Grand Designs

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 588 total)
  • Grand Designs
  • Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

I reckon the twin with the house side on to the pond got the much better deal!

teenrat

That’s just round the corner from me. I watched it go up and thought it was a warehouse/ factory.

I liked that.

But no pregnancy?

Standards Kev, standards..  🙄

rmacattack

slacking indeed kevin, not even one baby, should have been a high chance of 4 on this one.

Premier Icon Rich_s
    Subscriber

Really? Milf quotient was waaay too high.

revs1972

Did well to get a 25 ton steel frame for £42k, though i bet they painted straight over that mill scale and surface rust 🙄

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

That’s just round the corner from me. I watched it go up and thought it was a warehouse/ factory

Any of your neighbours expecting?

hooli

I liked this weeks episode. I did prefer number 1’s house (the twin with the wife), number 2’s (with the girlfriend) place was a bit pizza express/shop like for me.

I did chuckle at “we are going to build for xx per M” without getting any quotes to find out what the work would cost. Hi Tesco, yes, I know it says £9,99 but I only want to pay £7…

Premier Icon Dickyboy
    Subscriber

Was that really a bath in the bedroom that I saw, def not my cup of tea this week.

Steel stairs and concrete stairs.. it’s a no from me. Twin hipster douchebag episode.

neilnevill

Nice views over the pond, houses were not furnished/finished really….I think they need some softening but that’s personal choice.  Not the most interesting episode.

Does anyone else think that this series seems to focus more on the sob stories/struggles of people building a house rather than the actual building of the house? Could fit all the building shots of the whole series into a 30 minute slot. I want to see more of the craftsmanship that goes into building houses, not shots of people talking about money.

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

He’s losing his touch, I reckon.  Usually we have a build/pregnancy factor of almost unity.  This series, he has let not only us – but the property owners down.  His testosterone levels must be on the wane…

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

the coincident factor in all of these programmes is the size – the self-builders are always undone by rapidly escalating costs because they request 4m+ ceiling heights so the error magnitude blows the budget. so they end up with bare walls etc because they are going to have to live with it because they’re skint.

I agree with Bavariangaz – more building focus, but I imagine the contractors say TTFO to protect their own professional reputation. it would be good to have a review programme(s) and have hindsight advice.

hooli

I don’t know about Kev losing his touch, he may not have got her pregnant but he managed to add 2 kids in the 1 hour episode! That’s going some by any standards.

globalti

We’ve recently watched two episodes where the houses have been clad in black corrugated material, one in plastic and last night’s in steel. Last night’s houses were also steel-framed. Having a pal who owns a steel and glass flat at the top of a building in the middle of Leeds I can tell you that no matter how well insulated, solar gain makes those modern buildings unbearably hot in summer while all the glass and steel makes them freezing in winter.

I did like the “industrial” look of the interiors with hanging strip lights, exposed pipework and conduit and will be having that in the dream house in Scotland, but only in the well-insulated larch-clad gym / workshop / pottery studio!

postierich

Just watched Sundays GD and nearly spat my tea out as Steph is an old GF!! he was definitely a bit wet and not her type 🙂

fooman

At least I know I could live the Grad Designs lifestyle by putting a sofa and tv in the warehouse at work. Plenty of exposed brickwork and cabling there. Hmm not for me. Previous builds this series I’ve liked though.

Premier Icon Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

Steph is an old GF!!

Wow! So many questions… that I’m not going to ask.

I think the only reason that “soft bloke” was still alive (at the time of filming) was that she was fattening him up to feed her young.

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

it’s the natural order of things. Post industrialisation we had masses of warehouses and nowhere to live so we converted them all into accommodation. Now we’re building accommodation that looks and behaves like warehouses.

But they’ll be laughing, how many feature pallets of beans can they get straight in through their bifold doors and stacked under their 8m ceiling when the brexocalypse happens, whereas I’ve got a small cupboard.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

How massively over budget this week? And what environment impact pouring all that concrete

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

Agree about the concrete. Loved the bit in Rom skatepark though. Visited that many times in my younger days. 🤘

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

I was in a meeting with the Cemex Technical guy last week at Cambridge University, talking about real hi-tech stuff. Not concrete with bits of paperclip in 😉

nerd

Nuclear power station.

Premier Icon edhornby
    Subscriber

I don’t doubt the technology but domestic doesn’t seem to be the best use, the design is overly complex , all those levels seem to be fussy and for all of his love of curves in the skate park there are none here.

pk13

I hope there is no mercury in those kitchen units

50s/60 chemistry labs.

Concrete rot in 20 years. I do love a skate park thou

tails

Hmmm I liked the couples idea but I think he completely lost the idea why he liked concrete. He should have used all the curves he loved in the skate park, instead he got a badly finished concreate block with a harsh interior. Although the kitchen was okay. He must earn a pretty penny doing that diving.

Premier Icon jamj1974
    Subscriber

Looks dreadful.  Where is the organic element he loved so much…?  Inside looks like it’s already damp and the finish is poor.

rmacattack

Abysmal. That budget, no kevin offspring . A banksy on the wall maybe?

My god that’s ugly.

djglover

Awful. One of the worst I can remember.

fooman

The looks are hurting my eyes and the acoustics especially in the kitchen diner were hurting my ears. I think it would make me ill to live there. Pigmented render inside and a nice floor covering may help.

Ro5ey

The only skate park that looks like is The South Bank.

Looks like it smells of piss.

But if you rendered the lot and painted it white ld move in tomorrow.

Subscriber

It looked like a U-Boat pen.

Premier Icon jca
    Subscriber

Good luck trying to sell that in the future…

fooman

There is a silver lining to this build, it’s been reported they’ve just signed with a major film studio who are making a feature about a dystopian future, where the world outside has collapsed and a family has no choice but to try and survive in a bunker, surrounded by broken and worn out furniture salvaged from the old world. Apparently the film makers are going to save a fortune as they don’t have to dress the set!

All the underfloor heating in the world couldn’t make that seem like an agreeable place to live.

Why didn’t they just buy a decent house and build a skatepark in the garden?

Subscriber

It must be Lewes thing. That ghastly rusting cheese grater of a place from a few years ago is in the same town.

Not sure about the reclaimed science lab kitchen. As a child of the 80s I wouldn’t want to touch my old science lab furniture, let alone prepare food on it. Also, are there be several thousand “Subway Knobs” and messages proclaiming that “Laura is a Slag” scratched into it?

Whatever, it was their money and their choice.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

I guess a house doesn’t have to be homely if you only spend 6 months a year in it, the rest of the time being spent in a decompression chamber.

the wife may feel differently in a year or two

Premier Icon maccruiskeen
    Subscriber

Not sure about the reclaimed science lab kitchen. As a child of the 80s I wouldn’t want to touch my old science lab furniture, let alone prepare food on it. Also, are there be several thousand “Subway Knobs” and messages proclaiming that “Laura is a Slag” scratched into it?

I built some exhibition units out of reclaimed Iroko that had previously been the changing room benches from a school. Chiseling 50 years worth of hardened chewing gum off the bottom of each plank was a surprisingly nostalgic olfactory experience.

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 588 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.