Gravel bike pedals.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Gravel bike pedals.
  • alongo

Went out for first ride on my new Cube Nuroad Race yesterday. Really enjoyed it even though I got a puncture on first ride! Some of the lanes were pretty muddy and I was riding in Look Keos, not great when I had to get off bike. I have sold and this k I’ll swap over to them. What do you use for your gravel riding?

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

SPDs for all offroad riding, usually M520 or M540.

Premier Icon ta11pau1
    Subscriber

Mtb spds, m540 for me.

Premier Icon roverpig
    Subscriber

Probably won’t be a popular option, but I’ve just replaced the SPDs on mine with flats 😵 Easier to get a foot down when it’s slippy, better for that walk to an interesting viewpoint and don’t get clogged with mud, snow, ice etc. Only two (40 and 50 mile) rides so far but can’t detect the supposed loss of efficiency yet either. It’s a bit of an experiment though and too early to say whether it is a success or not yet really.

alongo

Is there any difference in feel to the more expensive ones , I have the super cheap ones, which are ok , just wandered if it was worth investing in better quality.

Premier Icon slowoldman
    Subscriber

M520 here, because already had then lying around. They are staying on over winter so I can wear (warmer) MTB shoes but I’m going to give road pedals and shoes a go next year as most of my mileage is road with the odd bit of bridleway and track.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

I’ve broken the habit of a lifetime and put spds on my road winter bike this year. And the sky has not fallen in. Tightened up the springs a bit which seems to control the float a little. With that in mind I can’t see why they would not be the default on a gravel bike too.

k1100t

I rode Deltas and then Keos off road for years. I bought Look X-Track for the fat bike, and now have them on the gravel bike. I’d rather have Keos, if I’m being honest, but these are much easier to walk in. You need some different shoes though, ones with grips and stuff, so you’re not walking on the cleat.

Time mtb pedals, use them in all my bikes.

jb72

M520 for me too … cheap and reliable.

footflaps

XTR Race SPDs

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

XT trail spd

luv2ride

Just put some XT 8100 Spds on my new gravel bike, slightly wider platform than 520’s, reduced to £59 at Sigma Sports. Would have had these though if had seen them first (same price)….
    https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-xt-m8020-trail-mtb-pedals-non-retail-packaged-EV249159

mikertroid

Flats for me. Have some old XT SPDs that I might play with next year, but prefer the comfort of flat pedals.

I use pinned flats over the winter for a better chance of getting a foot down to stabilise a slide, but come spring, I’ll be on Time ATACs on the fatbike and Time Xpro 10s on the road bike.

Premier Icon onewheelgood
    Subscriber

Candy 7s on mine.

scotroutes

Crank Bros Candys. Just because they are my favourite touring pedal and my touring bike *is* my gravel bike.

st4nley

XT Trail spds, feet were freezing today but hate flats.

Premier Icon ampthill
    Subscriber

Dmr vault. I accept that the sprints will be slower

Premier Icon solarider
    Subscriber

The key here is shoes, not pedals. I only now run a mountain bike and a gravel bike. I no longer own a road bike. Over the winter with guards and 38mm slicks. In the summer with deep section road wheels and 25mm road tyres. In all guises I now run XTR SPDs. With Sidi Tiger shoes I have all of the stiffness I need for putting down power on a long road ride without hotspots on the soles of my feet. Tigers are basically Sidi road shoes with a few replaceable rubber inserts. Double sided pedals for ease of entry. Grip and recessed cleats on the shoes for ease of walking. And all the connection and stability required when clicked in. Some people experience a lack of stability, painful hotspots and a less efficient pedalling stroke when using SPDs, but that’s usually down to the stiffness of the shoes. MTB shoes are typically designed with a mix of stiffness when clicked in and flexibility to hike-a-bike when not. That doesn’t make them particularly good at being dedicated road shoes when the need arises.

pdw

Boardman pro spd pedals. Light weight and amazing value

Just a shame they don’t work properly. Had then on my cx bike for a while, but got fed up with them not releasing fully.

Back on shimanos now.

psycorp

Flats on everything. So uncool it’s uncool.

Premier Icon drewd
    Subscriber

Flats for me. Superstar Nanos on the hardtail and drop bar bike.

I’ve got some Shimano M530s that I might try again, but I wasn’t that keen on them when I used them last time round.

Premier Icon Normal Man
    Subscriber

Flats for me. MG1s.

TiRed

Shimano M324. Best of other worlds. Flat on one side, spd on the other. I’ve run them for years and they refuse to die. On the cross bike I run double sided XT spds. On the trike I use M324s. When I was learning off road, I liked the ability to use flat sides when I wasn’t confident then flip over for the easier bits. Now I am so confident so I swapped. I still have beginners start with the M324s.

MTB shoes from Specialized are basically road shoes with a tread to help walking. Buy with confidence.

Premier Icon winston
    Subscriber

Crank Brothers Candys on all my bikes except the fatty which has flats.

Love them – plenty of float, cheap and a bit of a platform for control. Never fail to clip in even in the deepest mud. I’ve had 10-12 or so pairs over the years and only one set failed on me so far.

Time XC8 and S-Works XC disco slippers.

fudge9202

Candy 7’s here too

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

jonnyboi

Boardman pro spd pedals. Light weight and amazing value

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?catalogId=10151&categoryId=273937&langId=-1&productId=1355406&storeId=10001#tab3

I have a set of these I ran on my road bike for commuting last winter. Currently on summer road shoes with shimano spd-sls. I prefer the spds for ease of clicking in and out in traffic but e road shoes are much stiffer and nicer for going the long way to work / back.

The Boardman pedals are fine I think I’m terms of functionality but perhaps not as slick as shimano ones. I bought them for the light weight vs other spd pedals – you have to spend an awful lot to get lighter.

Premier Icon crimsondynamo
    Subscriber

Time Atac xc8 on gravel bike, because they’re cooler than spuds.

stevious

Shimano SPDs here. Dunno the serial number.

Have worn flats for a few shorter rides and as others have said you’d probably be hard pressed to notice the supposed lack of efficiency.

I don’t like the 1-sided option that TiRed mentions though. The flat side is quite slippy and the non-flat side uncomfortable in flat shoes.

Premier Icon bob_summers
    Subscriber

I used candies off road since they came out. Had a couple of pairs break and went to Time Atac XCs, but miss the candies. Safe to go back to crank bros?

Premier Icon linusr
    Subscriber

M520 SPDs with Sidi or Spesh MTB shoes on road and gravel bikes. Flats on MTB.

prezet

Cheap Shimano SPDs – easy to clip in/out in the mud, loads of float.

Premier Icon onewheelgood
    Subscriber

Safe to go back to crank bros?

I’ve got Candys or Eggbeaters on all of my bikes. I have had a couple fail when the outer bearing collapsed, but it wouldn’t have happened if I’d done even a little bit of maintenance. Both were fixed with the £16 service kit. So I’d say yes, it’s safe.

I’ve got Candys or Eggbeaters on all of my bikes. I have had a couple fail when the outer bearing collapsed, but it wouldn’t have happened if I’d done even a little bit of maintenance. Both were fixed with the £16 service kit. So I’d say yes, it’s safe.

I have Time on all my bikes apart from my Brompton. Never done any maintenance on a single one of them. All still running perfectly!

stevious

it wouldn’t have happened if I’d done even a little bit of maintenance

The SPDs on my gravel bike have outlived 2 bikes and had zero maintenance. Maybe 8 years of fairly constant use.

scotroutes

LOL – the Candys on my Amazon are a similar vintage. I keep thinking I should do something about them, but….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.