Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Gran Canaria – Any one got recommendations for a good place to stay ?
  • zinger
    Free Member

Hi All

Just booked a flight to Cran Canaria for next March – for dare i say road riding…..

Anyone got any recommendations for a good self catering place to stay with 2 bedrooms

I’ve had a look around and there seems to be a lot of options – but its always good to hear from others who have stayed out there

Must haves for place are its in a quiet location, its non smoking ,we can keep bikes in it and parking is easy

Cheers

crazy-legs

Maspalomas is the “standard” place to stay, there’s thousands of roadies head there and it’s probably the main tourist town on the island after Las Palmas. Lots of bars, restaurants, big sandy beaches and so on so it might fail the “quiet” part of your requirements. I’ve only been to Maspalomas once for half a day cos I needed to go to FreeMotion, the bike hire place so I got the bus there. Didn’t like it much but I didn’t really see all of it. It was noticeably warmer than the northern half of the island though!

We’ve stayed in Teror, a sort of big village/small town up in the central north and that’s lovely. Couple of decent supermarkets, enough bars and restaurants to get by on (not a massive choice it has to be said) but it’s quiet, it’s easy access to all the decent road riding; Maspalomas comes with a long drag out and back every single ride to access the best bits like Valley of the Tears and Pico de las Nieves.

They had some really bad wildfires there a couple of months ago (predominantly in the north of the island, around Tejeda), worth checking if any roads are still closed before you book accommodation. You don’t want to be stuck on only one road out and back!

It’s an amazing place, stunning road riding. Wider tyres are a good idea though – the roads tend to be either beautifully smooth or “like British roads”, there’s not really an in between.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

We stayed in meloneras, great apartment would tick all your boxes.

Walking distance to maspolomas which we also didn’t like but also local restaurants which were good.

I’ll dig out the details if you like.

zinger
    Free Member

“We stayed in meloneras, great apartment would tick all your boxes.”

If you could that what be very useful

zinger
    Free Member

Hi crazy-legs

where did you stay in Teror – do you a have a web linky to it ?

Were not die hard roadies , but the other half wanted to go somewhere warm around her birthday

And I’m heading off to on my own USA for a few weeks MTB’ing later in march so a week of road riding should help get legs ready for that trip

We are going to take our road bikes with us – although i am thinking about swapping out the rear cassettes for something larger as some of the climbs look pretty steep

So far only seen one closed road and thats down on the south west coast

When you say north is colder than south – how much colder are is it ?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

We stayed here.

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p6810006

It was a family holiday though not a biking hol but the place was good.

grannyjone
    Free Member

Anyone know of any “full week” Mountain Biking holiday packages in any of the Canary islands ??

Really is last considerations for my Winter MTB holiday as I’m really close to booking for Spain again!

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I also stayed in Teror last year. Amazing place.

The majority of the weather tends to come from the north hence there’s quite a contrast from North being very green to South being dry and rocky. There was much more choice around Teror. Also much less touristy but not so much so that it’s a problem.

Terror is about 6-800m above sea level from memory.

We managed to ride most of the island from there as it’s quite a convinient centralish location (it’s far from the north coast so easy enough to head south and back).

You’ll need strong climbing legs!

northernmatt

We were there last May for a week, family holiday not biking. We stayed in a villa on the Anfi Tauro golf resort. Probably too big for what you needed but there was some smaller villas available as well.

@grannyjone
    I was looking into it for when we went over there. I found Free Motion, they do bike hire and they do guided rides as well. I can’t comment on how good they were as I didn’t actually end up doing it and I’m glad I didn’t as it was 30+deg when we were there!

crazy-legs

Hi crazy-legs

where did you stay in Teror – do you a have a web linky to it ?

I was not in charge of sorting accommodation, my holiday friend found it on Airbnb. Nice cottage type place about 10 mins walk south of the town centre. Will see if I can find it once I’m on my laptop rather than a phone!

dannymite1981
    Free Member

One holiday we had five days in Maspalomas which I enjoyed then five days in a mountain village called tejeda which was stunning place we went in February and had good weather,stunning village and remember seeing lots of road bikers around,quiet place with few shops and a good restaurant or two.Loads of hiking around there as well,about 2hrs from airport.

wardee
    Free Member

Go for somewhere in the south of the island. The weather in the north of the island tends to be a lot more variable,colder and wetter. The south of the island has a totally different climate with constant sun and is where the tourist resorts are.

I stayed in a cavehouse in Artenara in the mountains. Very cheap and amazing scenery, but was surrounded by very thick fog for days on end due to the altitude. Driving on the mountain roads in thick fog is terrifying. They put the cats eyes at the side of the road instead of down the centre which means that when you get to a crossroads or junction. they just stop and in fog you can’t tell where the road goes.

Tejeda mentioned above is further down the mountain and on the south side so not as bad. It would be my choice if I were to go again.

I found maspolomas a bit touristy. It’s also 25 – 30 degrees warmer than Artenara where temperatures were close to freezing at times!

shortcut

Freemotion do great mtb tours five days a week so a good option if you want a week of riding in Gran Canaria. Heading that way just after Christmas.

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

Just be aware that while it’s likely to be pleasantly warm at sea level in March, it will be much colder in the mountains… Can’t remember the name of where we stayed but it was chilly!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Gran Canaria – Any one got recommendations for a good place to stay ?’ is closed to new replies.