Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Grand Raid
  • alanwales
    Free Member

Has anyone got any advice on the Grand Raid down in Switzerland. I’ve entered for the first time this year and am starting to get a bit worried – 120km with 5000m of climbing – seemed like a good idea at the time. Also, if anyone is going down for it – do you want to share travel or accommodation somehow?? Alan

richpips
    Free Member

Get your miles in on long hills if you can before you go. The climbs go on and on and on.

Take a bike that’s (relatively) comfortable to carry, the Pas de Lona is a long carry.

No technical riding to speak of.

Enjoy, it’s a great event.

portlyone

Sounds great 😐

richpips
    Free Member

portlyone – Member

Sounds great

Not a race for the portly.

mrmo
    Free Member

Be prepaired to suffer. You may have snow and 30 degree temps. Do not go off too fast the first few climbs although big by uk standards. Are small. First proper climb is before evolene.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

Awesome event. Really wanted to do it again this year but need to stay in the country which is a shame.

Best advice. Get your climbing legs ready and don’t go crazy riding out of Verbier. It is a minimum of 30 minutes. Most of the other climbs last for at least an hour or longer.

The route is shorter than last year, minus one big climb I think? Save lots of energy for the final leg, as the Pas de Lona is a killer. The road winds up endlessly and then the final section is a 20-30 minute carry depending how quick you can walk up it.

I stuck a tube under the seatpost and it gave some padding for my shoulder.
    Remember to pack some big balls if you want to stick with the fast euros on the descents. German’s might not be able to descend quickly but the Swiss certainly can!!

erik
    Free Member

The grand raid is great race. Most of the climbs are on wide jeeptracks and asphalt so it is a matter of get a steady pace and you will get up those climbs. The Mandolon Pass has a technical traverse wich is very rocky but rideable if not too many people are walking in front of you, a fat tire is recommended but get one with low rolling resistance otherwise you will be dragging too much on the climbs.
    We have more guests riding the race and staying with us the week before the race to prepare. We will take you on some acclimatization rides and prepare you for the technical sections if you like.

alanwales
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice folks.
    About to buy some lightweight XC wheels – or do I need something a bit more robust?
    Thanks for the offer of some acclimitisation rides Erik – I’m just getting myself organised regarding hotels / camping – so will be in touch.
    Thanks again
    Alan

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Grand Raid’ is closed to new replies.