Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 240 total)
  • Grammar Schools, again…..
  • MSP

re-parking the bus in the centre ground….”prioritising working people” !!!!

Not what people were expecting.

Empty rhetoric not matched by the detail, is exactly what I was expecting.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

😀

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Given that her inaugural speech placed her some way to the left of Aneurin Bevan and her actions throughout her career place her much further right than David Cameron I’m not sure that what Teresa May says can be trusted.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

She needs to stop chewing her lip!

Gurning not good for the photo shot

rosscore
    Free Member

On the radio this morning they were prattling on about every secondary school will be given the opportunity to become a Grammar, so what’s that all about, sounds like more spin on the name than the system being re-employed. It’s BS you can be sure of that much.

MSP

Makes perfect sense, make all schools grammar schools, all the remaining unselected pupils can be shipped off to special g4s facilities where they will be trained to watch Jeremy Kyle on big screen tv’s and smoke lambert and butlers to fulfil the tory underclass fantasy.

martinhutch

Education reform does appear to be primarily about re-branding rather than actually reforming, so this should come as no surprise.

Is this an admission that offering every school the chance to become an Academy has not exactly proved to be the panacea that they were hoping for?

rosscore
    Free Member

That G4s lot get about had one read the gas meter the other day saying they’re checking in case the valve was wrong and likely to explode, the nice man even repaired the broken lock where I had to bust in to read it myself not long since, nothing to do with schools grammar or otherwise, just wondering how wide the G4S tentacles are spreading, it is time after all for a bit of thread drift.

martinhutch

Would be probably be appropriate to have Securicor ending up running our schools in some areas.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

On the radio this morning they were prattling on about every secondary school will be given the opportunity to become a Grammar

If they all took up the offer then wouldn’t that be the comprehensive school system but with different sign writing?

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

How ironic the government are thinking about bringing back a school system that has failed in the past..a system that in itself is all about failing and passing….must mean failing is a good thing if they’re want to do something that failed before…let’s celebrate failing!!!!! 😀

anagallis_arvensis

Ofsted’s chief inspector of schools, Sir Michael Wilshaw, said the idea that poor children would benefit from a return of grammar schools was “tosh” and “nonsense” I think its time I retired.

miketually
    Free Member

On the radio this morning they were prattling on about every secondary school will be given the opportunity to become a Grammar, so what’s that all about, sounds like more spin on the name than the system being re-employed. It’s BS you can be sure of that much.

Gove thought that every school could be above average, so every school a grammar makes sense.

How ironic the government are thinking about bringing back a school system that has failed in the past..a system that in itself is all about failing and passing….must mean failing is a good thing if they’re want to do something that failed before…let’s celebrate failing!!!!!

Isn’t it Tory policy that we return to the 50s?

The current reform of GCSEs and A-levels, the least well implemented education reform ever, was specifically aimed at increasing the failure rate.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

An obvious conclusion – minimise the role of the state in education then !!!

Another circle squared in the end.

neilthewheel

grammar schools comprehensive schools community colleges academies free schools grammar schools are going to solve all our educational problems.

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@cranherry – good to see a Tory (you) against Grammar schools. .because surely you wouldn’t be advocating a school system that churns out the very people you dislike…that’d just be a bit stupid wouldn’t it…. 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

EVB – did you miss the joke by any chance?

edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

@thm…I think you need to give my post a considered read.. 🙄

Northwind
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

They must be bad then?

kimbers

anagallis_arvensis

Really pleased its looking like a non runner!

Dickyboy

How ironic the government are thinking about bringing back a school system that has failed in the past..a system that in itself is all about failing and passing….must mean failing is a good thing if they’re want to do something that failed before…let’s celebrate failing!!

Edenvalleyboy certainly knows his onions

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

In the meantime, watch how many of our representatives choose to opt out of what’s left…..funny that….

Junkyard
    Free Member

what is funny about the rich being able to provide better education, by paying , than what state school kids get?

What relevance does this have to a debate on grammar schools?

anagallis_arvensis

what is funny about the rich being able to provide better education, by paying ,

They just care more Junky, poor parents dont care. Also according to thm its the wealth of the parents that somehow automatically makes them better at school.

Remember…the money is mine!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Aren’t teachers meant to be able to quote accurately – or is that just for humanities?

SFA to do with wealth as the stats show, it’s the attitude of the parents that counts most.

Junkyard
    Free Member

THM can you try and make points rather than score them?

SFA to do with wealth as the stats show

cite please May I see this evidence?
    Lets see if you can have a grown up conversation rather than just dish out pithy remarks

anagallis_arvensis

SFA to do with wealth as the stats show, it’s the attitude of the parents that counts most

So rich parents have a more positive attitude? Does this factor out weigh income or private education?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No, let me repeat for you….”SFA to do with wealth.”

Junkyard
    Free Member

could you include some evidence next time?

finephilly
    Free Member

I always thought grammar schools were a good idea. You pay a bit up front and get something between a comprehensive and public school.

ahwiles
    Free Member

hilly – Member 
    I always thought grammar schools were a good idea. You pay a bit up front and get something between a comprehensive and public school.

Exactly, grammar schools are effectively a way of using public money to fund private schools.

anagallis_arvensis

No, let me repeat for you….”SFA to do with wealth.”

If you say it three times does it become true?!!

Doesnt look like it

http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/dps/case/cp/CASEpaper164.pdf

finephilly
    Free Member

tbf you could argue it either way. They’re cheaper than public school but may offer better standards or more discipline than a comprehensive.

ahwiles
    Free Member

But only really to those kids whose parents can afford the extra coaching required to pass the entry exams.

Publically funded social exclusion and entrenchment? No thanks.

anagallis_arvensis

woody74

For starters we need to get away with this obsession with everyone doing high paid jobs. For a society to work you need people to do the basic jobs that keep society working. Cleaners, builders, postmen, dinner ladies, etc, etc. Now I agree that these people should all get a decent and wage. This obsession of high value, high wage jobs is silly as in the scheme of things only every a small % of the population can do them as there will never be that many. We need to take the technical trades more seriously like in Germany and make many of them a skill level as equal to a degree. We might then actually have some plumbers and builders that know how to use modern building practices and materials.

Going back to Grammers if the powers at be really do think thay are a benefit for society then role them out nation wide and make sure all the non grammers schools are just as amazing. If they don’t role them out nation wide then they can’t be all that important or beneficial.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 240 total)

The topic ‘Grammar Schools, again…..’ is closed to new replies.