Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Graphic designer – Midlands
  • MrSmith
    Free Member

– Split out the photography and employ a good freelancer when required. We know several excellent photographers for around £300 per day

😯 blimey things really are different in the sticks, that’s what a digital operator or an assistant at the top of their game is on (advertising rate but even below that it’s still £200-£250) I guess the price war of the wedding snapper has finally hit jobbing commercial work.

johndoh
    Free Member

Must admit I don’t know of many good creative photographers that will work for £300 a day apart from the sort that see their pictures regularly appearing in the local press after shoots at awards dinners etc.

The going rate in Leeds is around £600 to £800 a day. I also deal with a London-based photographer and he charges £1200 a day – but he is very good and choses who he wants to work with.

rebel12
    Free Member

Must admit I don’t know of many good creative photographers that will work for £300 a day

We use 2 on a regular basis, and another who’s slightly more. We’re aware of people who charge more but to be honest their work wasn’t any better. Best keep our contacts to ourselves then 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

can’t you post their websites? if they are any good i’ll sub some work out and take 60% 😆

rebel12
    Free Member

can’t you post their websites?

errrrrr . . . NO!

DezB
    Free Member

I was just looking for some tips on where would be good to post a job, not really an assessment of the offer.

That ain’t what the thread title says though is it?

Sounds like a fun job to me (for a school leaver).

johndoh
    Free Member

We use 2 on a regular basis, and another who’s slightly more. We’re aware of people who charge more but to be honest their work wasn’t any better. Best keep our contacts to ourselves then

Fair enough, I haven’t looked further as I am happy with who I use and can be confident in their work. I do know my wife uses a £300 a day photographer to take shots for the school she is a communications manager for but she tends to find they need lots of direction – and that is just for taking ‘nice’ snaps of kids.

Just my experience.

stoffel
    Free Member

Must admit I don’t know of many good creative photographers that will work

The best creative photographers i know don’t work as photographers. It seems that one way to realy kill any creativity ins to work as a ‘professional’. You’re better off just hiring some graduate who’s enthusiastic and still keen to rey oout new ideas, than some seasoned ‘pro’ who thinks they know it all. I dn’t know why any small cmpany would want to hire a ‘professional’ thse days, when so many ‘hobyists’ can create just as good results for afraction of the cost. Photography, and ‘graphic design are tow of the most overhyped and expensive services out there. Might have been justified when photography was actually quite technically challenging, and before Adobe software, but advertise in a local paper and chances are you’ll find some student who’s willing to do it for next to nothing.

MrSmith
    Free Member

you can pick up a dslr for £300. surely the answer is obvious?

justinbieber

Not sure if Stoffel is being serious or not…

the-muffin-man

Might have been justified when photography was actually quite technically challenging, and before Adobe software

I’ve got a hammer and chisel – it doesn’t make me a joiner though.

plyphon
    Free Member

Might have been justified when photography was actually quite technically challenging

Top tier professional photography is even more so incredibly technically challenging – even with all the information available on Google.

Just because shits digital now doesn’t mean there’s a button to make any photo professional quality.

johndoh
    Free Member

Photography, and ‘graphic design are tow of the most overhyped and expensive services out there.

Most designers and photographers charge around the same per hour as your local VW main dealer charges for an apprentice to change your oil and plugs.

You want to shake your fist towards lawyers and solicitors with that particular accusation.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Might have been justified when photography was actually quite technically challenging

the technical details/techniques are a given attribute, its the other qualities that cost. you can’t learn that from an online video or out of a book. no to mention delivery of client expectations or exceeding them and knowing how that final image is going to be produced (equipment,talent.location, post production, model making,set-building etc etc) if it was that easy and the financial rewards so high why isn’t everyone shooting ad campaigns or for vogue?

I would also argue that it’s actually more technically challenging now than when it was just sheets of film and retouching was done on a £200,000 cross field mamba or barco creator system pre photoshop.

filming/video is technically easy, you expose properly and point the camera at what you want to film. 🙄

joe public wouldn’t believe how many people are involved in a 30 second commercial and how long it takes to produce or the budgets involved. they would probably notice if it was made by John in accounts with his dslr though.

elliott-20
    Free Member

Photography, and ‘graphic design are tow of the most overhyped and expensive services out there

Pah, I wish. It’s a good pay-scale in-keeping with skill and experience IMO but certainly not ‘expensive’. My wife earns more, part-time, in the Civil Service. But let’s leave that one firmly closed right here, okay.

Most designers and photographers charge around the same per hour as your local VW main dealer charges for an apprentice to change your oil and plugs.

This is more than true and is why I drive a Polo 😆

binners

I’m a senior designer. I’ve just spent the last 2 days on the road, art directing photoshoots.

I took a snapper who I know and trust (because he’s bloody brilliant) and an entire car full of lighting rigs, massive lenses, tripods and expensive Nikon kit that probably cost the same as a house. I’m not paying him the bonkers fees you mentioned before, but he’s not cheap. Because he’s bloody good! But then so am I 😉

We are producing marketing material for a large multinational company. And there are standards expected that we have to deliver. You’re not going to get that with the set up you’re advertising, I ‘m afraid. You ‘ll get what you pay for

If you’re serious about you’re business then you have to realise that your competition will be doing what I’ve been doing for the last couple of days. And it will look polished and professional. If you get an inexperienced designer to take a few snaps, then yours, when placed next to it, won’t.

That’s the reality of the situation

johndoh
    Free Member

Agreed Binners. Well said.

Unfortunately this isn’t what the OP wants to hear and it’s why his plan is destined to fail unfortunately.

muggomagic

Phwoar

rebel12
    Free Member

Unfortunately this isn’t what the OP wants to hear

which might also explain why we’ve not heard from him in a while 😉

jambourgie
    Free Member

At least he didn’t try the old “Get Involved!” (work for free) trick… unpaid intern… £2.50 per hour ‘apprentice’ wage… topped up with Working Tax Credits etc etc…

johndoh
    Free Member

True

the-muffin-man

To the OP…

When you do find someone make sure they know what ‘bleed’ is, as a lot of designers haven’t the faintest idea!

MrSmith
    Free Member

he’s probably relaxing in his aeron chair looking at the big shelf of yellow pencils and other awards and waiting for an intern to get him a soy latte as he casually flicks through an Audi brochure looking at sport pack options

plyphon
    Free Member

Funnily enough this is on the front page of Reddit atm:

Reddit link

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I’m a designer, I don’t touch excel, the admins do that. I don’t touch cameras, the freelance photographers do that. The 2 juniors in our studio are both recent graduates and on similar salaries to what you are offering and have excellent exposure across design heavy brands, the opportunity to develop new computer skills and have mentoring from an experienced team. I think you are unreal in your expectations from your advert as there is little to attract anyone to the company other than it’s a job.

Shizzletrack
    Free Member

Didn’t realise people were still discussing this, but taking on board the re-occurring comments. Excel, yeah, wasn’t thinking that one through, point taken. It may well be that the initial salary has to be much more to attract a mid-senior designer. I feel a junior designer could help improve many of the companies in the group quite quickly and even some good amateur photography skills could plug a hole. That would be the first job, but ultimately as things grow, I would need to increase the external client base. I was reluctant to specify the ‘level’ of designer as I know if the right person came along that required more money, my Chairman is more likely to dig deeper to make it happen.

I’ll bring up some of the comments on here in my next meeting. rebel2 and binner some valid points there. Johndoh, the sun is shining outside, cheer up fella! You know what, it could fail, but I’m up for the challenge, I’ve taken 2 of the business’ within our group from turning a few hundred thousand, to several million with good net returns. My design experience isn’t vast, but I’m passionate about it and I’m learning quickly.

Seavers, happy to look at your portfolio / day rates, we have a fleet of newly branded roadtrains that need shooting in the North East, happy to brief you in.

Thanks everyone else for advice, some good feedback.

johndoh
    Free Member

Johndoh, the sun is shining outside, cheer up fella!

Sorry if I came across as an arse, but I got just got wound up by your defensiveness over it and bit back. Perhaps too hard.

Shizzletrack
    Free Member

Fair do’s Johndoh, thanks for the apology, I’m sure I need to spin my legs and forget about the impossible tasks I’m set, you sometimes can’t help but get defensive when the pressure is on.

17:16….. anyone else going riding in approximately 14 minutes?

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Graphic designer – Midlands’ is closed to new replies.