• This topic has 17 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by tthew.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Grange over Sands recommendations
  • tthew

I should probably have asked before as we’re going today, but suggestions of things to do in the Grange over Sands area please.

Me, the missis and dog. Places to go, eat, estuary walks, (organised or self guided) anything really. I’m taking my bike, but probably little opportunity for a big Lakes ride.

lesgrandepotato

Lots of stuff. Walk up Hampsfell to the hospice, eat from higginsons butchers, wander round cartmel, train to arnside and chippy, walk up how Howbarrow behind cartmel. Wander to Humphrey head.

lesgrandepotato

Lots of bridleways to explore in the cartmel valley

sparksmcguff

Train to Arnside. Walk up on the knott. Walk around the coast towards Silverdale.

Southern lakes including Satterthwaite within easy enough reach.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Holker’s worth a mooch round

You’ll have missed the ospreys at foulshaw I think

Get thee to Heft at high Newton for food then marvel at over priced jumble sale goods at yew tree barn

grum
    Free Member

I’m biased cos I love here but the train across the bay to Arnside, then the walk over the Knott and round past Blackstone Point is pretty spectacular. Then fish and chips.

If you make it to Silverdale check out The Woodlands, known to most as Woodies – unique experience and cheap/decent beers and ciders on tap!

Cartmel is v pretty also.

dc1988

+1 on walking to Hampsfell Hospice, especially good early or late in the day for sunrise/sunset

MrSparkle

Ulverston is worth a visit. Interesting town – canal walk is good, as is the walk up the Hoad. As mentioned above Hampsfell is nice for a walk and there’s some biking too.
    Whitbarrow Scar is just down the road. It’s one of Wainwright’s Outlying Fells.
    Estuary walks – Arnside, Humphrey Head and Leven estuary from Holker. The last is where our caravan is so I know it well. Nice quiet spot with good views over Coniston Fells.
    Flounders chippy at Flookburgh is good!

lesgrandepotato

Fish over chips in grange is better than flounders I reckon.

GolfChick
    Free Member

Third recommend the hampsfell hospice walk, some cattle possibly and sheep for the dog but a smashing area.

Cartmel for a sticky toffee pudding.

Fish and chips in arnside but preorder to avoid the queue as it can be up to an hours wait.

The hair and hounds in Levens looks nice but haven’t been yet. Another place to book a table.

Whitbarrow scar a lovely walk for the family plus dog. Only cattle and they’re few and far between. You can also do a ride around the area but DO NOT do it when wet as the rock is sodding lethal, I rode over a tiny bit no turning no brakes and immediately rotated 90 degrees with my legs akimbo!

Definitely the walk over arnside knot, I would also consider a visit to the fair steps, the woods there are lovely for the dog.

Will have a think of any others and if need any GPX files then PM me.

MrSparkle

Fish over chips in grange is better than flounders I reckon.

Not for Chinese it isn’t! ;0)

tthew

I’m glad I asked – cheers all! 👍

sofaboy73
    Free Member

book marking as off there this weekend and looks like some good tips

poolman
    Free Member

Sausage rolls at higginsons are lush, as are steak pies.

No ones mentioned hazelmere cafe and it’s cakes, next door at bakery to take away.

I like the beetham garden centre cafe, sadly loads of others do too so it’s packed.

Ditto low sizergh farm cafe, nice cakes in there.

poolman
    Free Member

‘re arnside, this summer it was packed but if u do the walk round the estuary to silverdale via bobbin cafe, which is nice too, once past the campsite you don’t see anyone. Return via the Knott.

nbt

All the above. Leighton Moss RSPB is just past Arnside, that’s a good day out if you like birds. They do get starling murmurations there too which can be a bloody spectacular sight

Derby Arms at Witherslack is a good pub, they do great beers and excellent food

lesgrandepotato

The newly re-opened Royal Oak in cartmel has fine selection of very local beers as does unsworths yard.

tthew

Update on return from our holidays.

The weather was somewhat sub-optimal. We went prepared for rain, but maybe not the biblical deluges that turned up!

Having said that, we did get to do the Hampsfell Hospice walk to Cartmel on the Thursday which was as good as suggested. Came back via the golf course to avoid that shitty cow farm on the edge of the village, the dog didn’t smell too sweet as we sat in the cafe at Cartmel! 🤦‍♂️

Fish over Chips – fantastic. And the Hazlemere was a short walk from our accommodation, poolman was right about the cakes.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Grange over Sands recommendations’ is closed to new replies.