Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Grassington CRC marathon
  • Cooroo
    Free Member

Haha, that makes me 230th out of 275. Could be worse, after all I am a Grand Vet!

Svendink, I guess people may have registered for full marathon, but opted for a shorter route on the day?

Ti29er
    Free Member

There were 2x riders who started about 1hr before everyone else. I encounted them at the water crossing, CRC race number boards and set for a day out in the hills. Both decked out in red / white Spec' (?) kit.

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

So I take it no one knows what time we actually all set off ? 😕
    Caz xx

zempy

I think the whole thing was a bit of a faff.

I think the numbers thing is correct, but some riders missed the split off point or started early or bailed…..or like Ti29er stated –

"There were 2x riders who started about 1hr before everyone else. I encounted them at the water crossing, CRC race number boards and set for a day out in the hills. Both decked out in red / white Spec' (?) kit. "

zempy

I was told by the marshal recording the times at the finish that I was the 19th person home in the 50K and thats what I'm sticking to! 😉

I really dont see the point of these things if there is no definative result.

That singletrack weekender looks much better, proper positions and everything!

svendink
    Free Member

I think the whole thing was a bit of a faff

kind of agree with you. Don't think I'll do another

amphibian
    Free Member

It was the first time I've done one of these and I really enjoyed it. They're not billed as a race, more of a personal challenge in the company of lots of other like minded people with a good atmosphere and plenty of support. If it was advertised as a race in breach of bridleway laws etc. I'm sure some nimby would get an injunction slapped on it. As you've found it doesn't need too much messing around to work out roughly where you finished in the field. 🙂

Ti29er
    Free Member

I couldn't disagree more.
    These events (and that's the point, they're mtn biking events) and have always been hugely popular – look at the number of riders who take to the hills several times a year; the Grassington event was booked out yonks ago, testament to its attraction. Races exist elsewhere through out the year, at various levels, maybe try some of these too and get a better perspective?

If you're worried by the position you came, you'll come around to it in time – it happens on events from time to time (inc’ the UK 24hr mtn bike championships this year – and no one kicked up any fuss on that one) & should never detract from the pure joy of being out on a testing, XC mountain bike course, with the safety net of marshals, feed stations, medical back up and all else you both witnessed and did not require over the w/end with likeminded souls such as yourself. It’s not the time you clocked up (you have a watch, may I suggest you use it?) or where you came in the event, it’s the XC journey.

The place you ended up is, as you’ll appreciate in a few weeks time, utterly irrelevant. Don’t write off an entire, well established mountain bike series on one poor experience.

Radders

It was my first event of this kind and despite the weather I enjoyed it and am considering entering the Ruthin round now. It wasn't billed as a race and I viewed it as a chance to ride somewhere I hadn't previously without the hassle of route planning and navigation during the ride.

On which note does anyone have a route plan of the 70K they wouldn't mind sharing that can be loaded into Anquet or similar? Think i've pretty much figured it but getting mixed up somewhere after Stainforth.

zempy

Oh here we go..

Its just an opinion, I've never done one before, i did it and formed the conclusion that I don't see the point of an event like this.

I'm really not arsed about a "result" it just a nice thing to know.

I just think 80% of the people who do an event like this would like to know a result. (look at all the previous posts)

Feel free to have a great time at future events. I'll be off riding some single track with my mates instead. :mrgreen:

I do have a watch its a big micky mouse one.

squiff
    Free Member

Cos I am from around that way I kind of knew wot to except, I thought it was good, even through I have done parts of it on other routes.

weather was shit but that didn't bother me being a tough Yorkshire man

Should have being more of race me thinks, don't think I will do it again.

Not worth the £30 we all payed, maybe £15/£20 might have being better

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Oh here we go..

Its just an opinion, I've never done one before, i did it and formed the conclusion that I don't see the point of an event like this.

I'm really not arsed about a "result" it just a nice thing to know.

I just think 80% of the people who do an event like this would like to know a result. (look at all the previous posts)

Feel free to have a great time at future events. I'll be off riding some single track with my mates instead.

I do have a watch its a big micky mouse one.

I went to this event and rode it with some mates and had a good time. If i wanted to race i would have gone somewhere else. I could have quiet easily knocked an hour or so off my time and maybe ended up 18th?? But i chose to have a laugh and chat to other riders, stop at the top of hills for a bite to eat and take some photos.

Events like this are a great idea and open up opportunities to people who just want to ride their bikes in a diferent format, Use feed stations, on a signed route with a target time in mind. Only a few actually post their result and they are all in the top 20 or so, I can't see this as 80% of the feild. Most are happy with a time.

For those who want a race their is the NPS Enduro series. See how quick you are their against real racers than people who where out for a laugh. Life would be s**t if every event was the same old race format.

vdubber67
    Free Member

For those who want a race their is the NPS Enduro series

Any details on this? Did this run this season?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well i enjoyed it, & i'm thinking about doing the Ruthin event.

I went fast for me 'cos i wanted to see if i could actually ride as well as people who enter these events – i was pleasantly suprised to find i'm not quite as slow as i feared but a LOT slower than others 🙂

Next time i might take the camera & plod around taking pics, never ridden in the Ruthin area so i'm looking forward to it.

StuE
    Free Member

If You are going to do anymore of these, do the Selkirk one, it is far and away the best of these events (imho of course)

StuE
    Free Member

Just downloaded the data for the "50k" route from my GPS actual distance was only 43k

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Unfortunately Selkirk is a little too far logistically i'm afraid 🙁

StuE
    Free Member

Pity it's a good day out.

Shred
    Free Member

I really enjoy the Selkirk round, and the changes to the course last year made it even better.

I'm hoping to do the Sportive and MTB marathon at Selkirk. Going to try for the long one in both but will have to see….

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Grassington pics now available at http://www.rightplacerighttime.co.uk

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Grassington CRC marathon’ is closed to new replies.