Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Grassington CRC marathon
  • StuE
    Free Member

Wet as an otters pocket and blowing a gale

Cooroo
    Free Member

… and 20 miles away in Leeds, everything is bone dry. No one will believe what it was like out there.

50km was considerably less, a good ride but in better weather I would have felt a bit cheated. Probably due to the Kilnsey start instead of Grassington?

Also, no one announced times for the pasta party, so we turned up at 8.15 to be told it finished at 7.30.

FoxyChick
    Free Member

Hmmm…quite eventful for the supporters left at camp too, particularly when the inflatable marquee took off! 8)

vdubber67
    Free Member

Set off for Grassington at 6am. Blew the head gasket on the car near Sheffield. Went home on a truck 🙁

mafu26
    Free Member

had a really good ride on the 70km. don't remember seeing the signs for 70 or 85? bit worried i might have gone the wrong way. awesome place to ride though. had a mosey over to watch the climbing on the crag, also very impressive!

was anyone else on pins watching the photographer run around at the top of the crag as the race started? he was making me well nervous!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I turned up to do the 70k got to the second feed station and found out i'd nearly finished the 50k. 😳

It was ok, i felt it a bit much of a drag from the first feed up the road then across all those grass fields.

The amount of fields and roads annoyed me a bit. but the weather was worse.

Think i did it in just over three and half hours, which with the traffic, weather and a SS bike i was happy with.

blades2000
    Free Member

Did the 85km route almost, (less 5km) due to me being slow. Great time as always, fantastic people, rubbish weather. For all those on the 85km route pushing the top of the 3rd descent was not so much fun. Thanks to all the marshalls who stuck it out at the gates through the wind and rain 🙂

FoxyChick
    Free Member

My baby completed her first MTB event today. She did the 25km in about 2hrs 10 mins! I'm SOOOOOOOOO proud of her!!!! 8)
    Here she is…

Nezbo
    Free Member

I second blades2000 – Thanks to all the marshals and who stuck it out at the gates through the wind and rain.

85(ish)k done in 4:55, was great ride the 2 hills in the middle was killers though the head wind was a killer as well. In a lot of pain now though from the crash a couple of weeks ago 🙁 hope I am right for the Trans Wales.

mrsflash
    Free Member

Yay to E!!!!!

BenjiM

3.13 for the 50k It did seem a bit short especially when they said 4 miles to go at the last feed station. Was a great ride though I always like riding up there. Great to chat to folks on the way up. My missus wants a reasonable bike now and she wants to do the 25k next year to get a T Shirt!

Aye anybody not there won't believe how foul the weather was, luckily there was no mud and the rocks were just slick, a bit hairy on Ralphs though! Thoroughly enjoyed it being my first event 🙂

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Signed up for the 50K. came in at 3:09 and 37th home from 351 i believe – finished 9th in the vets category. Completely in awe of those who completed the 85k route, especially in that weather!
    Think i need to attempt the 70k now..

Horse
    Free Member

It's sunny here now, although still blowing well (Stainforth). Said hello to a few of you over my garden gate today as you went past, Gooseker is a short sharp pig, hope your enjoyed it!

BadlyWiredDog

Did the 85, grim conditions and a lot of grumpy people to match, but ace riding and brilliantly marshalled by folk who must have been near hypothermic. No idea what time I did, but don't really care. Just a good day.

jonb
    Free Member

Did the 85 although I don't think it was 85 as they changed the routes. Did it in 5h6min. It was a little damp but the downs were good, it was character building stuff and the riding consistent enough to not need a waterproof. Saw a couple of spills, one guy with a bloody face and another with a collarbone break. Hope they're ok.

Didn't think it was as good as the Selkirk one, too much road but still a good event, I'll be going back next year.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yup, myself & Ms Dwarf will definitely be going back next yr. Too much tarmac on the 50K IMHO & Ms Dwarf says 25K as well, but we both really enjoyed our weekend. Great scenery, great atmosphere at the event site & great riding. Ms Dwarf says the marshalls were excellent with everyone on the 25K ride, especially when she had an asthma attack somewhere on Mastiles Lane! 😯

baccodaddy
    Free Member

did the 50k ,came home 7th in 2.40 ,would of been better but once rain came furious freds were interesting to say the least on the rocks!!oh well i can think of it as a test of handling skills.

Cooroo
    Free Member

How do you all know where you came home? Results not on MTB Marathon page yet. I only hope I wasn't last in the 50k – well, you have to have something to aim at! Came in at just before 3, which is about 5 hours. I walked that middle moorland crossing in pouring rain and a very bad temper. Perked up considerably when I took off my glasses and could actually see where I was going!

As always a privilege to cycle in the Yorkshire Dales, fantastic limestone features everywhere.

TurtlesHead
    Free Member

Any Pictures on web yet?

Ti29er
    Free Member

[url=http://www.muddybum.co.uk/]Muddy Bum Pictures[/url]

The signage was wrong on the 70 / 85km. So I made an executive decision after 5 riders turned left on the road by the cattle grid instead of straight across up that col. It was probably just as well I had 2ft clip ties upon my person and a knife!

That's where battled the elements (I was also down by the water crossong) – soaked doesn't even come close to how I ended up! I eventually packed it in after one lens fogged up (for the 2nd time), one flash simply refused to work even with me screaming at it & new batteries (another was wet even though wrapped and taped up in 2x sandwich bags & stopped working after 30 mins) and the Nikon stopped working for about the 10th time.

I confess I had as sense of humour failure about 4pm and stropped back to the car & home!

Congratulations to all who braved the low cloud, driving wind & rain (I was down to ride with 2 pals who did complete the 85km but I’m out for the summer with a muscle strain). Woe is me! 😉

Airwolf
    Free Member

I did the 85k in 7hrs 16mins. I think I was somewhere close to the back of the pack.

I had a great time though, and I especially enjoyed having a laugh with the guy wearing a bin liner and his funny mate.

Might do the 70K next time though. Body aches all over today!

willsimmons
    Free Member

I did the 85 and was dissapointed. Knowing what else is on offer in that area I thought the route was crap. Particularly the descent on the road and then climb back up offroad after pen-y-gent. I'm sure they have their reasons but it could have been so much better

stanley

Hey BWD, was talking to you on the road bit before the BIG climbs (Black Handjob), hope I wasn't one of the grumpy ones !

The weather was a bit grim. Felt like quite a slog for the most part, didn't really enjoy the descents much either. Could have been my riding though…. found the wet (lime ?) stone a bit challenging !

Fair play to the marshals and helpers for staying out in the wind and rain.

BadlyWiredDog

Hello mate, you were quite cheery and you know it. I was really nice to catch up, sorry I didn't remember you very well, I have an event horizon of about three minutes in both directions – drop me a line if you fancy hooking up for a local ride some time, I ought to get to know the trails on the other side of the hill a bit better 🙂

Maybe it was just the conditions, but there were an awful of folk out there with tight race faces on and a proper grump going. Anyway… I quite liked the descents, bar the one into that bloody headwind, which I found really disorientating – I think it's the wind noise that does my head in. The road sections, on the other hand, were rubbish. And my legs ache this morning, I think from the pushing up that second big climb's top section rather than the riding 🙁

ononeorange

Completed the 85k after a lifetime and I hurt today! 1,000 yard stare is now down to about 120 yards now that I've dried out.

A big thanks to the marshalls (how many stopped to ask the one wrapped up in a silver body warmer on top of that god-forsaken hill if he was OK?!). The 85k extra loop was pretty rubbish as it was basically just a long walk, but the rest was fine. I was for once though very happy with the road bits as they were a good rest.

Off to stare blankly at another wall now.

TeaBoyPaul

The 85k would have been more fun had I not managed to somehow wrap my rear mech round the back wheel after 5 miles and snap the hanger… BUGGER! After 20 minutes of swearing and bodging I rode the remaining 45 miles on probably the worlds first singlespeed Santa Cruz Blur.
    Good ride, but VERY wet and cold…brrr!

Thanks to all those who chatted along the way and kept me company as I spun/grinded/walked my way round!

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Think i 'won' the 50km in 2:19 – enjoyed the superfast descents it but a bit too much road (and wind) for my liking.

Finding my way on my own after the 2nd feed station was a bit tricky – apparently a lot of the signs blew down.

Felt sorry for the poor bugger who's tent was destroyed when the big inflatable marquee blew away!

Ti29er
    Free Member

Pippa.
    Why the 50km? – you're built from finer N Yorkshire granite and Kielder sandstone than the 50km surely?! 😉

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

I did the 25km in 2 hours and 40 mins, not bad for a first attempt, or bad?
    I was soaked through and had an hours wait for the hubby to pick me up after, but I'm still smiling now, and looking forward to Ruthin 30 km 😀
    Caz xx

zempy

Does anyone know how many in the 50k field. I was told I finished 19th.

If thats out of 100 I can be pleased if its out of 20, not so!

Pippalarge
    Free Member

Ti29er – Ha ha, doing the Raid Pyrenees next week so tapering, plenty of pain to look forward to there…

svendink
    Free Member

Results are up
    ..but why just a long list of finishing times?
    I would like some indication of who did what distance and even categories if that isn't too much to ask

sparrowlegs78
    Free Member

I finished at 13.06, but I don't know what the time was when we finally set off, It was a bit later than 10:00 wasn't it?
    Caz xx

Pippalarge
    Free Member

svendink – because they use bridleways the event can't be classified as a 'race' – hence they can't give ordered / categoried results. If you email them nicely they'll probably let you know your position,

svendink
    Free Member

ok thanks, wasn't aware of that. Got a bit grumpy there for a moment 🙂

squiff
    Free Member

Svendink or anyone

Linky for results please 😀

svendink
    Free Member
    zempy

A quick bit of messing about with filters on excel gives you an indication of the results. The riders with race numbers in the hundreds were doing the full marathon, the 1000's doing the middle, 2000's the half and the 3000's doing the mini

I understand about rights of way and races, but I thought the point of doing a "race" is to pit yourself against other people and end up with a ranking. They should have just displayed the results filtered into the catagories like I had to do myself.

I dont think i'll be doing one of these events again. In future i'll stick to riding with my mates and an OS map. I'll just spend the £30 entry fee on beer and pies.

squiff
    Free Member

Zempy

Can i have a copy of the results how you have done them, i am on a mac and dont have excel so jpeg would be great if you can

Cheers

Squiff

svendink
    Free Member

Zempy – not sure your theory on rider numbers is correct. That would mean there were quite a few who did the full marathon in under 3 hours. Surely not possible?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Grassington CRC marathon’ is closed to new replies.