Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Grammar question
  • aracer
    Free Member

Which of these is correct:
    “Add some salt to the soup”, said the chef.
    “Add some salt to the soup,” said the chef.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

either

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

actually, probably the first one. They both look wrong though

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Or just drop the comma?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Number 2.

bruneep

in the soup instead of salt? 😐

Toddboy
    Free Member

Pepper, always add pepper to soup, tastes better.

funkmasterp

What’s with the comma?

anagallis_arvensis

i fink its the furst

StirlingCrispin

First is UK English, second US.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

The first. The comma should not be included within the speech marks as it’s not part of what was said.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Depends on applicable house style

aracer
    Free Member

Interesting responses, there is a reason for asking, but I’ll wait to see if there are any different answers before explaining.

km79
    Free Member

Should it be a full stop instead of a comma?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Number 1.

rone

I would say the 2nd is normal dialogue. But doesn’t the comma imply more dialogue to come and there isn’t any.

Naranjada
    Free Member

It is not an issue of grammar. It is an issue of punctuation.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

And the correct answer which is neither.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

They are both wrong , the soup was seasoned correctly .

scotroutes

That.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I think the first, unless (perhaps) if the chef is continuing the sentence, eg:

“Add some salt to the soup,” said the chef “and don’t argue with me.”

Whether punctuation goes inside or outside the quotes only matters if there’s a reason to have the punctuation.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Depends on what comes next?

But neither obviously as we have too much salt in our diets

aracer
    Free Member

And the correct answer which is neither.

Interesting answer in a thread discussing the correct location of a comma. 😉 Though I’m curious what the correct answer is.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

‘Interesting answer in a thread discussing the correct location of a comma’, said aracer.

aracer
    Free Member

The context to this is that the second version is in my son’s homework book, along with lots of other similar examples. It first jumped out at me on an exercise where he had to place the quotation marks, had put the comma inside the quotes and my first thought was that it was wrong, but then I read the rest of the page including that example. “There’s always a punctuation mark before the final speech marks”, it says at the top of the page (DYSWIDT).

I’m reassured that plenty of you seem to agree with me, though googling suggests it’s a style thing.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

‘Single, and not “double quotation” marks for the initial quotation and comma outside unless part of the quote, in Br Eng’, says the English teacher. So, both are wrong. Style, schmyle!
    EDIT: And yes, its a kwestion ov punktuasun not grammer… #Style!

stever
    Free Member

‘It wouldn’t be the first time schoolwork was overly prescriptive and looking for a definitive answer where there is none’ said Steve.

wallop

Neither. A comma is only appropriate if the speech continues after ‘said the chef’.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

The first is less bad, but the sentence doesn’t need the comma. It’s also horribly alliterative, so if it’s not a line from Beowolf, the writer should be forced to eat it, engraved on stone.

aracer
    Free Member

‘Single, and not “double quotation” marks for the initial quotation

Hmm, I’d certainly argue that’s a style thing. Though personally I prefer:

😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Hmm, I’d certainly argue that’s a style thing. Though personally I prefer:

The problem with grammar, and in this case punctuation, is that there is a very large American influence that confuses us.
    If there is a rule, it’s a rule. Rules should have been taught at school, and once learnt we can devlop styles. If we have a style without knowledge of the rules, it’s wrong!
    The grammar threads demonstrate that there is no clear knowledge as people will argue that they correct, in spite of cotradictory rules. If the teachers don’t know the rules, we have no chance.
    If we watch a lot of American TV and read a lot of American literature, we’re going to have an incorrect undertanding of Br Eng.
    I’m also aware of some of the mistakes that I make, but I’m a human being and try to be correct.
    So, in short, it is wrong to cover up a mistake by saying that ‘imo it’s stylistic’!

headfirst
    Free Member

First one innit.

aracer
    Free Member

So, in short, it is wrong to cover up a mistake by saying that ‘imo it’s stylistic’!

I agree with you about the American influence and it appears the comma inside the quotes is an American thing, however double quotes have been in standard usage in the UK for a long time. I’m fairly sure it’s what I was taught in school 40 years ago.

FWIW this is in “KS2 English Grammar, Punctuation & Spelling – Year 3” by CGP.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Grammar question’ is closed to new replies.