Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • gravel 700c whells set recomensations
  • jugheaddave
    Free Member

Hi All

In the market for a set of 700c gravel wheel.
    Max Budget £330.

Currently looking at Hunt 4 season, and DCR Vivaldi disc wheelset. (both more or less in my budget)

Any other options I should consider, and has any one had experience with either the Hunt or DCR’s

Many Thanks

BoardinBob

My Hunt 4 Seasons have been fantastic. Light but very strong. Zero problems

manmurray

Have had a pair of 4 Season Gravels for a couple of years – been spot on, still as true as when they were fitted (despite plenty of SDW clatterings).

Recently nabbed a pair of ‘nearly new’ X-Wide versions, also nice. Would recommend.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    hatter

How heavy are you and how big a tyre are you looking to run?

mcnultycop

I’d be looking at Hope 20FIVE

jugheaddave
    Free Member

I am 75kg’s and would run 35-45 tyres (tubeless)

I do occasional tour on the bike, so max all up weight would be 90kgs

kilo

I’d be looking at Hope 20FIVE

Got the rear one of these to replace an old aileron rim on a hope hub during lockdown when local bike shops were shut. The rim badly dinged second ride and I’m looking at getting a new aileron rim, seriously under-impressed with it

freeandsingle
    Free Member

What front/rear spacing and axle sizes do you need compatibility for?

roverpig

I got the regular hunt 4 season as the gravel version wasn’t in stock and there only seemed to be a 1mm difference. No complaints so far. I’ve blatted then through loads of rocks and they are still running true.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

these are for standard “non boost” QR wheels

white101

Watches thread with interest…….

I’ve lost out on a couple of ebay deals recently for wheels, also after standard QR wheels for the Arkose.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

some good stuff comes up on FB market place from time to time, but I am keen to buy new.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

got two sets of DCR road wheels here, both great, one QR pimpy with Tune Hubs, AL33 rims one boost/through axle effectively a Vivaldi set with a different rim and just about to order another set for gravel use 45-50mm tyres so as per second set with wider 25mm rim

kickbuttowski
    Free Member

I’m running the Hunt 4 seasons wheels on my gravel bike. Surprisingly, I managed to write off my rear rim on a forest fire road, running Shwalbe X One 33mm tyres at 45 psi on the rear.

As a result, I now regard the wheels as a bit fragile so it has introduced a degree of wheel preservation anxiety that has detracted from any off roading that my previous wheels would have shrugged off.

I’m not a big unit at 10 and a half stone. With hindsight I wish I had prioritised durability over weight.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Has hunt offer to replace the wheel under warranty?

citizenlee
    Free Member

I got a set of Mavic Allroads to replace the stock wheelset on my Cube Nuroad. They roll well and seem to be holding up to the abuse I’ve given them (stuff I should really be using the MTB for). I got them through the C2W scheme though, so would have probably gone for Hunt 4 Seasons if it was my own money.

darkroomtim
    Free Member

Hunt four season for me as well – had them 18 months – zero issues

13thfloormonk

I stupidly built a slightly pimp set of wheels for my gravel bike that I’m now afraid to use as CX training wheels during the winter.

Problem is, I’m running rim brakes but a 135mm frame.

Can you space Hunt 4 Seasons for 135mm QR? Anything else you could similar with that isn’t a disc brake wheel?

I know I can do it with a DT350 but just hoped to buy something a bit cheaper…

nicko74

Hunt 4 Season Gravel given the weight and riding you mention. I’ve had mine a year and they’re still true, run smoothly and look brand new.

wait4me

4S gravel here too. I’m 100kg and ride some bumpy terrain on South Downs plus potholed roads. 40mm rubber. Had them gotta be 3 years and they’re straight and true. I’ve replaced the freehub in that time and that’s as far as any maintenance goes.

trailwagger
    Free Member

running Shwalbe X One 33mm tyres at 45 psi on the rear.

Theres your problem, not your wheels.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the responses.

I think I will pull the trigger on a set of hunt 4s 🙂

sowler
    Free Member

DT Swiss GR1600 are what I’m looking at, a little over budget. I think they can be had for about £370 ish at the moment from some of the european sites.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘gravel 700c whells set recomensations’ is closed to new replies.