Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Graphic Design Degree – which Uni?
  • Olster
    Free Member

Anyone know the best Uni’s for Graphic Design? Someone mentioned Falmouth (Exeter Uni) but its a fair old hike down there. ta, Dave

tomzo
    Free Member

[*]Central St martins
    Bournemouth (not actualyl sure on Grpahics deisng but certainly best for media type courses and when i looked round seemed goood)
    Camberwell

[/*]

mickyfinn
    Free Member

I think your talent is more important than the best Uni. Lets be Honest Jonthan Ive the Senior VP of Industrial Design at Apple got his degree at Newcastle poly (Now Northumbria Uni http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/scd/alumni/jive/ ) In design more than most other industries Talent gets you the job more than the Name of the Uni on your Degree.

ThePerfectKiss

LCP now known as LCC (my ex alma mata)
    CSM (central st martins)
    Ravensbourne
    Kingston

Depends on what you *really* want to do in terms of specific visual design
    modules etc as each establishment has a bias, i.e. LCC has a lot of legacy with typography

MrSmith
    Free Member

Norwich.
    i did the photography part of the design degree. it’s the kind of course you do to get work in the industry, if you want to do typographic masturbation and stroke your chin a lot look elsewhere cos they work you really hard there.

my friends who did the design part went on to win clio packaging awards and D&AD yellow pencils, then on to become judges for awards, it has a very good reputation and an lot of networking goes on where past students go back to nick new talent for their current design agencies.

something tells me you were looking at exeter because of the quantocks 🙂

JoB
    Free Member

heh, i did graphic design and illustration at Norwich, make of that what you will

🙂

tombird
    Free Member

Flamouth is very good and has good links with London, also look at Manchester.

colande
    Free Member

Agree with mickyfinn,

look at the course structure, pick a course that you like the look of and think you’ll enjoy,
    different uni’s try to deliver different things,
    some put an emphasis on employment at the end of it
    some pushing your creative side.

did a graphic communication (design) degree at cardiff (Uwic),
    the emphasis there is about not learning programs, indesign etc.
    but about developing you as a “visual communicator”,
    sounds like a lot of guff.
    but i think you’ll come out a better designer if your pushed that way.
    anyone can work the programs not everyone can come up with the ideas/solutions.

speak to most students and I reckon they all think their courses/uni’s are rubbish,
    lack of tuition etc, etc, (students like to moan and feel hard done by :D)
    it’s very much what you and your peers put into it to be honest,
    having the facilities to do pretty much anything you want.

good luck,
    i randomly picked uni’s where i knew someone, not the brightest thing to do.
    didnt look at the prospectuses until my interview,
    but you’ll get a feeling about a uni when you visit it.

edit: winner of a YCN (young creative network) award, 😆

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Graphic Design Degree – which Uni?’ is closed to new replies.