Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Grand Designs 60k for back windows………
  • finishthat
    Free Member

Sorry but that is a bit mad – the view is not that good..

heebyjeeby

Repulsive couple

souldrummer
    Free Member

Get the distinct feeling the builders are not happy!!!

LMT
    Free Member

Kevins lost his touch, no babies on the way or born this one!

zippykona

Why do these houses never have curtains?

souldrummer
    Free Member

Is it me or does it looks like every other one they have done recently??

heebyjeeby

Because they have gone naively into the contract and tied down by the smug rich people. They probably went bust

Straightliner

Where exactly is it? Wimbledon?

rewski
    Free Member

Herne hill

crankboy
    Free Member

Souldrummer it ain’t you.

matt_outandabout

Why do these houses never have curtains?

Aye, pervy bathroom onto a main London road… 😕
    Daughters and their bedroom, onto public park, no curtains or blinds. 😕
    Too much concrete surfacing as well.

singlecrack
    Free Member

I liked the Iroko cladding …

tang
    Free Member

All a bit revolting. Can I swipe those specs off that archetects face in a not too careful manner please.

Nick

I liked it, great location too.

Speeder

I caught the last few minutes and quite liked the place in the end.

Great location – there’s even a BMX track within a 100m of the garden.

neilnevill
    Free Member

I cycle down (a different) edge of brockwell park every commute. The area is a bit shabby and the park is just a plain park, seemed odd to me.

darkcyan
    Free Member

Grand Designs is beginning to make me feel quite sick. People utterly obsessed with having the best this or the best that to put on their projects driven my marketing hype and the new best thing. Polished concrete, the latest ceramics …….hang on!

darkcyan
    Free Member

I noticed their windows weren’t the new standard though – must be utterly rubbish 😉

st

I liked it, not keen on the location but then I’m not a Londoner. Where did they keept their cars though?

If they can afford to commit to that level of mortgage then why not do it?

The show is called Grand Designs so if it was all about a lonewoodsman in a forest building his house out of twigs and berries then that would kind of miss the point too.

It would be nice to see some more quirky project though, looks like next week’s might tick that box.

bencooper
    Free Member

The show is called Grand Designs so if it was all about a lonewoodsman in a forest building his house out of twigs and berries then that would kind of miss the point too.

I think the best one ever was the bloke who built his own house in his woodland, built just by him and his mates out of fresh wood and straw bales.

SkillWill
    Free Member

I would dread going round to visit though. Bet they come out grinning every time “So… let’s give you the tour” and then you have to shlep round admiring every f*cking hinge.

“So… let me give you the tour…”
    “No that’s OK, I get it, upstairs has bedrooms and stuff… standard”
    “OK get the f*ck out of my house”

Bruce

The 100k house on BBC2 is a little more down to earth and less vomit inducing

matt_outandabout

I did like last nights – It just needs window coverings and less concrete inside.

wiggles
    Free Member

that 100k house program was better.
    I would love to live in a 747 fuselage!

marcus7
    Free Member

have to say its all becoming a bit of a yawnfest, it wouldnt be a grand design these days without some amazingly expensive glass and a shafted builder…. There appears to be no mix these days and as said above its all about the hinges and hand made austrian taps. yes it is a grand design but how many people really have £1M to spend on a pet project. To some, spending £100K would be pretty strong and theres no reason to say that it wouldnt be a grand design (its been done before!!). I’ve said in the past that my decisions on the show are becoming more about the people and to be honest these days the ego projects are getting right up my nose. A balence is what is needed so a bit of “hippy” (for want of a better word) design would be nice to see. And finally… budget, why is it when they go over by £100K they alway manage to “find” it somehow… i know i couldn’t!

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

The programme is contemptible. If I watch it, it makes me feel angry, although this develops into a perverse form of ‘entertainment’ in itself.

packer
    Free Member

I agree that it’s getting way too formulaic and hence a bit boring to watch.

I loved that house though – I would literally kill to live in that location, it would be perfect for me.

binners

Grand designs ran out of anything genuinely interesting to say years ago. Either that, or just got too lazy to be bothered. The most interesting one was when a couple were converting an old pumping house, on a really tight budget. Or the guys who converted the water tower. Stuff like that is worth watching. Unfortunately its now just formulaic, unimaginative cheque writing.

They should re-title the programme ‘Massive Ego. Massive Bank Account’ and just have done with it. Alternatively change the format so it has a caustic running commentary in the style of ‘Come DIne with Me’. Now that would be worth watching 😀

MSP

The last one I enjoyed at all was the life boat launch hut in South Wales (Tenby???). But the interesting ones have got rarer and rarer, from either an architectural viewpoint or people you can root for. Haven’t watched any of the current series.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Let me guess how it went. Kevin McSmug berates the project from the outset then at the end admits it’s “quite nice actually”. Utter tosser.

lemonysam
    Free Member

The last one I enjoyed at all was the life boat launch hut in South Wales (Tenby???). But the interesting ones have got rarer and rarer, from either an architectural viewpoint or people you can root for. Haven’t watched any of the current series.

Isn’t part of this a result of the fact that domestic architecture in the UK just isn’t as boring as it was 15 years ago house?

I feel the same really but then looking back at the last series I kind of realised that the defining characteristic of the ones I disliked was that they were london builds on awkward plots. Most of the rest I enjoyed. I’d forgotten the nuts Irish singer building himself a castle.

Edit: and I bloody loved the Skye one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

They should re-title the programme ‘Massive Ego. Massive Bank Account’

Indeed. The smug grin when last night’s chap proudly said how much the windows cost was horrid.

These windows? Yeah, baby, 60 large, because I’m loaded innit!

ransos
    Free Member

have to say its all becoming a bit of a yawnfest, it wouldnt be a grand design these days without some amazingly expensive glass and a shafted builder

Mostly, though I did like the “Japanese” house in Wales last week. And the budget was more sensible than most.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Mostly, though I did like the “Japanese” house in Wales last week. And the budget was more sensible than most.

I liked that and I liked the mad bloke with his airfield the week before.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

it’s become more generic designs than grand designs in my opinion.
    lets get back to the genuinely inspiring and quirky builds rather than an another ego driven ‘design’ w**kfest

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Careful now….You’ll have teh modz warning you for swear filter avoidance using stars like that…!

However, I agree. Intriguing stuff where people are trying something different is interesting. Smug (swear filter avoidance)s showing off how much they spent on their kitchen isn’t. I can only assume they’re doing it so they can get a better selling price when they feel the muse upon them for another project where they can really make their mark, you know, like in an artistic way bringing something new? (AKA when they’re broke)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Mister P – Member
    Let me guess how it went. Kevin McSmug berates the project from the outset then at the end admits it’s “quite nice actually”. Utter tosser.

Exactly the same as Sarah Benney in this respect…

toppers3933
    Free Member

The problem with that 100k house prog on bbc2 is that the ones I’ve seen so far have not cost 100k. The last one was 160k! Which quite spectacularly misses the point. Shirley.

The grand designs house built by the soldier who had his legs blown off by an ied was quite good I thought.

spooky_b329

Toppers, the title doesn’t really make sense, the larger builds are still much cheaper per sq metre than the average.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs 60k for back windows………’ is closed to new replies.