Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • GrandDesignstrackworld – wide patiodoors or bifold..
  • Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

My extension is in the planning stage and there is going to be a 3.6m wide by 2.1-2.3 high opening onto my patio.

What shall I fill this with? Any particular products to recommend? A few mates spent lots on bifolds and the have been a bit unreliable, so I need convincing. I am just thinking 4 panels, the two in the middle could be opening doors via normal hinges or sliding.

Premier Icon 5thElefant
    Free Member

We’ve got two sets of 4 panel bifolds. Had them 6 years and they’ve been fine. They are a bit drafty though, which I think is inevitable compared to a more conventional design. They do tuck out of the way nicely.

Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

ooh draughty does not sound good. What brand?

Premier Icon 5thElefant
    Free Member

No idea what brand. They were around 2.5k if that means anything. The foldy flappy nature of them means that they seal by pulling tight – only two of the four panels have a securing mechanism, so the other two will never be fully sealed.

Premier Icon wobbliscott

Got two sets of 3 panel bifolds here, not drafty at all. Not sure why you’d pick patio doors over bi-folds. I guess if you want to gain regular access to the garden they provide a wider and more convenient opening than the single opening door of the bi-fold, but the bi-folds come into their own on the handful of nice warm sunny summer days.

Premier Icon drlex
    Free Member

Have JeldWen Canberra bifolds in a 4.2m opening – 5+1 arrangement. Not cheap, but had heard a few horror stories about cheap doors, and the opening faces the prevailing weather. I’d wanted cheaper alu patio, but Mrs Lex wanted wooden bifold, so we compromised on wooden bifold…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘GrandDesignstrackworld – wide patiodoors or bifold..’ is closed to new replies.