Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 645 total)
  • Grand Designs
  • nerd
    Free Member

A lot of them are fitted with chimneys.

It doesn’t all go up the chimney, even for a well sealed stove.

The Environment Agency and Public Health England want to ban wood burning stoves not only because they pollute the air outside the home but also inside.

outofbreath
    Free Member

they pollute the air outside the home but also inside.

Clearly *some* soot must end up in the air in the house when it’s emptied etc – indeed the hearth needs regular cleaning.

However, in use I’m pretty sure the airflow is out of the house and up the chimney.

So, are we talking about flow of smoke in use into the house or pollution from the messy ash/soot/dusk that gets left behind?

And is it quantified anywhere?

mick_r

Is a wood burning stove compatible with a sealed house / whole house heat recovery ventilation system? It surely needs to be a very fancy sealed (from the room) stove that doesn’t use the room air for combustion.

Nico
    Free Member

Ok some of the art I wouldn’t choose but Healthier kids is a win for me

The “art” could have been improved by replacing with a poster of a tennis player scratching her bum. As somebody once said of Tina Turner’s house, “I didn’t realise you could spend a million dollars in Woolworths”. Some of the decor was naff too, but that’s all easily fixed and the house looked nice, even without its health benefits (if any).

imnotverygood

I did wonder about the dog sneaking into one of the shots. Surely they didn’t do all that, but still had a pooch?

richmars

So the filter they showed, full of dirt, that was filtering the air entering the house?

So how long does it take to filter the inside when they leave all the doors open?

Shouldn’t they have air locks instead of doors?

I can see the point of reducing out-gassing from sofas and carpets, but surely a losing battle filtering the air.

JustAnotherLogin
    Free Member

The air system will be constantly pumping air out as well as pumping air in. So even if you have the doors open for a while it should cleanse when the doors are shut. We’ve got one. It was not installed for the same purpose though. We had loads of condensation and no extraction so rather than fitting typical extraction fans we went a bit further and installed a MVHR system upstairs. It basically pumps fresh filtered air into the bedrooms and takes wet air out of the bathrooms. The outgoing air heats up the incoming air so its energy efficient. It’s made a big difference from condensation and mould. It’s basically just a step up from positive air ventilation for our house. Their’s is a sealed system and ducting through our the whole house so taken a step further again.

onehundredthidiot

Are we to assume all the art was VOC free as well. I know it’s picky but you can’t have solvent free paint, water is a solvent to water soluble stuff and technically paints don’t use solvents are the pigment does not dissolve. (Feel better now)

shuhockey
    Free Member

also didn’t see an extractor fan for the hob.

edhornby

The art will be on loan from her job, with maybe the exception of the painting they paid specific attention to. probably not low VOC paints but they won’t be fresh, more likely a load of stuff that’s been in the gallery for ages 🙂

You’re right about nothing being VOC free, I think the emulsions etc were ‘low VOC’ rather than zero

And there must have been a hob extractor somewhere, isn’t it a building reg now?

ElShalimo

Is anyone else enjoying Impossible Builds on More4 with Charlie Luxton?

onehundredthidiot

Also I get their jobs are in London BUT if the children’s health was, as the claim, the most important thing. Then plenty of places they could go take a pay cut, yet still have a decent income that wasn’t a polluted metropolis.

chrismac

Indeed. But probably not where a personal trainer and a gallery owner can earn enough to spend £1.3m on a house

chrismac

Yes, they also seem more modest and achievable than many of the grand design projects

nicko74

Also I get their jobs are in London BUT if the children’s health was, as the claim, the most important thing. Then plenty of places they could go take a pay cut, yet still have a decent income that wasn’t a polluted metropolis.

Of all the ‘fun to be annoyed by’ things this week (there were very few actually), this was the main one. The wife wondered whether the kids were home-schooled or went to school in bubbles… I guess the idea is that if you can have all night in a clean place, you might do better during the hours you’re in the rest of the world, but still.

Also, v disappointed – they hired project managers, everything worked and was on time, no discussion of windows, no odd design choices and so on. I want to watch *Grand* Designs, not Designs That Actually Are Well Planned and Go Pretty Much to Plan!

tjagain

Nope – I gave up on the one I watched when they were being all dramatic about the impossibility of building a conventional house of bricks and motor on Harris ‘cos it was so remote – the delivered the crappy prefab onto site in a big lorry.  The site was 4 miles from the ferry terminal and there is simply zero issue in getting conventional building materials to site.  Perfectly straightforward build of a prefab house on an accessible site.  From the lead in bits I thought it was going to be on one of the islands accessible only by a wee boat or helicopter.

CountZero

Perfectly straightforward build of a prefab house on an accessible site.

I saw that one, I was amazed they spent so much money on a huge concrete block for the groundworks, when they could easily have had a bunch of holes drilled and filled with concrete, forming piles that the floor could have been laid on using a steel framework just like the rest of the house. It would have saved a lot of time and money. Something like this house constructed from shipping containers – which would have been my choice anyway, each module could be built off-site, delivered craned into place on the piles and services connected, and moved into straight away, with extra modules delivered and placed over time.

edhornby

Anyone think that there is a serious lack of planning going on this week??? Do they not watch old episodes?

As always it’s the bit of the story that isn’t told, like her extra hours following the husbands job loss and why the architect mate wasn’t used straight from the off. 3 years in a caravan

earplugs not in properly !

matt_outandabout

Yeah, I’m not convinced that was full picture.

That said – budgeting without finding extra £100k down back of sofa, no bling kitchens, lack of architect show-off projects, no pregnancy and no throwing £20k on lovely landscaping to finish. Rather refreshing for GD.

jonno101
    Free Member

Never answered how they got planning? My understanding is that its not easy to get planning on agricultural land? Otherwise we’d all be doing it 🙂

tomhoward

why the architect mate wasn’t used straight from the off.

They touched on it, basically she was working on other (presumably more lucrative) contracts. I’m half expecting the mates house to be on in a week or two!

husband seems to have done alright out of the whole affair….

Harry_the_Spider

He was wetter than an otter’s pockets.

Nice house though.

Harry_the_Spider

Also, what was going on with the original brief and Mystery Colin?

Unhappy Couple : We have £250k

Mystery Colin : I have designed a £490k house

Unhappy Couple : Smashing! Let’s go ahead then. Sell our house, go through Planning and move into a ratty caravan with our young family for many years… but we still only have £250k

He was worse than her though. He only stuck 4 nails in on the whole job. If it was me unemployed and freezing to death I’d be labouring 24 hours a day to get out of the shit.

If she had found the nail gun I suspect that the fifth nail would have been between his eyes and the patio would have got more expensive.

It could, of course, all been in the edit and C4 just made them look like that.

mick_r

Harry – you’re forgetting the bit where they didn’t actually have £250k……

roger_mellie

I’m glad they showed Mystery Colin, so anyone currently considering his services could see what a total bell-end he really is. What is it about architects on GD not listening?!

End result was good for them I thought, fitted in well to the farm surroundings, modest but special, I liked the natty balcony/ terrace.

richmars

My understanding on planning, is that if you’re the farmer, and you can show you have to live on the farm, you may get planning. I couldn’t buy a field and claim  to be a farmer and get planning.

The same with building barns and other farming type structures.

Dickyboy

Although the second design on this job was okay, no actually I quite liked it. It winds me up that planning is generally only given in places like this for “grand design” type places – so basically if you have the money for a large project thats fine but if you just want a small place and live off the land sustainably, no that won’t be allowed 😒

richmars

Dickyboy,

I think what you refer to is a section in the planning regs that allows buildings of ‘architectural merit’ (AKA big, expensive) houses to be built in the countryside. I don’t think this was built under that, just a farm house built for a farmer.

But I could be wrong.

tomhoward

Harry – you’re forgetting the bit where they didn’t actually have £250k……

They had a mortgage approved for £250k, based on both their incomes. Then the fella lost his job, so offer removed.

CheesybeanZ

Why didn’t they move in with her mom ? Big house just up the lane .

Dickyboy

@richmars – yes that, it was touched on at the beginning of the program by the mk1 architect. Maybe because they had planning permission for the grander design they were able to pull at the heart strings & consequently get this one through.

northshoreniall

We too wondered why persevere in a cold tin can and not move in with her mother, but hubby didn’t seem keen on her when Kevin mentioned granny flat so maybe there’s issues?

Harry_the_Spider

Why didn’t they move in with her mom ? Big house just up the lane

Would you want to share a house with them?

globalti
    Free Member

That black corrugated cladding looks as if it will absorb a lot of solar radiation during the summer. It doesn’t matter how well the walls and roof are insulated; that heat will collect and the entire box will get hotter and hotter.

But it set off the red cedar cladding inside the balcony.

chrismac

Never answered how they got planning? My understanding is that its not easy to get planning on agricultural land? Otherwise we’d all be doing it

I think the critical bit was at the beginning when they said they had a small holding that was turning a modest profit. I think that is the key.

I liked the house they ended up with, modest sensible and nice. Not your typical GD where you need intercoms to find each other. As said the original architect was a fool. Architects must hate Grand Designs as they all come across as not having a clue about how much things cost to build. The second one was very good in this one. I did get the impression the client would have lived in anything as it was all about the location and not the building for her

stevie750

Architects must hate Grand Designs as they all come across as not having a clue about how much things cost to build

A good few years ago on GD there was a house built on Skye to a tight budget , the bedroom was kind of in the roof and and one of the owners asked the architect if he could put a roof window in the design. He basically said “No, you can’t afford it”.

The builder on Skye was also also probably the best one I have seen on GD

onehundredthidiot

Haven’t seen the whole of last night’s but her language was telling. It was her house on her grandads farm and her children. Second husband not getting on with her mother? He was a touch weak.

edhornby

The reveal was right at the end, when Kev does the monologue. The mother had a self-built house on the land and I would bet my right obllock that she sold granddad’s farmhouse and land to pay for it, hence her desire to buy back the farm and have her own house.

Rich_s

1/4 of the programme gone and all they’ve done is… nowt. Nada. Zilch

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 645 total)

The topic ‘Grand Designs’ is closed to new replies.