Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 469 total)
  • Grand Designs – full commitment again…
  • dc1988

It does nothing for me, the eye looked far better IMO and he probably should just have done a slightly larger version of it to fit the whole family in

tomhoward

If you can afford that then there’s many, many better places to spend your money. In addition, people with that sort of money do not pay the asking price – I doubt it will get close to £10m.
    The question then is whether he comes out of this with anything?

Only takes one to fall in love with the location though. Even if it doesn’t make 10, he’s in it for 5.5 I think. VC has funded it though so guess they’ll want their bit of any profit before he gets anything.

On a more practical point, how many days a year is that pool going to be useable? Even in the summer, wind might make it a less than enjoyable place to be?

IdleJon

You’ve met my brother then?

(Except the Saab was short lived and replaced with a Citroen DS….)

Living his best stereotype? 😀

(I love DSs!)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    giant_scum
    Free Member

Keeping all of those windows clean is going to be a full time job!

jimster01

Word on the street, well in the bay, is he’d had an offer of £7.5 million made and he’d turned it down. Braunton/Croyde lovely part of the world, but Croyde is a victim of its own success and properties there are stupid amounts of money.

franksinatra

Here we go again. New series, new opportunity for Grand Designs bingo.

Kev is still feeling the cold, multiple layers of knitwear and down.

I’m not optimistic about Granddad Leo seeing the finished build.

edit. Oh.

letmetalktomark

🙈🙈🙈

franksinatra

Aaaaand she’s pregnant

Just need huge delays on windows for a win in bingo.

goldfish24

Over budget in the design phase. Tick
    Pregnant. Tick

Come on it’s gonna be glazing over budget / doesn’t fit / forgot we need windows for the bingo win….

northernremedy

The poor baby trying to get that biscuit!!

TheDTs
    Free Member

VAT misunderstanding, that’s a new one🤣🤣🤣 Tbats not what the revenue call it💩

lister

Just managed to magic up £100k or so from the ‘family’ so they can finish 😂
    I dread to guess how far over budget they’ll be at the end…and they haven’t mentioned how much the Truss budget must have messed up their sums 😳

letmetalktomark

£1.2m  is my guess.

letmetalktomark

I do like it.

goldfish24

Ok, fair enough, 2 bingo boxes ticked but not a full house. And they have a rather nice full house.

lister

I liked it until the master bedroom with the shitter (unroofed and undoored) just behind the bed’s headboard! What’s that all about???

letmetalktomark

Do we think Leo was really someone else in this family?

TheDTs
    Free Member

I do like that. Not a fan of the marble though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

She’s obviously stopped eating pies now to pay for the mortgage

To be fair really like the house. Must be worth a fair penny, and you get the impression she won’t sell

binners

Could you not just let AI generate Grand Designs by now?

Delay in the windows delivery from Germany, pregnant in a caravan, half a million quid over-budget, shake the money tree to magic up the half a mil…

Oh look… another visitor centre. Hurray!

letmetalktomark

£1.2m ……… 🥳🍾🍾

hightensionline

Makes me grateful for a bathroom door to be honest. They clearly don’t partake in a dirty Friday night kebab and the obvious resulting effects.

letmetalktomark

I bet they’ll struggle to afford a dirty Friday night kebab 😂

Its very nice sans the missing door bit.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I think I would be tempted to cut a few corners on the finish to save a few £10’s of thousands. Landscaping, marble kitchen, Corten steel water feature, etc.

Twodogs

Clearly sky diving instructing pays better than you might think

Twodogs

Fascinating to see the inside of the Gower house tho….it’s a couple of miles from me and I’ve cycled/run past it dozens of times….I’ve never seen a single sign of anyone actually living there tho.

Also that architect bollox about taking the landscape, removing it, building a house then putting the landscape back….before they knocked it down to build the concrete thing, there was a perfectly nice, big, conventional house on that site.

tuboflard

I liked it until the master bedroom with the shitter (unroofed and undoored) just behind the bed’s headboard! What’s that all about???

I love my wife more than life itself but hearing her strain the vegetables whilst I’m having a lie in with a cuppa isn’t my idea of fun for £1.2m.

Twodogs

The upper floor of the curved bit is a complete waste of space (complete with random chairs making it look like a waiting room), but i can see how it made the space underneath work.

I just can’t get my head around how an audiologist and skydiving instructor can fund a £1.2m build. Also, a £1.2m build in rural Herefordshire makes no sense.

In bitch mode, some of that £1.2m must have gone on elocution lessons and a makeover for her 😂

Oh and the obsession with “grandad” Leo is weird.

chrismac

A typical start to the series. They have £700k so the architect designs something that costs £1.1 to £1.4m to build. Those years of training clearly paid off.

Even having scraped the money from somewhere how they are going to service the debt is a mystery. I was in hysterics at the end when she said she wouldn’t have done it if she knew the costs at the beginning. But she did and still did it

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The upper floor of the curved bit is a complete waste of space (complete with random chairs making it look like a waiting room), but i can see how it made the space underneath work.

Yep I did think that, especially having a toddler running round. I bet they don’t go up there until the kid is  10yrs old

This trend for having your bog / shower in the bedroom is odd as has been mentioned above, my Mrs goes to work earlier than I do. Thankfully a door separates her having a morning dump and shower whilst I get my beauty sleep. I bet they end up using a bog and shower at the other end of the house

I hope they don’t end up getting divorced and bankrupt. He was clearly stressed by the money, she was blinkered by links to Grandad. He will want to sell and she won’t, they will both work themselves to death to pay the mortgage, end up bankrupt and divorced

aggs
    Free Member

Shame about the budget finish not!

They must have been desperate for cash !

That oak flooring was industrial depth.

Saved £8000!!!  by doing that bit themselves,  the contrators must have overcharged everywhere?

The pictures  on the wall too , crazy spending

Did you see their dog!

The mum may leave them loads of money , she may have a Putin moment of the entrance !

Good design but not a family  home.

I do like semi buried buildings for some reason.

kilo

Caught the last quarter or so. Can’t say I found it an attractive building from the outside and it looked like living in it would involve a lot of walking.

Nice views but not 1.2m worth. Agree the Grandfather fixation was a bit weird but maybe hammed up by the production company.

northernremedy

I liked the house, can’t get why you’d want to be that close to a toilet in bed…. And if you’re that tight on money – none of that landscaping was anything you couldn’t have done with a small digger and some well spent evenings and weekends.

It was a bit weird in places, I agree.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I liked bits of it, the upstairs was just an odd waste of space, could they not have just had the full height and boxed in the end as a mezzanine snug over the kitchen.

Looked like a very expensive way to build a house, would they not have gotten exactly the same end result from breeze locks and rendering it afterwards?

I like the shower and bath in the room, that’s cool, not so keen on the toilet and sink.

Outside looked a mess still. I know they ran out of budget but just running over everything with a petrol tiller and scattering grass seed isn’t expensive.

franksinatra

Outside looked a mess still. I know they ran out of budget but just running over everything with a petrol tiller and scattering grass seed isn’t expensive.

It might have been time they ran out of, not money. That big reveal part of the programme was only filmed last month.

I liked it but the money bit never adds up. If I was that broke, that stressed and in that much debt, I would not have installed the most expensive marble kitchen in the world, or the brass bath in the bedroom, or industrial oak flooring.

I do very much like houses with courtyards though. My Grand Designs build would be a south facing steading type design with three distinct wings, a bedroom wing, living / kitchen wing and utility / garage wing. All connected by a banging kitchen garden and outdoor seating in the courtyard. Bliss.

Dickyboy

I bet they end up using a bog and shower at the other end of the house

Worked on a mega bucks house just north of Regents Park, the ensuite was the other side of the house so they had a “night time WC” just off the master bedroom, so maybe they’re just right on trend 🤔

teenrat

The actual reservoir section of the house seemed to be an extremely poor use of space.  If money was such an issue and the reservoir was the sentimental part, why not just restore/develop that? The guy himself said that the reservoir alone had more space than the house they were living in.

northernremedy

@franksinatra I think I’m with you on the courtyard. Becomes a very usable outside living space and kitchen garden.

Bruce

I find all the house building and property modification tv shows a bit crap.

Starts with high hope.

The struggles in the build and artifical jeopardy

O dear we are over budget.

All well and we admire the superior architecture.

The houses all look like identikit structures from the book architects book of buildings.

The pompous presenter.

Lovely

IdleJon

I just can’t get my head around how an audiologist and skydiving instructor can fund a £1.2m build.

My wife’s an audiologist so I’ve just messaged her to see if she knows Rosa, and get the dirt if she does. I’ll also be demanding to know why we don’t live in a £1.2mill house! (Must be because I can’t sky-dive…)

@twodogs
    where on Gower is this? I haven’t seen last night’s episode yet, so is this next week’s?

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 469 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.