case of ££ Vs longevity so any upgrade of the standard ones will last a while.

Based on that experience, I’d be happy with anything based on novatec hubs but with an asymmetric rim. I’ve been looking at the DCR ones for an MTB build?

igm

Ultegra HG cassettes are available in 11-34

which fit the Pro2 Evo freehub

stumpy01

I’m not fully up to speed with freewheel standards (or any bike standards to be fair) but can you not just get a closer range cassette that will fit?
    What sort of range are you looking for?
    11-34 would be a decent chunk better than 11-40 I would have thought and looks to be compatible?

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/ultegra-r8000/CS-HG800-11.html

This says it’s compatible with 10 & 11 speed freewheels.

Apologies if talking bollocks.

john_l
    Free Member

That’s what I said, but as IGM pointed out,not very clearly ;o)

letmetalktomark

I think you folks are onto something here!

Slight baulk at ~£95 for a cassette but I would need a new cassette with the new wheels anyway …….

Now to find stock.

swanny853

The Pro 2 Evo 40t was road 11s compatible. I have think the changes were just slightly longer freehub splines and the driveside flange moved in a bit. Istr that the updated freehub could be fitted to the hub and the cassette would *probably* clear the spokes but you wouldn’t know for sure unless you tried, so if the 11-34 is close enough for you I’d go with that.

spyke85
    Free Member

It won’t help, but I went 303 Firecrest and they are worth every single penny! Transformed the ride on my Ritchey Outback

Bazz

When i was looking for some gravel bike wheels i also wanted 28 spokes f+r for peace of mind as i’m not the most graceful rider, and ended up with Hunt 4 seasons All road wheelset, just over 1600g (claimed) and £300. I’ve been very happy with mine.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The Pro 2 Evo 40t was road 11s compatible

Yea, there’s an evo non-40t as well, although apparently it will take microspline though. Mines been sat in my spares box in the hope that microspline becomes a roadie standard, otherwise it’s destined to end up as the basis for a singlespeed wheelset.

intheborders
    Free Member

I currently run an XT 11 speed cassette and I cannot justify having the wide range (11 – 40).

Cannot justify to who?

swanny853

Aye, pro 2 evo (and pro 2, with an axle swap) are xd/microsplineable- my OH is running shimano 12s on a pro2 evo- but only the 40t is ‘officially’ road 11s friendly.

honourablegeorge

Zipp 303s are most of the Firecreat for half the price.

slowboydickie

Ive got hunt mason x. 1500g approx, lots of hub options, £325.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.