Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • *Gravel* bike curious….
  • metalheart
    Free Member

For some strange reason I’ve been looking up the Giant TCX specs and been thinking that this *might* just be the thing to get me back on a push bike again.

Ive a TCR C2 road bike which I’m more than happy with so thinking Giants fit fits me…

What else is worth considering around the £1k mark?

Mainly planning (the Deeside Way) railway line (commuting for work) and round (Scolty) forest roads/tracks. Might get more adventurous come time. I’ve just waded through the show me your gravel bike thread and it’s whetted my appetite even more….

So, the TCX, is it right for intended purpose or not? If not, what?

Tia.

kerley
    Free Member

Just put the largest tyres with good puncture resistance on your current bike and ride it the same places you would ride a ‘gravel’ bike. There really isn’t a lot of difference between a road bike and a cross bike, or even a track bike when it really comes down to it, even if the marketing departments like to think there is.

Spin
    Free Member

There really isn’t a lot of difference between a road bike and a cross bike or even a track bike when it really comes down to it,

Clearance, type of brakes, presence of brakes and geometry are a few differences that spring to mind.

metalheart
    Free Member

Just put the largest tyres with good puncture resistance on your current bike and ride it the same places you would ride a ‘gravel’ bike. There really isn’t a lot of difference between a road bike and a cross bike, or even a track bike when it really comes down to it, even if the marketing departments like to think there is.

Er, the largest tyres I can manage on my TCR is 23mm. I once got a tar chipping caught between the tyre and seat tube which ripped a 10cm tear in it. Just as well I was descending at 40mph ten minutes later, eh? Oh….

Daffy
    kerley
    Free Member

Clearance, type of brakes, presence of brakes and geometry are a few differences that spring to mind.

I am talking about actually riding the bike and the fact there is little difference.
    I was using a fixed track bike for two years off road and had no issues whatsoever (also running 24c tyres)
    Before that used a SS cross bike for a few years and many years before that used a road bike.

Remember we are talking about bridleways and forest roads here not downhill tracks or mud-fests. People just need to get on and ride and stop worrying about minor differences in geometry and the like.

You buy a whole bike to ride on some bridleways, I’ll just buy some tyres – different ways of approaching it that is all.

Daffy

kerley – Member

There really isn’t a lot of difference between a road bike and a cross bike, or even a track bike when it really comes down to it, even if the marketing departments like to think there is.

There is when it comes to EN testing.

metalheart
    Free Member

Kerley, thanks for your comment. Your point has been made. Ain’t gonna work for me (see previous answer)

However, back to the question I asked, please…..

metalheart
    Free Member

Planet X looks nice Daffy. Not too keen on SRAM though….

pictonroad

Loads of threads posted recently about ‘gravel’ bikes, a search will yield results, it’s been pretty much done to death, loads about the tcx, dezb recent thread ran to several pages.

I love mine, I have a Scott that will only take 23mm tyres, my Arkose 4 is a completely different bike despite being similar on paper.

James

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I was using a fixed track bike for two years off road and had no issues whatsoever (also running 24c tyres)

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks James, I was a little concerned that it’s been overkill lately (I’m just on here a lot less these days).

Had a look of the thread you mentioned and I had googled a few on the TCX previously, just if the title is oblique it’s not the easiest to spot!

On the plus side I was out on a (push) bike today for the first time in four months, so that’s something… 😀

Trekster

I’ve ridden approx 10mls through Ae forest on a pi***ng wet day on the forest roads on my Ti road bike, never again 🙄 23in road tyres are no match for rough forest roads. Being a “race” frame 23 is the largest I can fit and even then the current ones are tight fit.
    Having used disc brakes on my mtbs for a good few years now the grinding noise of pad/grit/rim interface made made me grimace and the £££££ sign was running round my rain, mud sodden face/eyes………

Next years retirement present to me will be a gravel/touring bike 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, seeing as it’s on my clipboard….

They’re great. As I said a while back on the “show off your gravel bike” thread;

The thing about these bikes to me is that they almost go back to what mountain biking/riding was all about for me when I got in to it.

Get on bike. Go. Explore. See what’s out there, up that lane, along that bridleway. Over that hill. Just going out and riding. Not busting phatt movezz on da jumps or schralping teh gnat. Riding. Just plain, simple, brilliant riding.

metalheart
    Free Member

All well and good Cap’n but what the hell is it? Is it the right price and why over a TCX????

Distinct lack of sidewall action there though, tut, tut… 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s a Diverge.
    Check da nu sidewalls, innit?

Right price? I don’t know. What is “right” to you? This was very right to me.
    Over a TCX? Well, it’s not a crosser. It’s more of a road bike that can go off road. Takes fattish tyres, full mudguards (being fitted in a week or so), racks, etc. Oh, and a better frame/fork than a TCX as well.

metalheart
    Free Member

Should’ve know it’d be a Spesh. It’s, er, distinctive…. 😀

Price was stated in the OP (up to £1k)…

ton

suitable cannondale over there >>> metalheart

metalheart
    Free Member

Fraid not ton, I’m a medium/large so 61cm is at least one size too big.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Price was stated in the OP

Ah, yes. Sorry about that! Sort of cross-read several threads….!

At 1K, I’d be looking at;
    TCX
    Awol
    CDF (Variants)
    Focus (Various CXers)

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks Cap’n. I’ll take a look at those.

1-shed
    Free Member

My money on the giant range would be the revolt. It looks like proper versatile bike.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Arkose, innit.

Should be some decent savings at the mo.

metalheart
    Free Member

Right, I’ve had a look around and I’ve found a ’15 SLR 1 in close out (20% off, not bad) and from a reputable shop that I’ve personal experience with so it’ll come with free fitting/set up as well. It’s on reserve and I’m off to see it Friday.

Soooo, turns out I’ve a few more questions (and don’t think it necessitates (a norther) new thread:

What pedals do people run? I’ve a spare set of flatties (coz that’s what I run on my mtbs) but should have an old set of spds kicking about as well.

Bearing in mind it’s coming up to winter (and I’ll need to use it for commuting, the first 10-15 miles will be on an old railway line that has a variety of surfaces, but mostly hardpack dirt which gets wet and muddy in places) mudguards? If so what?

Lights, okay, not really bike specific, but on the mtb with Larsen 1.95s it takes me 1.5 hours each way (so a 6.30am start). Won’t belong before it’s not actually light by then….? Don’t want nothing fancy, just practical (and rechargeable).

Anybody got any recommendations?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What pedals do people run?

Time ATAC.

MTB cleat pattern, so can actually walk in the shoes! That said, I use S-Works XC disco slippers for the stiffness so hardly good for a stroll! I use Time as they’re better than Shimano in every single way. Apart from cost, possibly. More durable, better float, better mud clearance, etc.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

I ride flats on my MTBs but use MTB SPDs on my CX/gravel/gnarmacs, for no other reason than I have SPD shoes and pedals left from when I ditched them to go back to flats. as I use (road) SPD on my road bike being clipped in to a drop barred bike feels normal. Also found waterproof Diadora SPD shoes silly cheap, so I get toasty warm dry feet during the winter for not-very-much.

So what did you commute with, and what do you have in the parts bin/kit bag that will work in the winter?

metalheart
    Free Member

So what did you commute with, and what do you have in the parts bin/kit bag that will work in the winter?

Flats and trail shoes… 😀

Got spd shoes somewhere but the cleats would most likely be shagged. Might be fused in as probably knocking on 10 years old.

I’ve got speed play on the road bike but I consider walking a necessity so on the roadie they shall stay.

If I go new I’ll have at look at ATAC, ta Flashy.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘*Gravel* bike curious….’ is closed to new replies.