Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Grand Seiko
  • lotto
    Free Member

I tried one on about about a year ago. Then I went and bought a Rolex Explorer. I don’t like it and want to change. I’m working in Glasgow till year end. Is there somewhere I could trade the Explorer in against a GS or even try a GS on?The model I tried last time was new from a boutique in London that did not trade in pre owned.

loddrik
    Free Member

Can’t help you but the GS are bloody lovely, currently got an Ananta and Tuna myself.

You’ll have no trouble selling the Rolex though. Try over on TZ UK as there are quite a few GS owners on there.

chewkw
    Free Member

Rolex used to be prestigious but now it is a celebrity chavs’ brand so common you are borderline criminal to wear one.

Sell it, part ex change etc … get rid of it unless you are turning yourself into some sort of hip-hop shameless. Look at me! Look at me! I am a hip-hop shameless!

Rolex has become so famous it is no longer prestigious except to the shameless.

GS anytime … so long as the like of any of the celebrity shameless or reality shames don’t know about it. They better not.

😯

MrSmith
    Free Member

I doubt Rolex owners care what you think chewy.

loddrik
    Free Member

You may not like the Rolex ‘image’, but you absolutely cannot deny their quality, or resale value.

winston
    Free Member

resale value-perhaps
    Quality? My £300 Hamilton automatic is more accurate than my £5k Rolex

MrSmith
    Free Member

What’s accuracy got to do with watch value/cost or quality?

chewkw
    Free Member

MrSmith – Member

I doubt Rolex owners care what you think chewy.

Ya, I know so long as the celebrities keep buying them they keep people in employment which is good but don’t let them know their chav image. 😆

loddrik – Member
    You may not like the Rolex ‘image’, but you absolutely cannot deny their quality, or resale value.

You are merely buying the image now …

😯

loddrik
    Free Member

Accuracy and quality is completely irrelevant. A g-shock for £30 is more accurate than a Patek costing over £50k.

ourmaninthenorth

Might be worth trying CW Sellors in Derbyshire (trade as Jura Watches online) as they may PX your Rolex.

I like the Explorer, but on trying it on the too-short hands really put me off. I’d have bought a GS “Snowflake” this year, but was told we’re saving for a house extension. I have a cheap Seiko auto (Cocktail Time) instead….

Defender
    Free Member

As loddrik says, Rolex’s are very sought after so you shouldn’t loose out very much, the GS is a bit different from the Explorer?
    Can I ask what do you like about it?, I’ve never been a big Rolex fan, but I do like the GMT version of the Explorer the Milgauss.

chewkw
    Free Member

GS design, movement and reliability for me.

GS is so unknown it is good.

😀

peterfile
    Free Member

Lotto, try the Argyll Arcade just off Argyll St (opposite St Enoch Centre). Plenty of places in there trading high end watches last time I passed through.

Alpha1653

winston – Member
    resale value-perhaps

What Hammy have you got? I went through 3 Khaki field automatics before giving up on their alleged water resistant to 100m claim – it couldn’t handle the real world without developing condensation on the inside of the glass. A beautiful watch but useless.

winston
    Free Member

Khaki field 38mm – Not tried it to 100m but certainly swam in it many times and no problems. Glass is still perfect as well despite giving it a few whacks.

@ loddrik Yes I know a casio is more accurate than most automatics and many ‘luxury’ watches but for a GMT master to be less accurate than a field Hamilton was obviously a surprise smart arse

hora
    Free Member

The GS is nice if it was £300.

Anymore and someones taken the jam out of your donut.

The Rolex is a dead giveaway for new money.

All IMO.

Alpha1653

Ah that’s annoying! I had the 44mm Field Automatic. never wore it swimming, not even in the shower yet all three developed condensation within 2 weeks. If I thought the sealing wasn’t going to be an issue, I’d def get another one. Shame… Anyway, thread hijack over.

CountZero

Accuracy and quality is completely irrelevant. A g-shock for £30 is more accurate than a Patek costing over £50k.

Yeah?
    My £70 G-Shock is nowhere near as accurate as either my Seiko SPORK or even my Yema Rallygraf.
    The Casio would easily lose a minute a week, my Seiko was fifteen seconds slow after six months, when the clocks went back.
    The Yema, not so sure long-term, it needs winding every day, and I don’t wear it weekends and forget, but maybe a minute or so a month.
    But its movement was shared with contemporary Breitling watches, so pretty good quality.
    G-Shocks are good, but they ain’t that good!

finbar
    Free Member

resale value-perhaps

Sounds like the Rollie needs a service then. A decent watchsmith should be able to get them both within +/- 4-6 seconds a day (COSC standards), but all things considered, I’d expect the Rolex to stay that accurate for longer.

I had an Explorer 1 39mm a few years ago. Wish I hadn’t got rid of it now.

weeksy

I love STW… it makes me laugh every day 🙂

veedubba

You can’t control who buys your brand (Burberry?), but it still doesn’t detract from the quality of the product.

Rolex are one of the few mechanical watch manufacturers who own their entire supply chain, which is incredible given the size of the business.

That probably doesn’t matter to many people though.

Pembo
    Free Member

GS is a nice looking watch and a bit similar to the Longines Conquest Classic. This model is my favourite in the range, anyone else a fan of Longines?

chewkw
    Free Member

I like this …

juanking

I do like the simplicity and non fussy face of most Grand Seiko’s. Personally never been attracted to diver esque watches as they are generally too bulky and/or busy. My favorite Rolex is the Milgauss GV and would suggest a look at an IWC Portuguese, both automatic which keep fantastic time and are clean and simple, but I am biased.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Now that’s a Seiko I can get behind. On inside of, or something.

Mumble mumble.

*backs out of thread*

chronos
    Free Member

Chewy is right!

Fudd
    Free Member

veedubba – Member
    Rolex are one of the few mechanical watch manufacturers who own their entire supply chain, which is incredible given the size of the business.

Vertical integration as they call it. Everything is designed and produced in-house, from the movement and all of the components inside it to the onsite foundry that produces the metal for the cases. I think the only major part that Rolex don’t produce is the sapphire crystal… In fact there’s only one company who take it a step further and produce their own sapphires, along with their own oils and even going as far as growing their own quartz crystals… Guess who it is yet?

Pembo
    Free Member

Seiko? Not sure about the power meter/fuel gauge though.

onandon
    Free Member

I love my watches and have quite a few, but I can’t help but think the grand seiko is a bit like a top of the range mondeo. It’s nice enough but so vey very meh !

Defender
    Free Member

+1 on the power gauge thingy?

unovolo
    Free Member

I think the Grand Seiko with the ‘SnowflakeDial has to be one of the nicest looking watches going.

I have a vintage King Seiko which is pretty special too.

Murray

LeeW

veedubba – Member

That probably doesn’t matter to many people though

That’s a fairly recent thing though isn’t it after Swatch group effectively forced them to?

ourmaninthenorth

Unovolo – that’s my favourite. As I saus up there ^^^ I had to pass this year in favour of saving towards a house extension. One day.

And a vintage King is cool as ****.

loddrik
    Free Member

May as well post up my Seiko’s whilst I’m here…

[URL=http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/loddrik1/media/44FC8DFA-07A8-4684-A675-9BD1D1B5E70E_zpsrwf9edhk.jpg.html][/URL]

ourmaninthenorth

Very nice Loddrik. No photos of mine, but everyone knows what the Cocktail Time looks like don’t they?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Accuracy and everyday? I have one of these;

For those times when the history of a watch, and the memory of the original owner is more important than such piffling trivialities as accuracy and brand cachet, I have this;

Belonged to a hero of my wife, a relative of hers who fought a dark war in the resistance in France. A man who helped make a real difference. Every scratch could be a part of the story. It ticks as if it’s alive, as if keeping a memory alive. I’m very proud to be able to wear it.

loddrik
    Free Member

deepreddave
    Free Member

Grand Seiko can be very nice and niche too. Rolexs have the cache but some are pretty gaudy. My dream watch is one of these B&R Function but I make do with a small collection of somewhat cheaper ones such as a Hamilton Navy GMT, a solar atomic G shock and a couple of rarer RLTs.

enduroforever
    Free Member

Any half decent auto watch can be calibrated to run within +2 -1 seconds a day by a good watch maker

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Grand Seiko’ is closed to new replies.