Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Grand Massif Lift Pass
  • singletrackstinker
    Free Member

Heading off to the grand massif in about 6 weeks and wondered whether you can buy summer lift passes online beforehand, similar to what you can do with winter passes.

I’ve managed to find their pricing online but couldn’t see a buy now button.

Never been before so I don’t know whether there’s any benefit in buying online, so there’s no great problem with waiting until we arrive.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s so easy to buy when you are there just do that. There are zero queues plus you will have to collect the pass anyway. Let us know how you get on where you ride. I’ve done a bit around Samoens but want to know more. Also check the timetables as not all open lifts run all day (lunch break) or on are open all days

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

We’re also heading to Samoens. Will leave buying the pass until we arrive based on what you’ve said.

Noticed that the lifts are closed some days but fortunately it fits with our plans (Mrs STS doesn’t like biking, so the off days will be spent doing via-ferrata, walking and kayaking).

In addition to the Grand Massif area we’re planning on getting a lift to the les gets side and doing the trail from the top back down to Samonens, which has been recommended by quite a few people on here – If you’re interested look back through my thread list, i started one a while back about Samoens and got some good advice on places to ride.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A lift from Samoens to Les Gets, are you sure?… must admit not been there for 4 years or so.

If you are going to Samoens, definitely going up to Sixt. Stunning valley.

singletrackstinker
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    A lift from Samoens to Les Gets, are you sure?…

A lift in our car. From what I can tell, the side of the valley which borders Les Gets side is lift free. The only way to the top is by bike, transfer bus or getting the other half to drive us and drop us off.

I might be wrong. I’ve never been before!

jambalaya
    Free Member

You are correct @singletrack. There is no lift up the Les gets side to Lac Joux Plane. There are VTT trails (the descent uses some of them) but you are supposed to ride up the road. Its a TdF climb to the Lac BTW.

Not sure if I mentioned this before but if you are in Les Gets and want a lunch spot try little restaurant in Mont Caly (Mont Chery lift and ride round fire road) stunning views. If its a day the Mrs isn’t riding she can meet you there in the car. Stunning views.

View from restaurant, which is 180 degree and includes Mont Blanc (out of shot to the right)

Stu_N

NB The Morzine side of the Joux Plan is closed and likely to stay closed for the summer (though Samoens side is open). Result of some pretty severe storm damage. Lifts from Les Gets up to the Ranfolly will still be running but tarmac route is no go.

verbboy
    Free Member

I was in Samoëns last week and the riding was great. Only managed two XC rides but rode to the top of the Joux Plane and took the trails back down. Sixt up to Les Praz de Commune was rather steep but stunning up there, unfortunately I couldn’t find the path to continue the route.

http://www.utagawavtt.com/ should be useful if you have time for various rides.

Also you can ride up the Joux Plane and drop into Les Gets, do what you like there and ride / lift back up and drop back to Samoëns. On the way down follow the trails to Verchaix to add a bit extra.

Have fun

Stu_N

verbboy – the start of that path is fairly in distinct. There’s a buvette near the end of the 4×4 track, just after that there is a couple of vague paths that go across the meadow. They look really unpromising, little more than cow trails, but join up after 2-300m. From there it becomes more distinct then heads into the trees. Mix of singletrack and double track with switchbacks all the way down to the cirque. If the lift in Sixt is running it’s a good half day ride.

legend
    Free Member

Stu_N – Member

NB The Morzine side of the Joux Plan is closed and likely to stay closed for the summer (though Samoens side is open). Result of some pretty severe storm damage.

ah rubbish! That’s the best way of getting back to Morzine from Les Gets at the end of the day

verbboy
    Free Member

Stu_N – well I went across the Nant and then I guess I should have dropped into the meadow. Instead I went straight on and assumed with the bad weather some land slippage had removed the obvious path, a bit of hike a bike and then I realised I stuffed up! There were no visible trails towards the meadow and it was getting a bit late so I turned around, I was gutted after getting up there. Next time I’m back I’ll be heading for the meadow – thank you 🙂

freeridenick
    Free Member

buvette – meadow – doubletrack

Right to the cirque – is OK

Left back towards Sixt is 600m of the most primo pencil thim loamy steep track you can find anywhere…

Stu_N

Link to news story about the Joux Plane

http://www.morznet.com/news/col-de-joux-plane-closure-forces-events-in-morzine-to-change-route-morzine-region-684252

Nick, ooh sounds nice…maybe this summers trip???

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Our Bro in Law has an appartment in Morillion, we stayed a few years ago. There are some really good trails in the area. If you get the lift up to Morillion there are some nice runs down from the top.
    Lac Blu is worth a visit for an hour or 2 to chill out/eat Ice Cream. 😀

freeridenick
    Free Member

Stu, yes its really rather good..

so much good riding in the valley.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Grand Massif Lift Pass’ is closed to new replies.