Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Grass track racing and highland games cycling
  • OmarLittle
    Free Member

The weather probably rules it out for now but noticed quite a few highland games have a series of cycle races in them and i quite fancy giving it a go as it looks like fun. Has anyone given it a go before? What is the standard of competition like?

I assume bigger tyres than 23c will be needed but is it cyclocross tyres that are used?

bajsyckel

I dunno if you’ve ever seen it in action, but from what I’ve seen (could all be nonsense), grass track racing at highland shows looks a laugh provided; a) you’ve had a few beers and are a spectator, b) as (a) but competing, c) you are racing against folk you know and are in it for the craic, or d) are a machine and will destroy allcomers. Otherwise its just a few laps round a shinty/ football/ school field in the drizzle, accompanied by a faint whiff of candyfloss and vomit.

Usually it seems to be a mix of slower pace guys you reckon you’d comfortably put in their place, and old guys who’ll ride 35miles to get there and wipe the floor with everyone else. The ones I’ve seen most people are using old track bikes with clearance for slightly larger rubber. If I had a suitable bike I’d love to give it a go but I dunno if there are rules for seniors races re fixed gear, no brakes etc…

Not much help then, but consider it a bump.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’ve not done the Highland ones but have raced at Carlisle, Roundhey and Mildenhall

you need a track bike with good clearances, cx tyres are OK but there is a blackmarket in old Dugast diamond tread tubs. A BC racing licence is also required (you may be able to get a day licence)

unless you are really fast you’ll lose, (in Highland grass track especially if you have an English accent, if you manage to win you will find the prize money suddenly goes to the lower placed riders) grass track is a particular skill and staying upright in a bunch bouncing around a corner just as the drizzle starts requires more skill than you think

however there usually are handicap events which mix it up a bit

personally I think it’s great, it’s like 4X for track riders, its bonkers and a nice way to spend the day with the family, races tend to be short, take plenty of sprockets etc (the old adage is to start low and then go lower)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Grass track racing and highland games cycling’ is closed to new replies.